Barton admits 'stupid mistakes'

Besty

Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton has admitted he has made a lot of mistakes in his career - but insists that he is trying to become a better person.

"People want to keep beating me with a big stick that I'm a bad boy," Barton told BBC Radio 5live.

"I'm not a bad boy. People who know me, whose opinions I respect, know what kind of person I am."

Barton, 24, was speaking before pleading not guilty to attacking a team-mate whilst at Manchester City.

He joined the Magpies in a £5.8m deal from City in June, but is unlikely to make his debut until the end of September after fracturing a metatarsal.

Barton, who did not specifically talk about the incident which involved former team-mate Ousmane Dabo said: "I'm a human being and I've made mistakes - stupid mistakes and a few of them.

"I've also stood up and said I was wrong and what can I do to put it right.

"I've never shunned away from the fact that I've been in trouble.

"I'll make bad decisions and make good decisions, just like anyone else - I'm not some superhuman robot just because I play football.

"My life is lived out in the public forum and people only get to see the side of me that makes mistakes and they don't see the real me.

"I'm a human being. I've made a lot of mistakes, but I'm learning from them.

"I've been trying to lead a good life and be a good person."

Didn't he say the same thing after he stubbed that cigar out on a youth players' eye?

After Tandy set fire to his shirt?

I think Barton needs to learn when and when not to retaliate ;)

Seriously?

I hate Barton's reputation, but the cigar thing sounds like retaliation-if some uppity little tramp did that to me, I'd have lost the plot too. The Dabo thing sounds like retaliation also. The taxi driver thing came out as bollocks, as well.

He's no angel, his retaliation is insanely OTT though.

Edited by Barney

He always sounds surprisingly eloquent when I have heard him, if you ignore the accent. I heard a couple of

interviews at mancity which surprised me at the time. I thought he would be a typical mug but he had some good stuff to say.

I was quite pleased when he signed because of this.

He does seem to be a complete heedtheball on occasion though - I think he might be intelligent to grow out of it, assuming he doesnt get

banged up of course.

If he can curb the off field stupidity and violence he will be a hell of a player, if he doesnt he will end up inside

He always sounds surprisingly eloquent when I have heard him, if you ignore the accent. I heard a couple of

interviews at mancity which surprised me at the time. I thought he would be a typical mug but he had some good stuff to say.

I was quite pleased when he signed because of this.

He does seem to be a complete heedtheball on occasion though - I think he might be intelligent to grow out of it, assuming he doesnt get

banged up of course.

If he can curb the off field stupidity and violence he will be a hell of a player, if he doesnt he will end up inside

Beat me to it, was going to say how amazing it is that someone that speaks so much sense can be such a complete nutcase.

Barton's come out and presented himself as the person I always perceived him to be. He's a far better speaker in interviews than the majority of footballers I;ve heard and he obviously makes an effort to be a nice guy. It's understandable really when you consider his troubled background and the troubles he clearly faces today, that he might act a bit of a nutcase at times.

Barton's come out and presented himself as the person I always perceived him to be. He's a far better speaker in interviews than the majority of footballers I;ve heard and he obviously makes an effort to be a nice guy. It's understandable really when you consider his troubled background and the troubles he clearly faces today, that he might act a bit of a nutcase at times.

I can understand your point of view but his problems and background should not count as a valid reason for beating the living shit out of dabo and putting a cigarette in a teenagers eye at city lol.

I can understand your point of view but his problems and background should not count as a valid reason for beating the living shit out of dabo and putting a cigarette in a teenagers eye at city lol.

You are an idiot.

Obviously not valid, but there's obviously reasons why he's done them, not just a case of him being a psycho lol.

I might start putting a piece of sellotape over one of my eye lids then walk into a police station claiming someone's just beat the shit out of me, had bigger bruises on my balls after a nasty dry, wanking session tbh

He's French tbh.

Didn't he say the same thing after he stubbed that cigar out on a youth players' eye?

After Tandy set fire to his shirt?

I think Barton needs to learn when and when not to retaliate ;)

Seriously?

I hate Barton's reputation, but the cigar thing sounds like retaliation-if some uppity little tramp did that to me, I'd have lost the plot too. The Dabo thing sounds like retaliation also. The taxi driver thing came out as bollocks, as well.

He's no angel, his retaliation is insanely OTT though.

Yep, Tandy took a lighter to his shirt. Although you hear more about Barton putting a cigar in his eye, they both got bollocked by the club. It's just that Tandy isn't famous.