50 Cent Will Quit The Music Industry

Happy Face

50 Cent has said that he will quit the music industry if his new album fails to outsell rap rival Kanye West.

As has been widely reported, both US rap stars will release their new albums on September 11th in the United States.

Speaking in America, 50 Cent said that if his album, ‘Curtis,’ fails to outsell Kanye’s, ‘Graduation,’ then he’ll no longer “put out anymore solo albums."

"Let's raise the stakes,” he told SOHH. “If Kanye West sells more records than 50 Cent on September 11th, I'll no longer write music. I'll write music and work with my other artists, but I won't put out anymore solo albums."

50 Cent’s comments come days after West turned down the opportunity to have a live presidential-style TV debate with the rapper on American television.

http://www.gigwise.com/news.asp?contentid=36085

Come on Kanye son, you can do it.

They aren't putting their albums on sale on September 11th to cash in on the death of thousands of people on the most famous date in the calendar all around the world, are they?

;)

Tacky tbs tbs

They aren't putting their albums on sale on September 11th to cash in on the death of thousands of people on the most famous date in the calendar all around the world, are they?

;)

Tacky tbs tbs

You reckon the memory of a terrorist atrocity would make people more likely to buy hip-hop records? :)

Anyway I'm off to pre-order 1000 Kanye records.

• 1 month later...

Surprise, surprise he's changing his tune now that it's clear Kanye is outselling him.

Yet another update in the 50 Cent/Kanye West battle has surfaced. After first-day sales began to surface on Tuesday (September 11) and Wednesday (September 12), showing that 50's Curtis has sold nearly 200,000 less than 'Ye's Gradation, 50 Cent has responded.

Earlier Wednesday, 50 Cent was on the air with Angie Martinez on New York's Hot 97 radio station

In response losing the sales race, 50 Cent blamed his label, Interscope Records, for not setting up the record correctly.

"To be honest, the process of selling this record hasn't been fun," 50 Cent said on the radio. "I'm happy with the performance, but I'm not happy with the set up. We had conference calls and after we created this plan, nobody actually had a plan."

"It was the label," he continued. "They're dropping the ball all over the place. I'll release my next album and then I'm a free agent."

Early sales data from Nielsen SoundScan puts Kanye ahead at a ratio of 2 to 1 (see "Kanye West Well Ahead Of 50 Cent In First-Day Sales").

50 had said before the release of his album, that if his rival (West) were to outsell him, he would retire from rapping. But, with sale figures in, the G-Unit general is singing another tune.

Instead of a retirement, 50 warned that he will now "put his face paint on" and "go to war with the whole Def Jam," claiming that with every priority release from the label, he would release a project to compete.

"Hypothetically, if I came in under Kanye West, I would release a new album every time Def Jam had a priority. I would release a record verses every one of their top priorities," the rapper said.

Despite the threats, 50 called the early sales figures not accurate. "Those reports may not count everything or be accurate," he explained.

The race is on and everyone will find out come next week when official chartings and sales come back.

Sadly 50 won.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/conte...c711447a074c86

European Charts Favour Fiddy Over Kanye

September 20, 2007 - Global

By Paul Sexton and Juliana Koranteng, London

Kanye West may have trounced 50 Cent in the battle of the heavyweight rappers on The Billboard 200, and indeed in the United Kingdom, but across Europe as a whole the tables are turned.

Cent's "Curtis" (Aftermath/G-Unit/Interscope) debuts at No. 1 on European Top 100 Albums, while West's "Graduation" (Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam) can only enter at No. 3.

Cent's release scores a chart-topping debut in Switzerland and Ireland, while West is on top only in the United Kingdom, where sales of 84,000 outdo his rival's 72,000. But "Curtis" scores five other top five entries, in France, Germany, Austria, Holland and Norway, versus three for "Graduation," in Norway, Ireland and Switzerland.

Coming after his last-minute cancellation of his European promotional visit (Billboard.biz, Sept. 18, 2007), 50 Cent's regional chart-topping status could yet provide encouragement if he considers reversing his recent pledge to retire as a solo act if rival rapper Kanye West outsold him in the charts.

Billboard's European Top 100 collates data from charts in 19 European territories. In major markets such as Italy, Germany, and France, "Curtis" respectively reached No. 9, No. 2, and No. 3. The album reached No.2 in the United Kingdom, and No. 3 in both Flemish-speaking Belgium and the Netherlands.

West, on the other hand, could only manage No. 3 in Billboard's European Top 100. He was particularly vulnerable because of his showings in Italy (No. 33), Germany (No. 10), France (No. 9) and Spain, where he has not yet charted.

Both artists are also in the top 10 of the Eurochart Hot 100 Singles, with "Ayo Technology" by 50 Cent featuring Justin Timberlake and Timbaland holding at No. 4 and West's "Stronger" at No. 6.

In between 50 Cent and West on the Top 100 Albums, French star Manu Chao dips 1-2 with "La Radiolina" (Because). The title adds a No.1 entry in Greece, a 3-1 climb in the Belgian region of Flanders and a No.3 start in Hungary.Curtis has already racked up sales of nearly 2 million in less than a week and appears on track to match the records set by 50 Cent's previous albums, Get Rich or Die Tryin', which sold 11 million copies and became the top-selling record of 2003, and The Massacre , released in 2005 with sales of nearly 8 million.