Viduka aims swipe at Boro

bawan

Newcastle new boy Mark Viduka has accused old club Middlesbrough of not doing enough to keep him at The Riverside.

Viduka joined Newcastle on a free transfer earlier this summer after seeing out his contract at Middlesbrough.

The Australian international, who made his Newcastle debut against Bolton on Saturday, admits he was surprised Middlesbrough did not try harder to keep hold of him.

"To be honest at the time I was surprised. Most people were, including other players, that there was no offer made earlier," Viduka told the Sunday Mirror.

"It is disappointing when you have played for a club and you want to do well and it comes to a point where you don't know if you are staying or going with six months of your contract left.

"You are free at the end of the contract and you have to start thinking of your future.

"Middlesbrough do not look after you in that sense. They never got around to it. The club gets a lot of situations like that. It happened with Bolo Zenden and then me - and it could be Mark Schwarzer below next."

Viduka also shrugged off claims from Middlesbrough chief executive Keith Lamb that the former Leeds striker was only prolific in the final six months of the three year contract.

"He had a lot of pressure on him and he wanted to react. I can't comment on what Keith Lamb says," added Viduka.

"I gave everything in every game. Some games I didn't play well, some I did. If I didn't play well I wouldn't have had any clubs after me.

"I would like to think I played well for Boro. Some footballers go unappreciated but that is a different story."

Watching Boro on MOTD and seeing the banks of empty seats for the first Prem game of the season yesterday (absolute disgrace), it's understandable why he'd want to leave, regardless of any new offer of a contract. He'll be stunned running out in front of a full home stadium next weekend.

Watching Boro on MOTD and seeing the banks of empty seats for the first Prem game of the season yesterday (absolute disgrace), it's understandable why he'd want to leave, regardless of any new offer of a contract. He'll be stunned running out in front of a full home stadium next weekend.

The Smogs are such a mickey mouse club, to have so many gaps in the ground for the first game of the season, nice weather, not on Sky, and no other feeble excuses for them not to be there.

I also like the fact their fans think us and the mackems give a shit about them, and see them as a some sort of rival!

Agree with Gemmil on the empty stadium thing. Absolutely no excuse for it. Southgate was practically begging them last week to buy season tickets.

I think they'll struggle this season. Must be difficult playing in your home stadium in front of a half empty stadium.

I really do feel sorry for Gibson. Seems like a top bloke, unfortunately he supports a Mickey Mouse club.

Gibson is and always has been wasted on that shower, without him they would probably have gone bust again and ertainly wouldn't be bothering the premier league for a good long while!

He must be tearing his hair out when he sees such piss poor crowds no matter what they do.

Summed them up perfectly when Southgate said he was proud to see Alan Smith consider them even though he turned them down to come to us...

Aye, something to be really proud of eh!