Carlisle dismiss manager McDonald

ewerk

Carlisle United have sacked manager Neil McDonald after just one match of the new League One season.

The shock move was revealed in a statement on the club's website.

"The board of Carlisle United regret to say that they have lost confidence in Neil McDonald and are terminating his contract forthwith," it read.

"They thank him for his hard work at the club and wish him all the best for his future career. Gregg Abbott has been appointed as caretaker manager."

The dismissal comes just two days after the Cumbrians began the new season with a 1-1 draw at Carlisle - having broken their transfer record to sign Blackburn striker Joe Garner for £140,000 on Friday.

Full story to follow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/6944015.stm

Wonder what went on there. Wouldn't be surprised if Sam was trying to recruit him now.

WTF? :lol:

One game in, and having drawn away from home and he's gone? Something other than the football is taking over there IMO. Is that tit Knighton still in charge?

Carlisle United have sacked manager Neil McDonald after just one match of the new League One season.

"The board of Carlisle United regret to say that they have lost confidence in Neil McDonald and are terminating his contract forthwith," it read.

"They thank him for his hard work at the club and wish him all the best for his future career. Gregg Abbott has been appointed as caretaker manager."

The dismissal comes just two days after the Cumbrians began the new season with a 1-1 draw at Carlisle - having broken their transfer record to sign Blackburn striker Joe Garner for £140,000 on Friday.

Full story to follow.

Wonder what went on there. Wouldn't be surprised if Sam was trying to recruit him now.

Completely irrational and unwarranted, but I am incapable of sympathy for Neil McDonald. Stems from when he jumped ship to Everton for £2 million in 88, they beat us 4-0 on the opening day of the season and we got relegated. At least thats if memory serves. Don't know what it was specifically but there was just something really aggravating about the Neil McDonald transfer. Gazza transfer etc was inevitable, but McDonald was mediocre at best and yet even he thought he was too good for us. Couldnt seem to leave fast enough and you just sort of knew we were on the road to relegation.

I remember his 'come and rescue me' plea to the Toon when the Keegan revolution was taking off. Smug-con 5 tbh.

Full story to follow.

Completely irrational and unwarranted, but I am incapable of sympathy for Neil McDonald. Stems from when he jumped ship to Everton for £2 million in 88, they beat us 4-0 on the opening day of the season and we got relegated. At least thats if memory serves. Don't know what it was specifically but there was just something really aggravating about the Neil McDonald transfer. Gazza transfer etc was inevitable, but McDonald was mediocre at best and yet even he thought he was too good for us. Couldnt seem to leave fast enough and you just sort of knew we were on the road to relegation.

I remember his 'come and rescue me' plea to the Toon when the Keegan revolution was taking off. Smug-con 5 tbh.

IIRC, he left because we kept insisting on playing him in midfield rather than his favoured right back position. Dunno about the £2m fee though, that's what we sold Gazza for and it was no-where near that high. I thought it was about £600k we sold him for.

Sorry, yeah you're right about the fee. I was conflating it with the Gazza transfer as I was thinking about them in the same breath. Was circa half mill as you say.

Did the Gazza record remain til Roy Keane btw at £3.2?? Or were there some £2.5's in the interim? I just remember 2 million being massive at the time and then 3.2 million being absolutely astronomical, but by that stage we were getting in to the Sky money era and it all changed forever. In fact weren't Citeh paying stupid money in between - 2 point odd for Terry Phelan and roughly 2 million for Keith Curle, both from Wimbledon?

Sorry, yeah you're right about the fee. I was conflating it with the Gazza transfer as I was thinking about them in the same breath. Was circa half mill as you say.

Did the Gazza record remain til Roy Keane btw at £3.2?? Or were there some £2.5's in the interim? I just remember 2 million being massive at the time and then 3.2 million being absolutely astronomical, but by that stage we were getting in to the Sky money era and it all changed forever. In fact weren't Citeh paying stupid money in between - 2 point odd for Terry Phelan and roughly 2 million for Keith Curle, both from Wimbledon?

Not sure but, like you say £2m was massive. I just remember the Beardsley one because it was him leaving us really. Shearer was a record when he went to Blackburn though I think. A British record that is and that was 'only' £3.6m. I think Keane broke it the following year. I'm not sure though. It seems like absolutely ages ago when Keane joined Man Utd. btw.

Full story to follow.

IIRC, he left because we kept insisting on playing him in midfield rather than his favoured right back position. Dunno about the £2m fee though, that's what we sold Gazza for and it was no-where near that high. I thought it was about £600k we sold him for.

Thing I most remember about 'Spotty' McDonald was his fantastic ability to cross a ball. Maybe why he was played more in midfield as I can't recall too much about his full back skills tbh.

Regarding his dismissal by Carlisle, it doesn't take an Einstein to deduce that there's more to this than meets the eye. Maybe we'll find out in due course. Oooh, gossip!!!

Guest stevieintoon

Full story to follow.

Was £575,000 not £2m, and his reasons for leaving were fair enough. The toon had continually sold their best players in the previous three seasons, added to that was the fact he felt his best position was at right back, and WMF had continually used him at right midfield. Everton offered him their right back spot, so he went, and in all honesty Everton 1988 were a better club than Newcastle 1988, after all they won the Championship 15 month before he made his move.

He used to live beside me, and I knocked on his door for his autograph, he couldn't have been nicer, signed a signed photo had a quick chat about the toon, and we were away, seemed a cracking bloke.

Anyway what's happened at Carlisle is a disgrace, they finished in their best league position for 20 years last season, their squad is improving, they get a draw at a team who won a division last year with a fantastic home record, and he gets sacked. Whatever their board say, it's fuck all to do with his managerial abilities, and I'm convinced he'll manage a far bigger club than Carlisle United, because he deserves it.

Full story to follow.

Was £575,000 not £2m, and his reasons for leaving were fair enough. The toon had continually sold their best players in the previous three seasons, added to that was the fact he felt his best position was at right back, and WMF had continually used him at right midfield. Everton offered him their right back spot, so he went, and in all honesty Everton 1988 were a better club than Newcastle 1988, after all they won the Championship 15 month before he made his move.

He used to live beside me, and I knocked on his door for his autograph, he couldn't have been nicer, signed a signed photo had a quick chat about the toon, and we were away, seemed a cracking bloke.

Anyway what's happened at Carlisle is a disgrace, they finished in their best league position for 20 years last season, their squad is improving, they get a draw at a team who won a division last year with a fantastic home record, and he gets sacked. Whatever their board say, it's fuck all to do with his managerial abilities, and I'm convinced he'll manage a far bigger club than Carlisle United, because he deserves it.

Aye, well I'm not disputing any of that. Like I said from the outset, it's completely irrational and unwarranted.

He was joining a top club (of the time) and even before the season began, for me it just represented the point where I knew we were on our way down, so when you put those two contrasting fortunes together it just made it all the more difficult for an eleven year old to take.

Guest stevieintoon

Full story to follow.

Aye, well I'm not disputing any of that. Like I said from the outset, it's completely irrational and unwarranted.

He was joining a top club (of the time) and even before the season began, for me it just represented the point where I knew we were on our way down, so when you put those two contrasting fortunes together it just made it all the more difficult for an eleven year old to take.

I hear ye, I was ten at the time, and didn't miss a game the previous season when we came 8th.

Not sure but, like you say £2m was massive. I just remember the Beardsley one because it was him leaving us really. Shearer was a record when he went to Blackburn though I think. A British record that is and that was 'only' £3.6m. I think Keane broke it the following year. I'm not sure though. It seems like absolutely ages ago when Keane joined Man Utd. btw.

Gazza didn't hold the record for very long IIRC. Didn't Cottee go to Everton a few weeks later for £2.2m? And then Pallister's move to Man Utd was a bit more a season later.

Talking about British records being 'only' .... Sutton went to Blackburn for a record £5m in 1994 and Cole broke that record 6 months later when he left us for the Scum for £7m. Chicken feed compared to the fee someone paid for Shearer 18 months later though! :lol:

Gazza didn't hold the record for very long IIRC. Didn't Cottee go to Everton a few weeks later for £2.2m? And then Pallister's move to Man Utd was a bit more a season later.

Talking about British records being 'only' .... Sutton went to Blackburn for a record £5m in 1994 and Cole broke that record 6 months later when he left us for the Scum for £7m. Chicken feed compared to the fee someone paid for Shearer 18 months later though! :lol:

Shearers was astronomical at the time. Money well spent in the end though!

• 2 weeks later...