Owen: I'm Up For Villa Date

Smitheh

Owen: I'm Up For Villa Date

MICHAEL Owen came through 60 minutes of his comeback match and afterwards declared himself and fit and available for Aston Villa on Saturday.

Newcastle United's record signing missed the bulk of the pre-season and the opening day 3-1 win at Bolton with a niggling thigh complaint.

But, after a run-out at Kingston Park against Unibond outfit Newvcastle Blue Star, the 27-year-old told Newcastle World TV in an exclsuive interview that he is now raring to go again.

"I feel fine, it was only a small injury, a little niggle.

"It had me out for a couple of weeks but I've trained the last four or five days and I was confident I'd be fine and it was good to get back out on the pitch.

"It's a little frustrating to have missed some of the pre-season games but I've been able to do all the running work.

"It's only in the last couple of weeks when I might've missed a little bit of football and tactical work so I don't think I've missed much in terms of fitness and strength which is crucial and I've still been working hard in the gym.

"As a player you always look forward to the first game of the season and it's a little frustrating if you miss it.

"I probably vould've played a part against Bolton but I'm pleased we took the decision not to play. It means I've only missed one game and now I'm available again.

"I'd been doing a bit of shooting practice when I just felt my thigh a little and probably hit one ball too many.

"I'm available again now and I feel fit and playing again was great. I'll train for the next few days and I'll be available for Saturday."

I think he probably should start on the bench and ease himself back into it, and Martins deserves to start anyway after the Bolton match. How frightening is it that we're thinking Owen can wait for his place in the team!!!!!

If the game is going well then he can come on in a good situation with a chance of getting amongs the goals and i think it will be. If it should happen to not be going so well he can come off the bench and maybe turn the game, either way it would be good!

Probably worried about getting kicked up into the air by some nobody trying to m,ake a name for himself. If he's fit, and Sam can get him into the line up beside Martins-Viduka, then great-otherwise I'd be tempted to start with the same team. Milner's crossing was good on Saturday. That's something that none of our strikers can offer and it would be harsh on Milly to be dropped.

Would be harsh to drop anyone except Carr for Villa. Let Owen start on the bench and if we get off to a good start then bring him on for Milner in the second half, I must admit seeing Owen, Oba & Vid as a front three excites me.

Will Enrique start at LB?

What was Capaca like last night?

Apparently he didnt looktoo arsed last night? Keep him in the reserves until he looks like hes actually interested i say.

Aye, you'd expect him to bust a gut and be flying into tackles against Newcastle Bluestar in a comeback match :nufc::lol:

Probably worried about getting kicked up into the air by some nobody trying to make a name for himself.

Why do people assume that when Newcastle play a non-league side all they're going to do is kick players up a height?

Blue Star featured a number of former NUFC reserve regulars last night as well as a couple of players who are (as far as I know) currently playing football full-time.

Last night was supposed to be a chance for Owen to get fit and watching the ball go past you when it's five yards away is not going to do much to help get match sharpness back.

Would rather he played no part against Villa unless we're struggling. I'm wary about rushing players back and I simply don't think he has got enough football under his belt to just jump straight back into the first team.

Maybe another reserves game for him and then I'd be more confident in him.

Would rather he played no part against Villa unless we're struggling. I'm wary about rushing players back and I simply don't think he has got enough football under his belt to just jump straight back into the first team.

Maybe another reserves game for him and then I'd be more confident in him.

I don't think he is being rushed back. Not Alladyce's style and there's no real need. If the niggle's cleared up though he should be on the bench at least as he needs games now.

Apparently he didnt looktoo arsed last night? Keep him in the reserves until he looks like hes actually interested i say.

He never normaly looks arsed, just pops up with a goal every now and then!

Guest stevieintoon
Gonna have to earn your place now cockmuncher. :lol:

I hope Martins gets a hattrick and Viduka has a stormer, thus leaving him consigned to the bench for weeks, he wouldn't be arsed anyway as long as "Steve" picks him. Get him in for the League Cup games.

Dropping any of the forwards to accomodate Owen after Saturday's performance would send the wrong message to the squad. That's not Sam's style and he'll do the right thing and start Owen on the bench.

It's great to have competition for places but to have the England centre forward not an automatic choice for the 1st eleven is unbelievable! What a fucking great start to the season!!!

Gonna have to earn your place now cockmuncher. :lol:

I hope Martins gets a hattrick and Viduka has a stormer, thus leaving him consigned to the bench for weeks, he wouldn't be arsed anyway as long as "Steve" picks him. Get him in for the League Cup games.

Let's boo him.