What were you thinking?!

The Fish

just curious.. :woosh:

What's your biggest mistake? (whether you regret it or not :huff: )

Mine would be getting engaged at such a young age, wanted to escalate a relationship but lacked the imagination or maturity to come up with something more creative than proposing. I did it properly mind, one knee, a ring three times my (weekly) wage, lock, stock, the fucking lot. Stupid, cliched and bromidic in hindsight, but I've learnt a lot from that episode of my life so it's partly a good thing to have happened. But all in all I think that it was my biggest mistake.

just curious.. :woosh:

What's your biggest mistake? (whether you regret it or not :huff: )

This must be the most homosexualist thread ive seen in a long time. You do realise you are male fish and us males dont sit at home contemplating lifes biggest mistakes and where we would be today if fate had just steered us in the other direction

Ok, so in the interests of saving The Fish's turtle neck, I'll say that I think that the biggest mistake I've made so far would be the undertaking of this PhD. The only part of the three years I can say that I have enjoyed was the 6 months I spent working in Italy, the rest has been a total drag, and I realise that it really wasn't something I was cut out to do. Whether this has been down to the lack of supervision I have received or just my waning interest in the subject, an interest I have to say wasn't huge to begin with, I'm not sure. I probably fell into doing it as it seemed like an easy option when it was offered. Now it just feels like I've put myself three years behind everyone else in my group. Totally pointless and I have little inclination to finish and no intention of using what I have learned in the future.

One big mistake was applying for funding for an HND in Operations Engineering last year, had to bow and scrape to the departmental manager to agree to fund it, then after the first lecture I realised that given the amount of the course I would miss due to work commitments, there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell of passing it, so I quit in the first week quickly before any funds changed hands.

Then had to explain in detail to my boss as to why I'd chicken'd out, talk about bruised ego.

rather start a thread which provokes introspection than dribbling on like a pissed up waster trying to groom her next cybersex victime or wittering on about Arcade machines in the futile hope that someday, someone will think they're cool again. :woosh:

Ok, so in the interests of saving The Fish's turtle neck, I'll say that I think that the biggest mistake I've made so far would be the undertaking of this PhD. The only part of the three years I can say that I have enjoyed was the 6 months I spent working in Italy, the rest has been a total drag, and I realise that it really wasn't something I was cut out to do. Whether this has been down to the lack of supervision I have received or just my waning interest in the subject, an interest I have to say wasn't huge to begin with, I'm not sure. I probably fell into doing it as it seemed like an easy option when it was offered. Now it just feels like I've put myself three years behind everyone else in my group. Totally pointless and I have little inclination to finish and no intention of using what I have learned in the future.

What have you been studying?

rather start a thread which provokes introspection than dribbling on like a pissed up waster trying to groom her next cybersex victime or wittering on about Arcade machines in the futile hope that someday, someone will think they're cool again. :huff:

:woosh:

Carried straight on after I finished my Mechanical Engineering Masters, the research started as looking at particle transport and deposition in the lungs, ended up being much less relevant, in my eyes anyway, more theoretical. The thing is I actually enjoyed my first degree, whether that was down to people I was with on my course, or the actual content I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm starting a complete fresh in a couple of weeks.

Getting engaged young always seems to be a mistake in my experience. I know a few lasses who have been engaged a few times in their life without really having the intention of seeing in through. A lass I work with got engaged at 17, 5 months into a relationship with her fella who she told me had been asking her out for the last 18 months. Honestly how is that going to work? If it took him 18 months to grind her down and her to finally agree to it I can't see solid foundations for marriage (where obviously they claim to be prepared to spend the rest of their lives together).

Carried straight on after I finished my Mechanical Engineering Masters, the research started as looking at particle transport and deposition in the lungs, ended up being much less relevant, in my eyes anyway, more theoretical. The thing is I actually enjoyed my first degree, whether that was down to people I was with on my course, or the actual content I'm not sure.

starting afresh? I'm intrigued.

(When I read "Particle Transport" I immediately thought Star Trek)

rather start a thread which provokes introspection than dribbling on like a pissed up waster trying to groom her next cybersex victime or wittering on about Arcade machines in the futile hope that someday, someone will think they're cool again. :huff:

fuck you...miserable bastid....

Getting engaged young always seems to be a mistake in my experience. I know a few lasses who have been engaged a few times in their life without really having the intention of seeing in through. A lass I work with got engaged at 17, 5 months into a relationship with her fella who she told me had been asking her out for the last 18 months. Honestly how is that going to work? If it took him 18 months to grind her down and her to finally agree to it I can't see solid foundations for marriage (where obviously they claim to be prepared to spend the rest of their lives together).

Loads of people say they're engaged when they aren't too. A lad I know claimed to have gotten engaged to this younger lass he was seeing. My mate said to him "Are you moving in together?" To which he answered "No". He then asked "Have you set a date to get married?" To which he answered "No". He then asked "Have you bought her a ring?" To which he answered "No". My mate said "Well, you aren't really engaged, are you?" To which he answered, rather sheepishly "No". :woosh: They were finished about a month later.

The lunchtime drinks buzz just starting to turn stale.

have not had a drink since Sunday...actually have a stomach bug and what feels like the beginning of a migraine...so ner !

rather start a thread which provokes introspection than dribbling on like a pissed up waster trying to groom her next cybersex victime or wittering on about Arcade machines in the futile hope that someday, someone will think they're cool again. <_<

:huff:

have not had a drink since Sunday...actually have a stomach bug and what feels like the beginning of a migraine...so ner !

Wow, 3 days. :woosh:

not taking a year off between school uni and work. i've been away travelling a fair bit but my only real regrets is not going away for a year or more. now i've got a mortgage and a serious job it's not going to happen.

although i do get a 4 week paid sabbatical every 4 years so it's not all bad. i went on a month long roadtrip of california this year that was pretty sweet.

rather start a thread which provokes introspection than dribbling on like a pissed up waster trying to groom her next cybersex victime or wittering on about Arcade machines in the futile hope that someday, someone will think they're cool again. :o

:huff:

Wow, 3 days. :woosh:

<_< whatever...

Sorry Dawson :woosh:

rather start a thread which provokes introspection than dribbling on like a pissed up waster trying to groom her next cybersex victime or wittering on about Arcade machines in the futile hope that someday, someone will think they're cool again. <_<

Sorry Dawson :huff:

:woosh: now that is funny....

All joking aside, thats who you remind me of fish. With your fancy vocabulary, reflections on life etc. I bet you had a few 'joey like' relationships in your youth didnt you.

genuinely never watched Dawsons Creek (I presume that's what you're talking about) so I son't know what "joey like" relationships would be like.

from what I can extract from my scant knowledge of the show, I'd wager my reflections on life are pretty polar to the character's.

I'm just not embarrassed about having conversations about feelings, emotions etc.

anyway this was about mistakes, nobody said it had to be an emotional or romantic regret, in fact the majority seem to refer to scholastic or vocational choices instead.

perhaps theres a deep seated issue that you ache to share with the world, but are so terrified it would lead you down a tortous path of introspection and self-appraisal you daren't.

or perhaps you're dead inside :woosh:

starting afresh? I'm intrigued.

(When I read "Particle Transport" I immediately thought Star Trek)

Trainee Accountant....Gemmill be buggered.

And no, we have neither Warp Factor 5 or any "beaming up" going on round here.