Keane has a pop at the WAGs.

Guest alex

Keane launches Wag culture tirade

Sunderland boss Roy Keane has hit out at "weak" Premier League players for allowing their wives and girlfriends (Wags) to dictate their careers. The former Manchester United captain has been frustrated in his attempts to lure players to Wearside this summer.

He said: "These so-called big stars are people we are supposed to be looking up to. Well they are weak and soft. "If they don't want to come because their wife wants to go shopping in London it's a sad state of affairs." Keane has spent nearly £30m on new players this summer but has seen several of his top targets spurn a move to the north-east.

The newly promoted club finished bottom of the league with a record low of 15 points the last time they were promoted to the top flight. And they are again one of the favourites to be relegated this season. But Keane feels overbearing wives and girlfriends are to blame for Sunderland's difficulties in attracting top players and feels the current generation of players need to get their priorities in order.

He added: "I can understand the attraction of people wanting to go to London - if you are talking about Arsenal, Chelsea or Tottenham. If people want to go somewhere else to another football club then fair enough, as long as it is for a footballing reason. But there are players going to clubs in London simply because it is London. To me, that is wrong. It is not a football move, it is a lifestyle move and those are the type of people you don't want at your club. It is not a problem for me but it is a fact. To me, that player is weak because his wife runs his life.

You don't need to live in Manchester or London to be happy. That happens at the big clubs as well. I could name four big players and clearly their wives and girlfriends are running their lives because they are doing these photoshoots and that kind of stuff.

"They say they are not comfortable doing it and are being dragged along. Well don't do it."

The straight-talking Keane has hit the headlines in the past for tirades against both Manchester United fans, who he labelled the prawn sandwich brigade, and the club's underperforming players. He left Old Trafford for a brief spell at Celtic after an outburst aimed at some United players on the club's television channel. But Keane's fierce determination and dedication to the game made him one of the most successful players in the history of English football.

He revealed: "A couple of years ago I nearly went to Juventus. People spoke to me about Turin and told me Milan would be a nicer place to go. I told them I wasn't going for the shops, I am going because it is Juventus. If there is nothing to do then find something to do. Someone once told me that people who are bored are boring. People who get bored coming to the north-east are bored because they are boring. It is nothing to do with the shops. Maybe it is because I am not a great shopper but football has got to be a priority. You don't need to live in Manchester or London to be happy. You don't need to be surrounded by expensive shops or fancy cars. We have had one or two players this year and their wives are clearly part of the package. We had one player this summer who didn't even have the courtesy to call us back because his wife wanted to move to London - and shopping was mentioned."

Meanwhile, Keane, whose side take on Birmingham on Wednesday, says he is hopeful of getting in two more players before the transfer deadline closes on 31 August.

He said: "When I first got the job at Sunderland there were one or two players who I felt were not really up to the job, or not 100% focused or were focusing on a contract at another club. But I have got the feeling with the squad I am building here that when the whistle goes they will give 100%. That is no guarantee to win a football match but that is all I am asking. I am very pleased with the players we have got in but I do believe we need two more players to help the squad."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...and/6947333.stm

Talking sense or making excuses for not being able to attract players? I have to say, I fucking hate the air-headed, aspirational 'I just want to be famous' culture which the WAGs are an example of.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He makes a lot of sense. Case in point David Beckham.

He should still be plying his trade in Europe, but his missus wants to live it up in LA and have a TV show and all that rubbish. So far with what she's dished up over there is downright embarrassing. She makes the English look like complete twats. She probably sees Paris Hilton galavanting around and thinks that is pish. Silly cranky looking bimbo she is.

As you can tell, I can't stand her, and it's unfortunate that David Beckham allows too much of her wants to dictate his life. Fair enough if they eventually went to America, but maybe wait until he's 34-35. What a waste!

That is just one of many examples, and probably the most extreme one to be honest.

Not enough people like Keane in the game tbh. Might have been a twat at times, but he says it like it is. No BS. Will always love him for telling that coward Vieira to "Go play for Senegal since you talk about it all the time..." :woosh:

Not sure Beckham counts tbh. His wife followed him to Madrid and while she may not be everyones cup of tea, she's entitled to also make decisions for the family. I agree with a lot of what Keane says about WAGS, but the Beckhams have been married for many years. I have no problem with give and take in a relationship.

Someone once told me that people who are bored are boring

My nanna allways used to say that when i complained about watching countdown.

:woosh:

I respect Keane for what he's saying here, its true.

Not sure Beckham counts tbh. His wife followed him to Madrid and while she may not be everyones cup of tea, she's entitled to also make decisions for the family. I agree with a lot of what Keane says about WAGS, but the Beckhams have been married for many years. I have no problem with give and take in a relationship.

IIRC he wasn't so sure about going there as she wasn't then she went there and liked it and suddenly so did he. She then spend a lot of time in the arsehole of the universe for her "singing" career, but that wasn't because she didn't like Madrid, just she needed to be there to feed her publicity machine.

Now the truly scary thing is that I know this when frankly I'm 100% sure the world would be a much better place without Posh spice and I couldn't care less what she did/does, but it shows the power of media osmosis.

IIRC he wasn't so sure about going there as she wasn't then she went there and liked it and suddenly so did he. She then spend a lot of time in the arsehole of the universe for her "singing" career, but that wasn't because she didn't like Madrid, just she needed to be there to feed her publicity machine.

Now the truly scary thing is that I know this when frankly I'm 100% sure the world would be a much better place without Posh spice and I couldn't care less what she did/does, but it shows the power of media osmosis.

I'm making the point that in football women are seen as accessories. The fact that she "dares" to have a career is treated with derision. She's more successful than anyone I know to be fair and sold millions of records. Manufactured or not, it's still her that did it.

I'm making the point that in football women are seen as accessories. The fact that she "dares" to have a career is treated with derision. She's more successful than anyone I know to be fair and sold millions of records. Manufactured or not, it's still her that did it.

Nah the Spice Girls were successful for several reasons (although mostly because they were precisely built to be), but Posh in and of herself did next to nothing solo (but bomb - she can't even sing... at all), in fact the only thing she's really done is create the WAG tbh, which is an impressive feat of media manipulation I admit, but it's nothing to be proud of or to be respectful of, and push Beckham's image into the stratosphere (which is actually fairly impressive - but again was basically done by doing anything and everything to keep him in the papers).

At the end of the day I very much doubt he'd have gone to the USA now (and possibly ever) if it didn't fit her plans.

Nah the Spice Girls were successful for several reasons (although mostly because they were precisely built to be), but Posh in and of herself did next to nothing solo (but bomb - she can't even sing... at all), in fact the only thing she's really done is create the WAG tbh, which is an impressive feat of media manipulation I admit, but it's nothing to be proud of or to be respectful of, and push Beckham's image into the stratosphere (which is actually fairly impressive - but again was basically done by doing anything and everything to keep him in the papers).

At the end of the day I very much doubt he'd have gone to the USA now (and possibly ever) if it didn't fit her plans.

Football is no different to manufactured pop to be fair. :woosh:

The spice girls sold on false feminism (Just like Shelias wheels car insurance)

'girl power' = dress like a whore and sing poorly/generally act like a tit...

"These so-called big stars are people we are supposed to be looking up to. Well they are weak and soft."

"It is not a football move, it is a lifestyle move and those are the type of people you don't want at your club."

"They say they are not comfortable doing it and are being dragged along. Well don't do it."

I must admit, I like the cut of his jib.

Nah in football you do need some talent.

In the pop industry you just need to be presented and timed correctly with someone good at whipping up the media behind you (talent is completely optional).

Yes, I hear what you're saying, and there are similarities I suppose. But I've got a feeling Keane will be a success in management.

Me too, unfortunately. :woosh:

Edited by ewerk

In the pop industry you just need to be presented and timed correctly with someone good at whipping up the media behind you (talent is completely optional).

Awesome.

Being a pop star DOES takes talent...you have to be able to get a reaction and the Spice Girls did that. However vacuous you may think the profession is, putting together a band is as difficult as putting a successful football team together. We are all football fans, but at the end of the day it's no more worthy a pastime than pop music. Footballers are generally uneducated and athletic and spend their youths practicing non-stop. I assure you that it's no different to the kids who go to dance classes and sing karaoke, hoping for a break.

I agree with the main thrust of Keane's point about slappers who just want to be on the TV by shagging a footballer, but Victoria Beckham was independently wealthy and arguably the bigger star when she and Beckham got together. The thing I was objecting to was the sexist tone prevailing. You often hear footballers referring to "the wife" and although not sexist in itself, there is the air of women being second class citizens.

Football is no different to manufactured pop to be fair. :huff:

Being a pop star DOES takes talent...you have to be able to get a reaction and the Spice Girls did that. However vacuous you may think the profession is, putting together a band is as difficult as putting a successful football team together. We are all football fans, but at the end of the day it's no more worthy a pastime than pop music. Footballers are generally uneducated and athletic and spend their youths practicing non-stop. I assure you that it's no different to the kids who go to dance classes and sing karaoke, hoping for a break.

I agree with the main thrust of Keane's point about slappers who just want to be on the TV by shagging a footballer, but Victoria Beckham was independently wealthy and arguably the bigger star when she and Beckham got together. The thing I was objecting to was the sexist tone prevailing. You often hear footballers referring to "the wife" and although not sexist in itself, there is the air of women being second class citizens.

Are they not? :woosh: