McClaren fails in Carragher bid

McClaren fails in Carragher bid

England coach Steve McClaren has failed in his attempt to persuade Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher not to retire from international football.

McClaren said of the 29-year-old: "Unfortunately Jamie stayed with the decision to not be involved with us."

And McClaren also conceded that it was "a blow" that injured striker Wayne Rooney faces a two-month lay-off.

However, Michael Owen and David Beckham are set to be involved in the friendly against Germany on 22 August.

Rooney will miss England's crucial Euro 2008 qualifiers against Israel and Russia in September after suffering a hairline fracture of his left foot.

McClaren added: "Obviously it's a blow because he was looking so fit and well in pre-season. He's a very important player for England.

"I was disappointed on Sunday when I got the call but on Monday we had to move on. We've dealt without him before and we'll have to do so again.

"We've still got Peter Crouch and the likes of Darren Bent, Andy Johnson, Jermain Defoe and David Nugent."

Striker Owen is expected to make his return from a thigh injury in Newcastle's game against Aston Villa at the weekend after playing for an hour in a friendly on Monday.

McClaren said: "I spoke to Owen on Tuesday after he played and he was very buoyant. He's got a few more days training and he will be available at the weekend.

"We have quite a few players in that position - the most important thing is the qualifiers when Michael Owen, Owen Hargreaves, David Beckham will be in better shape."

McClaren is also hopeful that former England captain Beckham will be involved against the Germans, despite only managing 37 minutes of action since joining up with his new club Los Angeles Galaxy.

"We've got to assess that over next few days," added McClaren. "He will be in the squad and I want him to play a part on Wednesday.

"We're keeping in close contact to see his condition. Of course, we would like him to join us on Monday. I spoke to him last week and he is desperate to play for England so it's just a case of getting him fit."

Skipper John Terry should be back from his knee injury for September's competitive games but will definitely miss the Wembley date with Germany.

His absence, along with injuries to Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate, prompted McClaren to make a concerted attempt to try to convince Carragher to reverse his decision to turn his back on his country.

Carragher, who has been capped 34 times for England, has said he does not want to be a bit-part player on the international scene.

The centre-half has been a key figure in the Liverpool side that has reached the Champions League final in two of the last three seasons.

But at international level he has found opportunities hard to come by, with Terry and Rio Ferdinand now firmly established as McClaren's first choices.

Carragher was omitted from England's last game, a Euro 2008 qualifier in Estonia, and expressed his frustration at his place in the national team's pecking order.

McClaren said he would not "close the door" on Carragher returning in the future, while also admitted there is a chance Pompey defender Sol Campbell could be recalled.

The coach said Manchester City full-back Micah Richards could be used as an emergency centre-half.

Fuck him, he should be ashamed at turning his back on his country just because he wasn't picked for his favoured position.

I can see where Carragher is coming from. He's not getting any younger and in recent years, retiring from international football has helped the likes of Shearer and Scholes to play for a few extra years.

He's never going to get a permanent place in the centre of defence. If we didnt have a few injury worries right now, McClaren wouldn't even be batting an eyelid.

Wonder if he'll ring up Adrian Durham for a rant again?

In all seriousness, I think that's possibly one of the reasons he's decided not to accept McLaren's offer. Can you imagine that smug ginger fuckwit if Carragher had renaged? It would be more unbearable that he already is (difficult, I know....)

I hadn't even noticed Carragher had retired from Internationals until we got a few injuries. Almost, but not quite, as significant as when Andy Cole made the same career move.

Also, another point that should be noted is that Scholes and Shearer retired to prolong their club careers. Carragher's doing it because he's a sulky little twat who gets upset when he doesn't get to play where he wants.

Also, another point that should be noted is that Scholes and Shearer retired to prolong their club careers. Carragher's doing it because he's a sulky little twat who gets upset when he doesn't get to play where he wants.

I'm sure he said whats the point in him harming his club career for sitting on the bench.

I'm sure he said whats the point in him harming his club career for sitting on the bench.

What's the point in anyone doing it then? So anyone who isn't going to start but makes the squad should retire as it's a waste of time. Fucking hell, we'll have Jenas retiring from internationals soon!

How has it ever harmed his club career?

The guy is a prick. Never liked him, and I'm glad I never have to see him in an England shirt again.

What's the point in anyone doing it then? So anyone who isn't going to start but makes the squad should retire as it's a waste of time. Fucking hell, we'll have Jenas retiring from internationals soon!

Maybe he thinks at 29 the time spent traveling away with the squad to sit on the bench might be better spent resting so that he can compete for his club that’s going for trophy’s on four fronts?

Or he actually does not care that much about playing for England?

If he thinks being picked to represent his country is some sort of chore, he's better off well away from the squad. Not like a scouser to have a chip on his shoulder is it? :woosh:

Wasn't there something on Popbitch during the last World Cup that all the players families were staying in the same hotel and Carraghers brother gave John Terry's mother a seeing to? Maybe some bad feeling stems from that?