SERPS

Toonraider

Years ago hubby opted out of SERPS being advised at the time that this was the way to go. Now I've been reading that maybe this wasnt such a wise choice and because things have changed so much many people are opting back in.

I must admit I'm totally confused :woosh: as there seems to be no right or wrong answer.

Have any of you opted back in recently?

I've had to opt back in recently due to my company pension being frozen due to the company having been sold, I've now signed up for a new pension with the new company that requires me to opt back in, this means my contributions are higher but pay less NI.

Years ago hubby opted out of SERPS being advised at the time that this was the way to go. Now I've been reading that maybe this wasnt such a wise choice and because things have changed so much many people are opting back in.

I must admit I'm totally confused :woosh: as there seems to be no right or wrong answer.

Have any of you opted back in recently?

Serps is fucking nightmare - i spent an hour this morning trying to write a letter to a customer explaining the ins and outs of the previous earning related scheme which was called Graduated Retirement Benefit (this ended in 1975 and serps replaced it in 1978).

Basically - you need to speak to a financial advisor.

there seems to be no right or wrong answer.

Thats because it all about personal circumstances - what applies to you and your spouse will not apply to another couple.

Serps is fucking nightmare - i spent an hour this morning trying to write a letter to a customer explaining the ins and outs of the previous earning related scheme which was called Graduated Retirement Benefit (this ended in 1975 and serps replaced it in 1978).

Ahhh the wonders of Grad!

Dont suppose you still use the Upratings Incs spreadsheet to calculate the amounts?

Ahhh the wonders of Grad!

Dont suppose you still use the Upratings Incs spreadsheet to calculate the amounts?

Er - you mean a spread sheet for calculating grad? then no - we just look at NIRS (and assume its correct).

Got spreadsheets for just about everything else though - pre16 credits, substitutions, pro rata blah blah blah

Fuck me, I stay away from this place for a week and it turns into a pensions discussion forum. You go guys! :woosh:

Sorry bianca, I got so confused reading about it all that as usual I gave up thinking for myself and decided to ask my trusty, knowledgable friends on Toontastic :huff: You lot always seem so clued up on just about any subject I can think of!

Yes Laz, I know you're right, I will have to seek professional help 'sigh' <_<

ps, thanks for PL reminder Khay, I'll do it today :o