A-level results

Brock Manson

(From ITN)

A-level students scored a record number of top grades this summer as the national pass rate rose for the 25th year in a row.

(Advertisement)

The proportion of papers awarded A grades reached one in four for the first time.

Figures from the exam boards showed 25.3 per cent of exams were graded A, up from 24.1 per cent last year.

Girls continued to score better grades than boys in every major subject apart from further maths and foreign languages.

But despite fears from critics of the exam system, traditional subjects such as maths, German and physics did not see another slump in popularity.

Jim Sinclair, director of the Joint Council for Qualifications, which published the results, paid tribute to the hard work of students.

"The improvement of the results at A-level reflects how well students have done this year," he said.

"Candidates who have worked hard are getting the results they deserve.

"There are many positive signs and improvements and some of the highlights are the continued upward entry trend in mathematics, the physical sciences also seeing an improvement and modern foreign languages remaining stable."

Overall, 96.9 per cent of candidates taking A-levels this summer achieved at least a grade E pass - up from 96.6 per cent last year.

But the soaring numbers achieving A grades will fuel the debate over whether the exams are too easy to be a useful measure of ability for the brightest pupils.

In 1997, only 15.7 per cent of A-level exam entries were given A grades.

Professor Alan Smithers, from the University of Buckingham, said: "I think the A grades hitting 25 per cent is a matter of concern because it does not distinguish sufficiently well at the top end."

Universities have complained that so many teenagers score As that they cannot rely on A-levels to identify the truly outstanding candidates from the merely very good.

I got ABB meself which is exactly what I needed. :woosh:

Congrats Brock - don't know if any of my texts got through, it kept fucking up for some reason. Oh well. Happy boozing. :woosh:

*tunes into radio to find out about someone else's results... wonder if there'll be a big shout-out to the Toontastic crew*

Brock - Well done, which subjects?

Skol - Enough for what? Them results are screaming "change direction!" :woosh:

University. I fucking hated the subjects I chose at A-level. Thankfully now i'm doing something I really enjoy.

Well done and all that. :woosh:

But 25.3% getting A grade from 15.7% in 1997 shows they are going to have to change the system, Blabours "everyone is a very special winner" policy is barmy.

We need good vocational training, not to dumb everything down till bin men require PhD's.

Skol - Enough for what? Them results are screaming "change direction!" :woosh:

University. I fucking hated the subjects I chose at A-level. Thankfully now i'm doing something I really enjoy.

What's that?

Plummeting into an ever wosening debt, watching that smarmy gyet on ITV who replaced Trisha, smoking copius amounts of hash, playing with your instrument, lying about getting laid, buying a pint of scotch and making it last all night, growing a zany hairstyle, surviving on pasta, watching 80's throwbacks like Timmy Mallet in the union and larving it in a really ironic fashion and taking home anything you find in the street.

:huff:

My view of student life is derived entirely from The Young ones, Porky's and Animal House. <_<

Well, Skol loves Jeremy Kyle anyway.

:woosh:

The rest of the stuff is bollocks though

I'd love one of the charvas he's lecturing to beat the shit of out him one time. That would be worth watching.

Well, Skol loves Jeremy Kyle anyway.

:woosh:

The rest of the stuff is bollocks though

I'd love one of the charvas he's lecturing to beat the shit of out him one time. That would be worth watching.

Kyle would knack them, man.

Skol - Enough for what? Them results are screaming "change direction!" :huff:

What's that?

Plummeting into an ever wosening debt, watching that smarmy gyet on ITV who replaced Trisha, smoking copius amounts of hash, playing with your instrument, lying about getting laid, buying a pint of scotch and making it last all night, growing a zany hairstyle, surviving on pasta, watching 80's throwbacks like Timmy Mallet in the union and larving it in a really ironic fashion and taking home anything you find in the street.

<_<

My view of student life is derived entirely from The Young ones, Porky's and Animal House. :o

Just add Living room cricket and burning things :woosh:

When they brought in A*s for GCSEs, why didn't they just make it harder to get an A?

You wouldn't last 2 seconds as a politician with thinking like that (which is a good thing tbh).