Airport luggage security advice

Geordie Boyo

I'm off to Majorca on the 25th with wor' lass next week, but I'm left confused by these security measures Newcastle airport are taking. For instance, they go on about 'hand luggage' on their website, what's appropriate and what's not, but does that mean to say you can't simply put those items in your suitcase, like gel, shaving form, deodorants, etc?

Do those measures simply apply to hand luggage in that you have to place those kinds of items in a see-through plastic bag or can you simply put those items in your suitcase. If that's the case in being able to put them in your suitcase then it doesn't really make any sense...! :woosh:

http://www.newcastleairport.com/pre_travel...rity_Advice.htm

I'm off to Majorca on the 25th with wor' lass next week, but I'm left confused by these security measures Newcastle airport are taking. For instance, they go on about 'hand luggage' on their website, what's appropriate and what's not, but does that mean to say you can't simply put those items in your suitcase, like gel, shaving form, deodorants, etc?

Do those measures simply apply to hand luggage in that you have to place those kinds of items in a see-through plastic bag or can you simply put those items in your suitcase. If that's the case in being able to put them in your suitcase then it doesn't really make any sense...! :woosh:

http://www.newcastleairport.com/pre_travel...rity_Advice.htm

You can put them in your suitcase too, yes.

Any of the liquids/gels in whatever measure can go in your case. If you need to carry anything liquid in your hand luggage it must not exceed 100mls for each item.

I flew back from France last week and just put everything in my case to be on the safe side. There's nowt you're going to need in your hand luggage for a 2 1/2 hr flight really.

Tell your good lady to put any face cream/perfume in her case cos if it's over 100ml then they will take it off her and I'd be gutted if someone nabbed an expensive bottle of perfume from me :woosh:

Will do :woosh:

When I went to Hamsterdom not long ago we all made sure that any liquids/gels were kept in a see-through plastic bag. No wonder the people looking through my gear were sniggering thinking I need all that crap for an hour's flight....! <_<

Ah, well. I'll put it all in my suitcase along with wor' lass :huff:

Do make sure anything you put in your checked-in luggage is well sealed and wrapped inside a few carrier bags for good measure. Things like shaving foam do seem to enjoy exploding mid-air. :woosh:

also you're not allowed to move duty free if you change aircraft

the lunatic idea is that soemone can take chemicals onboard, set up a chemical lab, mix up explosive and then detonate it..............

well, it got Tony off the hook summer 2006 when he was in deep shit over the lebanon didn't it?

sorry if you fly Rome - Amsterdam -Newcastle (with a change of planes in Amsterdam) with duty free bought in Rome they will not allow you to take it on the UK part of the flight - you MAY be able to buy in Amsterdam tho..........

I don't think it applies the other way - less paranoia in Yurop

sorry if you fly Rome - Amsterdam -Newcastle (with a change of planes in Amsterdam) with duty free bought in Rome they will not allow you to take it on the UK part of the flight - you MAY be able to buy in Amsterdam tho..........

Ah, see, that would make sense - I was going to say that I did London City - Zurich - Belgrade clutching a bottle of duty-free whisky with no problems (they came after the consumption).

I've noticed that security staff at foreign airports are a lot sneerier about the ludicrous "clear plastic bag" restrictions too.

You can only blow up planes on the way out of the UK apparently.

Its amazing how many people try to take through HUGe bottles of stuff. Just the other day on my way to Ireland some bloke was arguing about a big aftershave thingy, looked pretty new. Now in the bin. Best to put everything in your luggage as said. If you must take summit, do make sure its less than 100ml and you can get the clear bags from WHSmiths in Ncle Airport. you have to carry them through separate from your hand luggage till you get through (in this bag).

Other typical things that get hoyed are lasses wee scissors, gels (yup, thats a liquid dont forget), small metal twisty things that lasses carry ? bottles of water! (buy them in the departure lounge).

Duty free doesnt exist in that scenario anyway. We're part of a customs union.

Other than that the advice was relevant to someone on a charter flight from Mallorca though.

Other than that the advice was relevant to someone on a charter flight from Mallorca though.

:woosh:

We've discovered Rob's 'job' anyway. Well travelled, bringing in non-duty paid goods....

the lunatic idea is that soemone can take chemicals onboard, set up a chemical lab, mix up explosive and then detonate it..............

well, it got Tony off the hook summer 2006 when he was in deep shit over the lebanon didn't it?

I must admit the actual chances of someone managing to pull of an explosion in flight with the sort of chemicals and equipment they are talking about is probably much, much less than that of the aircraft crashing (which is a pretty tiny risk in itself).

I thought someone managing to hijack a plane with a metal comb or a pair of nail clippers was pretty ludicrous, but I am beginning to wonder if there isn't a political aspect to some of these measures.

I must admit the actual chances of someone managing to pull of an explosion in flight with the sort of chemicals and equipment they are talking about is probably much, much less than that of the aircraft crashing (which is a pretty tiny risk in itself).

I thought someone managing to hijack a plane with a metal comb or a pair of nail clippers was pretty ludicrous, but I am beginning to wonder if there isn't a political aspect to some of these measures.

You could do some damage with a laptop mind. They're allowed though, for obvious reasons (i.e. business travel being the most lucrative market). I'm not saying it would be easy to hijack a plane with one, but it would be more use than a manicure set.

You could do some damage with a laptop mind. They're allowed though, for obvious reasons (i.e. business travel being the most lucrative market). I'm not saying it would be easy to hijack a plane with one, but it would be more use than a manicure set.

:)

Like what exactly? Snapping it shut on the pilot's fingers?

:)

We've discovered Rob's 'job' anyway. Well travelled, bringing in non-duty paid goods....

I'm a trolley dolly - fact

well without pouring brown stuff all over you (you know I hate that) it would be impossible - the control inputs may be electronic but how are you going to replicate those in a laptop when Airbus and Boeing require an electronics bay the size of a small flat in the belly of the plane?

Maybe you are thinking of sending doctored messages to the pilot? ""Change of plan, mate. You are no longer to fly those Geordie piss artists to Prague but are to go direct to London and crash the plane into No10 Downing Street - honest"

"I thought someone managing to hijack a plane with a metal comb or a pair of nail clippers was pretty ludicrous, but I am beginning to wonder if there isn't a political aspect to some of these measures."

what was it Mr Lincoln said?

"you can fool all of the people some of the time .................."

but ehy get there in the end

EVERY major security alert since 2003 in the UK has been in response to a political problem with the Govt.

the ACTUAL terorist attacks weren't foreseen at all - see Glasgow recently for example

The stupid think is the then sell big glass bottles on the plain which are easily turned into something more dangerous than even the most viscous nail clipper. :)

"I thought someone managing to hijack a plane with a metal comb or a pair of nail clippers was pretty ludicrous, but I am beginning to wonder if there isn't a political aspect to some of these measures."

what was it Mr Lincoln said?

"you can fool all of the people some of the time .................."

but ehy get there in the end

EVERY major security alert since 2003 in the UK has been in response to a political problem with the Govt.

the ACTUAL terorist attacks weren't foreseen at all - see Glasgow recently for example

Well I understand the initial panic measures even if it wasn't likely and don't think that they were really a nefarious political agenda (other than being worried about their polls if successful attack occurred).

But keeping these measures for so long just seems political rather than safety minded.

The stupid think is the then sell big glass bottles on the plain which are easily turned into something more dangerous than even the most viscous nail clipper. :)

Do they still do that? :) if so. I've noticed a lot of bottles in the duty free shops on the ground are plastic now. Bit daft if they still sell glass bottles in the air, really, though it wouldn't surprise me in the least...

Do they still do that? :) if so. I've noticed a lot of bottles in the duty free shops on the ground are plastic now. Bit daft if they still sell glass bottles in the air, really, though it wouldn't surprise me in the least...

plastic is easier in all the right places !!!