Airport luggage security advice

Geordie Boyo

The stupid think is the then sell big glass bottles on the plain which are easily turned into something more dangerous than even the most viscous nail clipper. :)

Do they still do that? :) if so. I've noticed a lot of bottles in the duty free shops on the ground are plastic now. Bit daft if they still sell glass bottles in the air, really, though it wouldn't surprise me in the least...

plastic is easier in all the right places !!!

Just ask J69's lady friends over on that forum. :P

The stupid think is the then sell big glass bottles on the plain which are easily turned into something more dangerous than even the most viscous nail clipper. :)

Do they still do that? :) if so. I've noticed a lot of bottles in the duty free shops on the ground are plastic now. Bit daft if they still sell glass bottles in the air, really, though it wouldn't surprise me in the least...

Yup they certainly still sold them (even on the plane) up until this latest panic, and certainly could buy glass ones on the way back just a month or so ago (although I suspect they do sell as much as they can get away with in plastic just to make more money, not for security reasons. But some stuff they just aren't going to get away with selling in plastic).

I still remember this guy buying a HUGE (glass) bottle of whiskey on the plane a year or so ago, and basically to have managed to get an "equal" weapon on the plane I'd have had to have managed to bring my diving knife in hand luggage or something (although I'm still far from sure you could really hijack a plane with one of those either these days).

I guess it just goes to show that PROFIT > "safety". :P

and high alcohol drinks are of course highly flammable.................

forget about terrorists - they go to all the bother of stopping people carrying flammable things through security and then allow everyone on board to carry 2 litres of vodka or whatever on board from duty free.....................

forget about terrorists - they go to all the bother of stopping people carrying flammable things through security and then allow everyone on board to carry 2 litres of vodka or whatever on board from duty free.....................

:)

Away and shite.

You can barely light a xmas pudding with Vodka. You can just imagine the next generation of bombers lobbing brandy soaked plum duffs about.

also you're not allowed to move duty free if you change aircraft

the lunatic idea is that soemone can take chemicals onboard, set up a chemical lab, mix up explosive and then detonate it..............

well, it got Tony off the hook summer 2006 when he was in deep shit over the lebanon didn't it?

I must admit the actual chances of someone managing to pull of an explosion in flight with the sort of chemicals and equipment they are talking about is probably much, much less than that of the aircraft crashing (which is a pretty tiny risk in itself).

I thought someone managing to hijack a plane with a metal comb or a pair of nail clippers was pretty ludicrous, but I am beginning to wonder if there isn't a political aspect to some of these measures.

You could do some damage with a laptop mind. They're allowed though, for obvious reasons (i.e. business travel being the most lucrative market). I'm not saying it would be easy to hijack a plane with one, but it would be more use than a manicure set.

well without pouring brown stuff all over you (you know I hate that) it would be impossible - the control inputs may be electronic but how are you going to replicate those in a laptop when Airbus and Boeing require an electronics bay the size of a small flat in the belly of the plane?

Maybe you are thinking of sending doctored messages to the pilot? ""Change of plan, mate. You are no longer to fly those Geordie piss artists to Prague but are to go direct to London and crash the plane into No10 Downing Street - honest"

You could twat it off someone's head is what I meant. They're canny heavy. :)

Aye never thought of that one. :icon_lol: