Zog on the Tyne

Barney

We want to keep Zog on the Tyne

Aug 17 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United will pull out all the stops to keep Charles N’Zogbia at St James’ Park.

The departure of Kieron Dyer, the uncertainty over Nobby Solano’s future and the long-term injuries to Joey Barton, Damien Duff and Emre have left United a bit down on numbers in midfield.

N’Zogbia, who has Fulham on his trail, will play at left-back against Aston Villa tomorrow, but once new boy Jose Enrique is match fit the 21-year-old Frenchman will be wanting to fight for a place in his favoured midfield.

And while his current deal has another three seasons to run there is talk of an improved contract.

This led Big Sam to tell me today: “If Charles is happy playing football then that’s the first thing. And if a new contract is warranted then I would be the first to recommend it.

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

“But it’s nice to see a young man of his capabilities coming in and playing a couple of positions for me – left-back and wide left.

“His adaptability is superb and I look forward to him progressing and getting better and better.”

Meanwhile, Kieron Dyer finally joined West Ham exactly one month to the day that The Chronicle first revealed that the Hammers wanted him.

This leaves Solano to sort out his future in the next couple of weeks although Dyer’s move to West Ham will mean that Nobby’s desire to go to London will rule out a switch to Upton Park.

And now it remains to be seen whether Solano ends up on the south coast at Portsmouth.

Allardyce does not like to talk about transfers until they are done and dusted, and when I asked him about Abdoulaye Faye’s move from Bolton I guess he was being deliberately vague when he replied: “I know there are some negotiations going on, but I don’t know where they are at.”

# UNITED’S second round Carling Cup tie with Barnsley is likely to be staged at St James’ Park a week on Wednesday.

# THE latest edition of The Mag is on sale tomorrow, both outside the ground and at local newsagents.

This edition features exclusive interviews with Alan Shearer and Michael Owen.

# UNITED have suffered a blow with performance coach Mike Forde, who was expected to link up with his former Bolton boss Sam Allardyce, likely to accept a similar post at Chelsea.

But former United assistant manager Bobby Saxton has joined Big Sam’s scouting team.

Chronicle

hooray, lad I went to school with is still on their books. I was worried he'd fall foul of the Big Sam Evolution.

Adam Sadler is the Academy GK coach. You sometimes see him on the bench at games though.

I wonder why you'd have your academy 'keeper Coach on the bench on matchday? Can't think he has that much influence on seasoned pros, could provide insightful experience-driven observations or provide much needed physio to senior players.

hooray, lad I went to school with is still on their books. I was worried he'd fall foul of the Big Sam Evolution.

Adam Sadler is the Academy GK coach. You sometimes see him on the bench at games though.

I wonder why you'd have your academy 'keeper Coach on the bench on matchday? Can't think he has that much influence on seasoned pros, could provide insightful experience-driven observations or provide much needed physio to senior players.

Just there for the craic like....with Terry Mac of course.

Maybe he goes to the games when a keeper from the academy is on the bench, say like Krul or Forster.

in any case I'm pleased that he's got a career in football. He used to be on Man U's books as a youth keeper, screwed up his knee or ankle or something and that was the end of that. Worked as a Window Salesman for a bit (shut the fuck up, right the fuck now, Alex) while he was getting his badges, then back into Football.

really pleased for him,

Maybe he goes to the games when a keeper from the academy is on the bench, say like Krul or Forster.

in any case I'm pleased that he's got a career in football. He used to be on Man U's books as a youth keeper, screwed up his knee or ankle or something and that was the end of that. Worked as a Window Salesman for a bit (shut the fuck up, right the fuck now, Alex) while he was getting his badges, then back into Football.

really pleased for him,

:)

really pleased for him,

:)