Laptop charger

Southern Geordie

For some reason over the past week my laptop charger has been really inconsistent. Sometimes I have to really fiddle with the end after I've plugged it in to charge my laptop up. Bit of hassle if I want it on the move, as you'd expect with a laptop! It only charges if in one position but towards the end of the week its been harder to find this position. Anyways I've got an Acer Aspire 3502WLMi and wondering how much a new charger would be? Or can you use other Acer chargers cos my dads old laptop was an Acer and he still has the charger for it.

Aye it could be that, try it with another charger that fits and see if you're having the same problem. If the problem is inside the laptop itself then it'll probably be a right bastard to get fixed.

I had a problem with a laptop that didn't charge and took it down to PC World who told me they couldn't fix it and it would probably be less hassle and cost to just buy a new one. I suppose it depends on how good your laptop is and whether you should just buy a new one. Is it still under warranty? Might be worth taking it to a computer shop to see how much they'll quote you or just talking to someone who knows a bit more about computers than me.

I had a problem with a laptop that didn't charge and took it down to PC World who told me they couldn't fix it and it would probably be less hassle and cost to just buy a new one. I suppose it depends on how good your laptop is and whether you should just buy a new one. Is it still under warranty? Might be worth taking it to a computer shop to see how much they'll quote you or just talking to someone who knows a bit more about computers than me.

Well it's only a couple of years old and was 600 quid two years ago, so still has the pace etc.. I'm happy enough with it, definitely not on the way out. Just had a look on the charger and it seems there is a bit of a slit in the part I have to play with to get it working (sounds dirty eh!)

But I'd definitely not be looking for a new laptop, will take it to a PC shop monday I spose.

My dad's charger works, just doesn't fit in as well as the last one does. A small twist of it and it just pops out. So I presume it was my old charger that was rubbish, with potentially the inside of my computer being a bit crap. No idea really!

Nah it isnt in warranty. I borrowed my dads old one and its worked nicely and I just won't move it around very much as thats probably what the problem was in the first place! Seems like quite a dodgy connection at times still but hasn't come unplugged for a few days now :mellow:

• 9 months later...

I took a laptop to bits and had a spare pin for charging from inside of the laptop.

So when my Aunties ACER ASPIRE charger pin broke, I simply took it to bit and soldered the spare charger pin into it.

Took me a few hours - pretty hard taking a compact laptop to bits, but it was well and truly worth it.

Lazy shits at the computer shop said it was not worth fixing.

I'm only 16 and I did it, no trouble.

I took a laptop to bits and had a spare pin for charging from inside of the laptop.

So when my Aunties ACER ASPIRE charger pin broke, I simply took it to bit and soldered the spare charger pin into it.

Took me a few hours - pretty hard taking a compact laptop to bits, but it was well and truly worth it.

Lazy shits at the computer shop said it was not worth fixing.

I'm only 16 and I did it, no trouble.

You're not HF's brother are you? :D

• 2 months later...

I had an Acer and the same problem occured with my charger it eventually give up and so I had to fork out £40 for Acer to replace it. Word of advice: Don't buy Acer; cheap and slow shite!¬

Nah it isnt in warranty. I borrowed my dads old one and its worked nicely and I just won't move it around very much as thats probably what the problem was in the first place! Seems like quite a dodgy connection at times still but hasn't come unplugged for a few days now :D

Thats exactly what happened with my Compaq. The robbing bastards wanted £100. Refused that. I want a Dell XPS Lol