Martins

Sever07

OBAFEMI MARTINS has opened talks with Newcastle about a new long-term contract and told them: “I will stay here as long as you want me.”

Toon hero Martins, two-goal hero on the opening day of the season in the 3-1 win at Bolton, is ready to sign a six-year deal with the club to show his commitment.

The Nigerian star was bought for £10million from Inter last summer and still has four years of his present contract to run.

But he wants to scotch any future transfer talk — after being linked with Arsenal and Chelsea — by sorting out new terms and removing the controversial £13m buy-out clause in his current agreement.

Martins, 22, said: “I love it at Newcastle under Sam Allardyce. I admit I wasn’t totally happy last season and heard about Arsenal being interested.

“It is nice when other teams want you but I only want to play for Newcastle now. I’m looking forward to renewing my contract with the club.

“There are issues and problems with the present one which need sorting out.

"We have started talking and I’ve told them how much I want to stay. They know I’m happy to be at Newcastle.

“I will sign for five years, six years or for as long as they want me.

“I never asked for the £13m buy-out to be put in my deal, it was my previous agent, so we’ll talk about taking that out.

“I’m not going anywhere. I’m buying a house and Newcastle is a great city. I enjoy working with the manager and every day there is something new in training.”

Martins’ advisor Chris Nathaniel said: “We have proposed some improvements to the contract and Newcastle are coming back to us with their ideas.

"They know Oba will stay as long as they want him.”

Good News init

Edited by MattM4

I admit I wasn’t totally happy last season and heard about Arsenal being interested.

Huh! Interesting...

I don't think it's a big surprise, if you were him and then heard Arsenal were interested after the season we had last year would you want to stay?

I admit I wasn’t totally happy last season and heard about Arsenal being interested.

Huh! Interesting...

I don't think it's a big surprise, if you were him and then heard Arsenal were interested after the season we had last year would you want to stay?

Well I hate Arsenal, so wouldnt want to play for them, no :)

Anyway, not blaming him at all. Just that you rarely get to hear what people really think in football, even in hindsight, so it's interesting that's how he was feeling last year.

If anything, I guess, it's a credit to his professionalism that he kept his head down and kept scoring.

And the photo.

0,,2007380687,00.jpg

How unimpressed does he look?

He can feel the stare of the zoom lens from Peasepud Towers burning a hole in his neck :)

Will be delighted if he signs up. I said before the season that I reckon he could be a Diouf in that he can be versatile in the wide forward roles. He's said that he doesn't mind being played out wide and has more time on the ball to do his thing and I think this is gonna be the best position for the lad. By the looks of last weekend he really wants to play for this club and I'm chuffed to bits. People say he can't do the simple things, fuck that. There are plenty of mediocre players who can do the simple things, I'd rather have a player in my team with the athleticism, flair and rocket of a shot he has who perhaps gives the ball away more than others, than 11 players who do the simple things well.

Hope he has a cracker of a season wherever he plays, and I hope he signs up without the 13 million pound release clause, because if Darren Bent is worth 16.3 million, he's worth at least 25!

Edited by bassplayerjj

And the photo.

0,,2007380687,00.jpg

He doesn't look anything. That's just his face.

Have you got nothing better to do than try and pick fault in all my posts? Prick.

And the photo.

0,,2007380687,00.jpg

Expect a 6 minute protest from the Kop 'how dare a pro read the sun!!!' :):)

Great to read that though, he fcuking loves it here, he's gone do well this year.

Brilliant.

He has a bit of room for improvement, but if he keeps his head down he'll be fantastic for this football club and the main catalyst for any success Allardyce can hope to have.