Shola wants the number 9..

Scottish Mag

Despite the summer arrivals of Michael Owen and Albert Luque, Shola Ameobi has heaped pressure on himself to be the focal point of the Newcastle attack this season.

Graeme Souness spent £26.5 million on his strike-force during pre-season and Ameobi must now contend with two more international stars after Craig Bellamy and Patrick Kluivert were shunted out by the Scottish boss.

The 22-year-old has not yet managed to prove himself to be a prolific forward with just 16 goals in over 100 league games on Tyneside, and the Magpies' faithful have now wholeheartedly embraced Owen as their saviour as Alan Shearer's powers continue to wane.

The Newcastle captain even offered to give up his number nine shirt in a bid to entice Owen from Real Madrid, although Ameobi is keen to come out of the shadows to prove himself capable of joining the list of the club's historic strikers.

"I grew up hearing about the great number nines, Jackie Milburn, Supermac (Malcolm MacDonald), and, of course, Alan," said Ameobi.

"And, as a Geordie, it would mean much more to me to inherit the shirt than any new signing.

"It will take someone special to wear it and do it justice and I want to be that player.

"I have to be top scorer this season and I believe I can be.

"I feel mentally stronger and more confident and after carrying a hip injury last year I'm fitter too.

"The time has come for me to step out of Alan's shadow, prove there can be life after him and shoot Newcastle to success."

To be fair to the lad, he has to talk himself up in the light of the new arrivals. Not that I really see him being good enough for us, but at least he's prepared to stand up for himself and show that he doesnt want to be overlooked.

Seriously though, does he live in the real world with the rest of us or what?

30069[/snapback]

I think that the 'England World Cup Squad' comments clearly prove that he doesnt.

I mean come on...does he seriously think we're gonna qualify! :D

If he thinks he can be so great and score lots of goals , why doesnt he just do it when he is out on the pitch just to prove us wrong. :dancing:

Have to laugh at him though :D

To be fair to the lad, he has to talk himself up in the light of the new arrivals. Not that I really see him being good enough for us, but at least he's prepared to stand up for himself and show that he doesnt want to be overlooked.

30068[/snapback]

He has to say something just so he's not forgotten - shame it makes him look like a tit

imo shola has every reason to believe he can make the squad, but we all know he wont. he used to be ahead of 3 of englands 4 strikers atm not counting rooney who burst on to the scene (Vassell, Smith and Defoe) but has not made the progress that they have, and they are now all miles ahead of him.

since he played very well in the champs league he hasnt done it(not helped with last years injury and team continuing to play to shearer even when hes not there or playing alongside which doesnt suit either)...ok then shola,you are now fit(?),you have a season or so from a squad position to prove yourself!