Can't uninstall ZoneAlarm Pro

Geordie Boyo

I recently downloaded ZoneAlarm Pro. It seems it's causing a few problems when I start my computer up. For one it doesn't appear when my desktop is loaded up and two I can't uninstall it either. I don't know what to do. Has anyone experienced this before? It's fucking annoying because I can't do anything about it...! :)

Well I did some digging and the answers a corker! Should take you about a week tocarry out all these.

Uninstallation Step 1.

If you want to uninstall ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro, first run the Uninstaller program: click on the Start menu|Programs|Zone Labs|Uninstall ZoneAlarm (or Uninstall ZoneAlarm Pro). The uninstaller will guide you through the process; answer "Yes" to any files it prompts you to delete.

A. To make sure that you can see any ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro system files still on your computer:

- i. Right-click on Start, then left-click on "Explore."

- ii. When the Windows Explorer panel appears, click "View," then "Folder Options."

- iii. Click the "View" tab, then click the "Show all files" radio button.

- iv. Click "OK."

B. Verify that the following have been removed:

- Directories:

1) Zone Labs from C:\Program Files

2) zonelabs from C:\Windows\System

3) Zone Labs from C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

- Files:

1) C:\Windows\System\vsdata.dll

2) C:\Windows\System\vsdata95.vxd

3) C:\Windows\System\vsmonapi.dll

4) C:\Windows\System\vsnetutils.dll

5) C:\Windows\System\vspubapi.dll

6) C:\Windows\System\vsutil.dll

7) C:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\zapro

8) C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\zapro

9) C:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\zonealarm

10) C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\zonealarm

NOTE: Please verify that none of the files listed above remain in the directory C:\Windows\Temp.

- Uninstallation Step 2.

Rename the directory "C:\Windows\Internet Logs" (for example, "Internet Logs1").

- Uninstallation Step 3.

Make sure your Recycle Bin is empty.

- Uninstallation Step 4.

It is not generally necessary to remove registry entries if reinstalling ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro. However, should you choose to do so, the following registry entries aree associated with ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro:

Important Advisory: Deleting registry entries incorrectly may cause serious problems to your operating system (OS) which may necessitate the need to reinstall the OS. Please make sure you are able to perform these deletions correctly before you decide to edit the entries.

For information about how to edit the registry in Windows, type "regedit.exe" from a command prompt. Click "Help," then "Help Topic." Click "Changing Keys and Values."

Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it.

To enter the registry, go to Start/Run and type: "regedit." Use Control-F to find and F3 to Find Next.

Registry Entries:

- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs and all its subkeys and values

- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ZoneAlarm Pro

These registry items start the services required for ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro:

- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

- Value: MiniLog and Value: TrueVector

- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VSDATA95

This is a database that contains a long list of values, but only these values are related to ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro and TrueVector:

- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs

- Values:

C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\tutorwiz.dll

C:\Windows\System\vsdata.dll

C:\Windows\System\vsdata95.vxd

C:\Windows\System\vsmonapi.dll

C:\Windows\System\vsnetutils.dll

C:\Windows\System\vsnetu.dll

C:\Windows\System\vspubapi.dll

C:\Windows\System\vsutil.dll

C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\html.tdr

C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\vsdb.dll

C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\minilog.exe

C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\vsmon.exe

C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\vsruledb.dll

For each user who has run ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro, there are registry keys in

- Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs

The following keys allow the user to modify the sound that is played when there is an alert through use of the Control Panel Sounds applet:

- Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\InternetAlert

- Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\InternetAlert\.current

The following keys tell Windows the ZoneAlarm and ZoneAlarm Pro Desk Band is a part of the application:

- Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{long string of characters}\InprocServer32 (NOTE: The string of characters will vary from system to system.)

- Value: C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zoneband.dll

The following keys are related to ZoneAlarm and ZoneAlarm Pro's MailSafe Feature:

- Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe

There is a value for the extension of every attachment that ZoneAlarm Pro quarantines (.vbs, for example). To find the values and keys to delete:

1) Click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

2) Press F3.

3) Type "zamailsafe" in the search field (no quotes).

4) Press F3 to find the next value. An example of the value you will see (on the right-hand side of the window) would be: ZAMailSafeExt: REG_SZ: {renamed extension -- zl9, for example)

5) Delete the value. Press "OK" at the prompt.

6) Repeat until there are no more values like the example above. ZoneAlarm Pro quarantines 37 extensions by default. However, any additional extentions you may have chosen to quarantine will also be listed in the registry.

There is also a registry key for the extension of every attachment renamed by ZoneAlarm Pro. The names of the keys will range from .zl0 to .zly. If you wish, you can follow the instructions above to find the values associated with these keys. Delete the entire key which contains these values.

For ZoneAlarm (not Pro), The following keys can be removed:

- Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\zl0

- Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe

- Uninstallation Step 5.

Reboot your machine.

- Uninstallation Step 6.

If you experienced difficulty deleting ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro files or folders, try removing the items mentioned above AFTER following the steps below:

A. Reboot your system into either Safe Mode or to a Command Prompt (by pressing either F8 at the beep, or holding the Control key during boot).

B. You should now be able to remove the files specified above.

I recently downloaded ZoneAlarm Pro. It seems it's causing a few problems when I start my computer up. For one it doesn't appear when my desktop is loaded up and two I can't uninstall it either. I don't know what to do. Has anyone experienced this before? It's fucking annoying because I can't do anything about it...! :)

Erm..... are sure you actually installed it? :)

It can take quite a while to appear if you've got a lot of memory resident shite when booting up though. And what sort of problems is it causing? (do you have a hardware firewall or virus software or windows firewall on?)

Erm..... are sure you actually installed it? :)

It can take quite a while to appear if you've got a lot of memory resident shite when booting up though. And what sort of problems is it causing? (do you have a hardware firewall or virus software or windows firewall on?)

Def installed it

I had recently installed Bitdefender, and then tried installing ZoneAlarm Pro. I got to the part where it told me to restart my computer and when my computer restarted I haven't been able to open my Outlook Express nor use, uninstall or install ZoneAlarm Pro.

I've uninstalled Bitdefender in case there may be some sort of conflict between the two, but I still get the same result.

My computer is running fine other than that, all thou is does take longer to start-up with just he display of my desktop wallpaper visible for at least a minute until in a flash everything appears & runs smoothly (apart from outlook express)

Just those problems really, other than that my PC's running better & quicker than ever before tbh,

I've got rid of ZoneAlarm, but now I'm still having problems opening Outlook Express. I just get an error message everytime and it's been like that for two days now. I just know I've now got two billion spam messages...! :)

EDIT: I'm also still getting about a 30 second pause with my wallpaper just displayed before my desktop loads up. There's definitely something up.

Edited by Geordie Boyo

This is the error message I get when I try to open Outlook.

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 5102, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

This is the error message I get when I try to open Outlook.

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 5102, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

slap that error into Google and see if it gives you any constructive advice.

You need to make the relevant ports available on your firewall.....oh you've just uninstalled your firewalls hmmmmmm

ports 25 and 110 allegedly need to be opened.

I don't know what that means, mate. :)

In Outlook/tools/accounts/mail/properties/advanced I have Outgoing mail (SMTP) set as 25 & incoming mail (POP3) set as 110.

Take a check in whatever Firewall(s) you may have going that those ports are allowed to be used.