*puts tenner on ManU to get relegated*

Asprilla

Getting back to the point then, do you think Sven is a good manager?

I think he's a decent manager that gets the rub of the green more than most.

I don't think he's a great tactical genius however, he doesn't seem to read the game and then make game changing/winning decisions so much as sit there and hope unless he's forced to do something (or occasionally try to defend a slender lead which back fired on him with England once or twice).

Robson at the very end of his days was much more likely to spot a chance to make a change that would favour his team.

Look at it the other way. Only a manager who got his tactics wrong in the first place would need a talent for changing the pattern of the game after going behind.

Obviously he rarely has that worry, confident as he can be that he's sent the team out looking as good as he can from the start.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he's a great tactical genius however, he doesn't seem to read the game and then make game changing/winning decisions so much as sit there and hope unless he's forced to do something (or occasionally try to defend a slender lead which back fired on him with England once or twice).

Robson at the very end of his days was much more likely to spot a chance to make a change that would favour his team.

So you reckon everything he has won is mostly down to his luck?

Luck, money and inheriting a decent team.

But I'm interested in what you would define (try not to be TOO vague this time) as him being "successful" at Man City (and how much money he'll need to spend to do it?)

Did you see much of him before he was England manager?

Oh aye I was a regular at Degerfors IF in 1978, were you? :icon_lol:

Look at it the other way. Only a manager who got his tactics wrong in the first place would need a talent for changing the pattern of the game after going behind.

Obviously he rarely has that worry, confident as he can be that he's sent the team out looking as good as he can from the start.

He never changed tactics for England at all, apart from that midfield diamond stuff.

He just sent out a team then sat their looking worried and subbed for injury even when it was CLEAR it wasn't working (apart from once or twice when his set up was clearly looking like getting Rooney sent off again) and occasionally changed to try and defend an 1 goal lead when we were doing better pressing for another (maybe the Italian influence - but that even bites them on the ass from time to time).

(same place I "denied" he'd been successful I guess :icon_lol:)

But he's been "successful" by winning stuff.

Not sure if him steering Man C to 8th (or whatever) would be defined as successful, but winning the Premiership (or a European Cup) with them certainly would fit that definition.

Well, you did change that word in my post. That's where the idea came from.

Well you can be successful by being lucky (in fact most are, just the degree that is in question).

I don't see it as that big a factor. If someone is successful for a long time there's a lot more than luck going on. You seem to be attributing a pretty large degree of his success to luck though, unless I'm mistaken, whereas I don't.

He'll be winning the Premiership soon enough then. :rolleyes:

He just sent out a team then sat their looking worried and subbed for injury even when it was CLEAR it wasn't working (apart from once or twice when his set up was clearly looking like getting Rooney sent off again) and occasionally changed to try and defend an 1 goal lead when we were doing better pressing for another (maybe the Italian influence - but that even bites them on the ass from time to time).

He managed in Italy? I could've sworn he was at Degerfors from 1978 to 2001. :icon_lol:

(same place I "denied" he'd been successful I guess :icon_lol:)

But he's been "successful" by winning stuff.

Not sure if him steering Man C to 8th (or whatever) would be defined as successful, but winning the Premiership (or a European Cup) with them certainly would fit that definition.

Well, you did change that word in my post. That's where the idea came from.

Well you can be successful by being lucky (in fact most are, just the degree that is in question).

I don't see it as that big a factor. If someone is successful for a long time there's a lot more than luck going on. You seem to be attributing a pretty large degree of his success to luck though, unless I'm mistaken, whereas I don't.

He'll be winning the Premiership soon enough then. :rolleyes:

And if he doesn't, he'll still have had a successful career :D

And out of interest who would have rather had Sven here than Allardyce?

Allardyce won the poll on here, but Sven ran him close (including a vote from me). I think the majority of people that preferred Allardyce over Sven were more concerned about the astronomical wages, the dodgy private life and the need for a strong character in the changing room following Roeder. As well as being more realistic about who Fat Fred could attract. Their records hardly need comparing, Sven is clearly a more accomplished, experienced manager.

Allardyce won the poll on here, but Sven ran him close (including a vote from me). I think the majority of people that preferred Allardyce over Sven were more concerned about the astronomical wages, the dodgy private life and the need for a strong character in the changing room following Roeder. As well as being more realistic about who Fat Fred could attract. Their records hardly need comparing, Sven is clearly a more accomplished, experienced manager.

So you're expecting him to win stuff and us not to then?

I don't know, all I do know is Sven HAS won stuff and Sam hasn't.

I don't expect us to win anything.

I'm not sure I expect either to win anything any time soon.

But the good thing is that I'll be pleasently surprised if either do (although Man City is a slight backhanded way). :icon_lol:

Edited by Fop

Expect fuck all and you'll never be disappointed :rolleyes:

(how else do you think i have managed to survive 25 years following Newcastle? :icon_lol:)