What are we waiting for?

Happy Face

Serious question.

4 points from 2 teams that finished above us last year is good news to my ears. I think we've probably got a manager that fits our current level. But if you think we're at the start of a long term revolution, where do you see Big Sam taking us longer term?

It seems to be the general consensus that Saturday was an understandably poor performance from a team in transition. Big Sam needs time and encouragement to put his mark on the team*. In my opinion the performance on Saturday was one that I think sums up Allardyce's approach to the game, and will see us achieve our modest goals for the year. Tight(ish) at the back, hoofed forward when there's no other outlet, the best performance from a forward was the bruiser who was willing to get knocked about (and punished by the ref for it). We all knew it wouldn't be pretty, the question is, how long will the boo-boys be in the minority, and will Ashley/Mort be bigger men than Shepherd in facing down the pressure?

*I'm not sure I really buy the whole "A manager needs time, look at Alex Ferguson...he was almost sacked before making Man U what they were" argument. Seems he's the single exception to the rule and it's getting a bit trite. Looking at all the longest term managers, generally either success comes from a revolution that starts strong and keeps up the momentum, or a club stays happy with a manager that keeps them at a certain level. Allardyce himself was an immediate revelation at Bolton when he went there.

Personally I'm hoping we finish in the UEFA Cup spots, anything below that and I'll be disappointed, anything below 10th and I'll be strongly questioning Allarydyce's suitability for the job.

We're not as bad a team as we appeared to be last season.

Edited by ewerk

I think he should deffo be given time.

Shite on Saturday but everyone plays shite once in a while

We were just as unentertaining in the second half against Bolton. Is it shite or the Allardyce way? Personally I think it's the latter, but Arsenal won a title by being dull. If we'd nicked a goal it would be "how ingenious Sam is with his professional approach" rather than "it'll take time for the team to get used to his system"?

I'm not favour of the more physical style which looks like we try to employ this season, but I'll be delighted if we become harder to beat, give the top teams a tough game and beat comfortably the teams which are bound to finish near the relegation zone.

Speaking in results, I hope this season we can get into the top 6-7, therefore qualify for Europe, which was a main reason Allardyce missed out on some of his targets this summer.

In the long-term I would like to see us becoming a solid top 6 side with sensible squad building, in 4-5 years try to push for a CL place. If Allardyce can do that, then great, if not he will be remembered for getting us out of the mess we have been in the last 2-3 years, brining stability and preparing us for a push at the cream of the PL, though I think he can get us in the CL. :icon_lol:

I think he should deffo be given time.

Shite on Saturday but everyone plays shite once in a while

We were just as unentertaining in the second half against Bolton. Is it shite or the Allardyce way? Personally I think it's the latter, but Arsenal won a title by being dull. If we'd nicked a goal it would be "how ingenious Sam is with his professional approach" rather than "it'll take time for the team to get used to his system"?

I think Villa were spot on tactically and made it hard for us.

Even if we'd won there was no glory to get from that game.

We'l see how it goes but i do think Sam is capable,

but the honeymoons over i guess...

Serious question.

4 points from 2 teams that finished above us last year is good news to my ears. I think we've probably got a manager that fits our current level. But if you think we're at the start of a long term revolution, where do you see Big Sam taking us longer term?

It seems to be the general consensus that Saturday was an understandably poor performance from a team in transition. Big Sam needs time and encouragement to put his mark on the team*. In my opinion the performance on Saturday was one that I think sums up Allardyce's approach to the game, and will see us achieve our modest goals for the year. Tight(ish) at the back, hoofed forward when there's no other outlet, the best performance from a forward was the bruiser who was willing to get knocked about (and punished by the ref for it). We all knew it wouldn't be pretty, the question is, how long will the boo-boys be in the minority, and will Ashley/Mort be bigger men than Shepherd in facing down the pressure?

*I'm not sure I really buy the whole "A manager needs time, look at Alex Ferguson...he was almost sacked before making Man U what they were" argument. Seems he's the single exception to the rule and it's getting a bit trite. Looking at all the longest term managers, generally either success comes from a revolution that starts strong and keeps up the momentum, or a club stays happy with a manager that keeps them at a certain level. Allardyce himself was an immediate revelation at Bolton when he went there.

Interesting point that, I think it did used to be true that managers needed time. Ferguson wasn't the only example. I can remember the blue dippers spraying graffiti on Howard Kendall's house before he had great success with them. I think that's why Liverpool always stuck with the 'boot room' philosophy. But... It seemed to apply more to what I would class as the 'old skool' managers. The trend today seems to be to appoint managers for their coaching abilities rather than their managerial abilities. A lot of these 'coach' managers seem to be able to get success a bit quicker.

No idea why this should be though, maybe it's the changes in the modern game with more foreigners now plying their trade here.

Having said that I'm not really sure how I'd classify Allardyce, he seems to be a bit of a mix of old skool and coach :icon_lol: