Best restaurant you've been to lately

Dogmatix

The Spanish restaurant is nice, opposite the good Bagladeshi, where Barn Again was. El Coto? Was good last time i was there.

A place called Gourmet des Ternes was a recent find, not Newcastle though.

El Coto's the one. Canny in there too. Tapas and Cruz Campo. Nice.

Went to a Bangladeshi restaurant in Leazes Park Road last week,called ARAMI.It was the best 'indian-style' meal I've ever had. (if you saw the size of me you'd realise I've had a few)

Service,setting and atmosphere were all excellent.If you're looking for something new and diferent give it a try.

90% of Indian restaurants, and take aways are ran by Bangladeshi's and always have been. It's just more marketable to call it an Indians. Let's go for an Bangladeshi, it doesn't sound right does it, but the vast vast majority of them are Bangladeshi's. Good luck to them as well, they came over with nothing, created a huge, vast market that didn't exist before, and even became the suppliers of the a new meal which became the most popular in this country, and created Anglo-Indian food, like Chicken Tikka Masala. It's Anglo Indian food, but made by Bangladeshi's.

Very, very rare you actually have an Indian meal, though, sorry to spoil the illusion. It's just like when Neville is dressed up in a turban in that restaurant in Dusseldorf, it's all an illusion, it's Bangladeshi ran, and Bangladeshi food. Having said though, Bangladesh to India has paralells as to what Scotland is to England.

Anyway I think sit down meals aren't really my cup of tea, and more often that not pish. I paid for one for 7 people at "The Wheatsheaf" near the airport about a few years ago, 4 course meals, 2 bottles of wine, fuckin £150, the cheeky cunts, I wouldn't care it was shite.

Aye, theres a lot of Bangladeshi run 'Indians' but 90% is way off tbf. Pakistani's have massive market share an all.

Trust me mate, Bangladeshi's run 90% of Indian food places, trust me. It's their niche. Pakistani's are the poorest of the Asian settlers, a majority of them came over to work in industrial premises in the 50's and 60's in shitholes like Lancashire, and Yorkshire, the cotton industries collapsed in places like Manchester and Bradford and you end up with mass unemployment. A lot of the more affluent Pakistani's obviously run general dealers and corner shops, so do a percentage of Indians too but Pakistani's have the largest asian share of this marker. The Indians who came over used to, some perhaps still do, look down their noses at the other two, because they came over highly educated, and many filled medical positions, it's been said in the past, that Indians SAVED the NHS.

Back to the main point though, the asian food market was primarily created, and continues to be dominated by Bangladeshi's under the Indian banner.

Without a shadow of a doubt, the poorest of the main Southern Asian communities in the UK today is the Bengali/Bangladeshi community. They are also the lowest achievers in education, which is probably no co-incidence I should imagine.

I agree there are many Bangladeshi owned curry houses. They are populously staffed by Bangladeshi waiters, which isn't the best paid job it has to be said.

Naan breads aren't actually made out of grandmas.

And curry houses had the monoploy on the phrase "Thankyou please" long before Avid Merrion got in on the act.

Guest stevieintoon

The Pakistani's are the poorest mate, trust me. I'm well read on the subject. Pakistani's came over to do the shit jobs, the shit jobs no longer exist, causing major problems in places like Bradford, Oldham etc.... Imagine living in Bradford, fucking hell race riots. Melting pots of the BNP/NF in the future I believe.

i went to benares in mayfair recently. posh michelin star curry and so good. the head chef is that atul kucher fella who beat gary rhodes in the great british menu or whatever it was called.

The Pakistani's are the poorest mate, trust me. I'm well read on the subject. Pakistani's came over to do the shit jobs, the shit jobs no longer exist, causing major problems in places like Bradford, Oldham etc.... Imagine living in Bradford, fucking hell race riots. Melting pots of the BNP/NF in the future I believe.

Can't comment on Bradford, but as for Greater Manchester is concerned, in Oldham the tensions were between whites in various areas of the town and Asians in the Glodwick area. Glodwick is the most deprived part of the town and is populated mainly by Bangladeshi's.

The national stats say that Bengali/Bangladeshi's are the most impoverished of the Souther Asian communities. It also makes the point about standards in education.

I have no axe to grind at all and I only quote stats as I'd prefer to do this than quote some Asian friends, who are amongst the most racist people (towards other Asians of different religious/national backgrounds) you could ever wish to meet. Consequently, although I listen to what they say about other Asians, I take each comment with a handful of salt. I find I can only give credence to what is said when it's not self-serving-indeed that's why I know a lot of the curry houses in Mcr are Pakistani run (as well as Bangladeshi) as I have an Indian mate who absolutely hates this fact and goes off on a diatribe every time we go for a meal there.

Guest stevieintoon

Manc mag have you got a strong Mancunian accent? I'v read somewhere that due to the volumes of asian and particularly black people in Manchester, the actual Manc accent has changed over the last 30/40 years due to ethnic influences. Like someone like Bill Tarby, born and bred Manc, he'll never say "Mancisdoh" like say Terry Christian or Kirk would.

Anyway a good curry hoose I have been to is Soloman's beside Self's garage opposite The Denton.

i went to benares in mayfair recently. posh michelin star curry and so good. the head chef is that atul kucher fella who beat gary rhodes in the great british menu or whatever it was called.

On a similar theme I ate in the Boxwood Cafe in the Berkley Hotel on knightsbridge. Part of the Ramsey Group and head chef is Stuart Gillies who represented the South East at Great British Menu.

Food was great but the service was over keen..

I lived in Bradford for a few years and in my time there you could see the asian and white communities drifting apart to the point where there was barely any social interaction between them. Keighley is a BNP hot-spot I believe.

Oh, and the doctor who came over in the sixties to save the NHS were Sri Lankan weren't they?

The Manoir aux Quatre Saison near Oxford

and I wasn't paying either.........................

The garlic bread with cheese is simply to die for.

don't be bloody silly man..............

it's the 5 different tomato dishes on one plate aa gan for................

The Manoir aux Quatre Saison near Oxford

and I wasn't paying either.........................

The garlic bread with cheese is simply to die for.

don't be bloody silly man..............

it's the 5 different tomato dishes on one plate aa gan for................

Garlic bread with tomato?

Which reminds me, Francesca's in Jesmond is still absolute quality.

one thing I will say for NE restaurants - the service is normally reasonable - not necessarily smart but well meaning

Landahn is dreadful - all E Yuropeans or worse, Brits who don't give a s***, slow, wrong and EXPENSIVE

• 1 month later...
Went to a Bangladeshi restaurant in Leazes Park Road last week,called ARAMI.It was the best 'indian-style' meal I've ever had. (if you saw the size of me you'd realise I've had a few)

Service,setting and atmosphere were all excellent.If you're looking for something new and diferent give it a try.

Agree, it's excellent. A bit different from your run of the mill curry house too.

Is that the one towards the bottom of the street as you head down towards Eldon Square? If not which one is that as it looks canny from the outside (sad indictment of the trade but I'm always impressed by an Indian restaurant that doesnt look like complete shit from the street).

Anyone in Manchester wants to try Azzurro in West Didsbury. Peerless pasta tbf.

For a curry, make it Spicy Hut on Wilmslow Road.

I went to Spicy Hut on Friday night, was average at best.

Ate in a variety of restaurants in India, the best one was probably in Bangalore, on MG Road on the 13th floor, with a view of the entire city. As has been said above, what we know as 'Indian' food is based on North Indian cooking, so because I was in the south I didn't see an awful lot of 'normal' curries, although most places did at least a couple of familiar dishes (my friend must have had ten chicken tikka masalas over the course of our two weeks in Goa!)

We tried The Ivy House in Jesmond on Friday night, very nice, I thought it was going to be a bit too upmarket for me like until I spotted "Corned Beef hash with fried eggs" on the menu.

Very nice place though, quiet, classy decor, nice attentive staff.

someone took me out to the "porte des Indes" in marylebone last week - sort of Indian - French fusion............

amazing decor but rather an odd concept i felt

Agree, it's excellent. A bit different from your run of the mill curry house too.

Is that the one towards the bottom of the street as you head down towards Eldon Square? If not which one is that as it looks canny from the outside (sad indictment of the trade but I'm always impressed by an Indian restaurant that doesnt look like complete shit from the street).

Lucky they even let you through the door, the state of you when you've got a thrist on. <_<

Lucky they even let you through the door, the state of you when you've got a thrist on. <_<

I was stone cold sober tbh.

Lucky they even let you through the door, the state of you when you've got a thrist on. :blink:

I was stone cold sober tbh.

Then that fucking review is an outrage at best! <_<

We tried The Ivy House in Jesmond on Friday night, very nice, I thought it was going to be a bit too upmarket for me like until I spotted "Corned Beef hash with fried eggs" on the menu.

Very nice place though, quiet, classy decor, nice attentive staff.

I liked it in there, the swordfish was lovely and the staff were spot on.