Diop gets go-ahead to quit Fulham

khay

Fulham midfielder Papa Bouba Diop believes he may have played his last game for the club after being given the go-ahead to quit by Lawrie Sanchez.

The Senegal international, 29, told former Northern Ireland boss Sanchez in the summer he wanted a new challenge.

And he revealed: "The manager told me 'yes you can go. This is my team now so if you want to leave, go ahead'."

Diop added: "Maybe I have played my last game for Fulham but in football you never know."

Diop has been linked with a move to Newcastle.

Speaking ahead of Senegal's friendly with Ghana at Millwall's New Den stadium, Diop added: "I have many offers and I am just waiting.

"This is my fourth season with Fulham and I have never won anything. I want to win something or play in the Uefa Cup or the Champions League.

"I don't know if it will be anyone like Arsenal or Manchester United but I have good teams in England interested although I don't want to say who they are yet.

"Whatever happens I do expect to have left Fulham by the time the transfer window closes.

"I want a fresh challenge. And now the clubs know how much money Fulham want. But I don't have any control over that. I am just focused on my job."

Bouba Diop joined Fulham in 2004 from Lens and signed a new contract last year.

Both former manager Chris Coleman and current boss Sanchez compared the midfielder to Patrick Vieira.

He was close to a £5m move to Wigan in January but the transfer fell through.

From BBC.

The thing is as well, when Cacapa (sp?) came on on Saturday, the first thing I though was that he doesn't look like a commanding centre-half (in Premier League terms) so you have to wonder if he's been bought as someone who can cover DM too.

Unless Barton can provide the Gerrard- like creativity in midfield then the last thing we need is another defensive midfield player. Saturday's game showed that you need somebody who can do something with the ball once you have it. If we don't have this type of player we won't get the best out of the strikers and IMO, we'll seee many games as boring as the villa one as teams will sit back at SJP hitting us on the break. And I'd bet we get sucker punched more than once this season if we can't get teams to open up to chase a game.