Spurs chiefs 'lose faith in Jol'

ewerk

Tottenham boss Martin Jol's job remains under threat because he has lost the confidence of several top officials at the club, BBC Sport understands.

Sevilla coach Juande Ramos is in line to replace Jol, although the Spaniard's agent has denied links with Spurs.

BBC Radio 5live football correspondent Jonathan Legard says some officials are not sure Jol can deliver regular top-four Premier League finishes.

Spurs lost their first two matches this season but beat Derby 4-0 on Saturday.

On Monday, Ramos' agent Alvaro Torres denied there had been any talks with Tottenham, despite Spanish press reports claiming that the 52-year-old coach met with Spurs officials at the weekend.

Both clubs said Ramos' appearance at a Spanish hotel was a private matter and Torres said the meeting was with a friend and had "nothing to do with football".

Italy's World Cup-winning coach Marcello Lippi and Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp have also been linked to the post at White Hart Lane.

Jol came under pressure after the two losses - to Sunderland and Everton - in the first four days of the season following a £40m summer outlay on players.

On Friday, one bookmaker suspended betting on Jol's departure but Spurs have insisted they are not negotiating for a new manager.

Some fans also believe it is too soon to make a decision on Jol's future after only three Premier League matches.

Daniel Wynne of the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust confirmed: "It's far too early to see how the season will go.

"Jol has taken us to fifth twice, which is better than any other manager, and has been backed in the summer with his signings."

Ramos has a contract with Sevilla until 2008 and was linked with the vacant post at Manchester City before Sven-Goran Eriksson was appointed at Eastlands.

Tottenham boss Martin Jol's job remains under threat because he has lost the confidence of several top officials at the club, BBC Sport understands.

Sevilla coach Juande Ramos is in line to replace Jol, although the Spaniard's agent has denied links with Spurs.

BBC Radio 5live football correspondent Jonathan Legard says some officials are not sure Jol can deliver regular top-four Premier League finishes.

On Monday, Ramos' agent Alvaro Torres denied there had been any talks with Tottenham, despite Spanish press reports claiming that the 52-year-old coach met with Spurs officials at the weekend.

Both clubs said Ramos' appearance at a Spanish hotel was a private matter and Torres said the meeting was with a friend and had "nothing to do with football".

Italy's World Cup-winning coach Marcello Lippi and Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp have also been linked to the post at White Hart Lane.

Jol came under pressure after the two losses - to Sunderland and Everton - in the first four days of the season following a £40m summer outlay on players.

On Friday, one bookmaker suspended betting on Jol's departure but Spurs have insisted they are not negotiating for a new manager.

Some fans also believe it is too soon to make a decision on Jol's future after only three Premier League matches.

Daniel Wynne of the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust confirmed: "It's far too early to see how the season will go.

"Jol has taken us to fifth twice, which is better than any other manager, and has been backed in the summer with his signings."

Ramos has a contract with Sevilla until 2008 and was linked with the vacant post at Manchester City before Sven-Goran Eriksson was appointed at Eastlands.

It looks like Spurs are seriously trying to get rid of Jol, which I think is amazing. Ramos has done fantastically well at Sevilla, but sacking Jol now seems to go against their whole long-term strategy and it seems like something Shepherd would do. They've let Jol blow £17m on Bent, they have a huge injury list and they have three points out of nine - from an outsider's perspective, it's difficult to understand why they would sack Jol now after all the talk of slowly developing a top 4 team. Having said that, if it means Spurs finish below us this season, it's fine by me!

Edited by Bombadil

It looks like Spurs are seriously trying to get rid of Jol, which I think is amazing. Ramos has done fantastically well at Sevilla, but sacking Jol now seems to go against their whole long-term strategy and it seems like something Shepherd would do. They've let Jol blow £17m on Bent, they have a huge injury list and they have three points out of nine - from an outsider's perspective, it's difficult to understand why they would sack Jol now after all the talk of slowly developing a top 4 team. Having said that, if it means Spurs finish below us this season, it's fine by me!

Comolli buys the players.

imo hes one of the best managers in the league. He got 2 top 5 finshes with a team no better than ours. I cant see any other mangager bettering what hes done there tbh. If they replace him now i can see them not even making the top 7.

Guest stevieintoon
imo hes one of the best managers in the league. He got 2 top 5 finshes with a team no better than ours. I cant see any other mangager bettering what hes done there tbh. If they replace him now i can see them not even making the top 7.

You're right, he's a canny bloke as well. I like him. He's far too nice for them cunts. Even when Wenger was going to stick the nut on in him two inches away, he kept a diplomatic body language. He's calm, but I hope he does get sacked, and they get someone they really deserve as manager like David Pleat or Steve Bruce, and see them go to their natural level of 15th.

Guest stevieintoon
He's gone later this week.

Is that a FACT ?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz you ever read Cockney Wanker in The Viz?

Edited by stevieintoon

Jol isn't the manager to get Spurs into the top 4, which is what they want.

He took them to 5th 2 years in a row ( i think).

if anyones gonna do it - it'll be him.

but hes being undermined by commoli buying players they dont need.

The Spuds "devine right/We're a big team" mentality hasn't helped him either.

Jol staying at Spurs, says Levy

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has told under-fire manager Martin Jol that his job is safe but has warned him he wants to see Spurs in the Champions League.

Levy said in a statement: "We are an ambitious club and we have discussed our expectations with Martin.

"For that we need our management standards to be of the highest quality so that we can compete with the best.

"Martin has confirmed to me that he feels he is equipped with a squad and a determination to take the challenge."

Jol and his assistant Chris Hughton met with Levy and the rest of the Spurs' board on Tuesday.

"We had a full and frank conversation," Jol told Tottenham's website. "I fully understand the ambitions of the club - they are the same as the supporters.

Yes, it is pressure to deliver, but that is what we managers should expect. Hopefully all the media will relax now - all I shall be concentrating on is each and every game

Martin Jol

"He has put a lot of hard work into this club and with the squad of players we have assembled, it is realistic that we should look to challenge for a top four position and I have assured him and the Board that that is what I shall aim for.

"Yes, it is pressure to deliver, but that is what we managers should expect. Hopefully all the media will relax now - all I shall be concentrating on is each and every game."

Levy made it clear what he expects from Jol, adding: "We want Champions League football.

"We, the board, owe it to the club and the supporters to constantly assess our position and performance and to ensure that we have the ability to operate and compete at that level.

"We have made a massive investment in the squad and as a result we have the best squad of players this club has had for over 20 years and they are equally hungry for success and silverware."

BBC Radio 5live football correspondent Jonathan Legard believes some senior club officials are not sure Jol can deliver regular top-four Premier League finishes.

606: DEBATE

JC

Sevilla coach Juande Ramos was thought to be in line to replace him but now looks set to stay in Spain.

And Sevilla sporting director Ramon Rodriguez has outlined the Spanish's club determination to keep Ramos.

"From the club's point of view, Ramos has one year left on his contract with Sevilla," said Rodriguez.

"There's no doubt that we want him to continue."

But Spurs striker Dimitar Berbatov says he has no problem with Jol, despite claims he wanted to sell the Bulgarian, who reacted angrily after being substituted at Sunderland.

Berbatov's agent Emil Dantchev told BBC Sport: "I can tell you for sure that there is not a problem."

Dimitar is a player of Tottenham - there is nothing more to comment on that

Dimitar Berbatov's agent Emile Dantchev

Jol signed Berbatov for £10.9m from German side Bayer Leverkusen the previous summer and the Bulgaria international scored 22 goals in his first season at White Hart Lane.

Dantchev added: "Martin Jol is one of the people Dimitar has a very big respect for and he is not a player who can permit himself to make problems for the manager.

"The manager is one of the reasons that Dimitar came to Tottenham. They have a very good relationship."

Berbatov was said to be unhappy following his substitution after 77 minutes of his team's defeat at Sunderland on the opening day of the season.

But Dantchev said: "If he was not happy it was because they did not have a good result and his job is to help the club win games.

"They discussed the situation but it is football matter, it is normal."

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...pur/6957639.stm

Published: 2007/08/21 18:38:52 GMT

© BBC MMVII

God!!

it's nice to see soemoen else other than us becoming a laughing stock.................

I'm not a big fan of Jol but what the hell do they want - he's almost there - maybe one or two players short of a top 4 team

They have "Director of Football" - a real recipe for disaster - and a Board that just can't stop intervening

The great teams over the last 30 years have had a board that was hands off (Liverpool, ManUre, Arsenal...........) and a manager that ran the place with a rod of iron (Liverpool, Manure, Arsenal....)

the dross (Villa, Citeh, NUFC, Spurs, Chelsea for most of the time) have had interefering boards and constantly changing managers

The Spuds "devine right/We're a big team" mentality hasn't helped him either.

Who do they think they are? Us? :icon_lol:

Ramos 'snubbed huge Spurs offer'

Sevilla coach Juande Ramos says he rejected a "dizzying" offer to take over from Martin Jol at Tottenham.

Jol's future was as boss was in doubt after Spurs lost their first two games of the season before beating Derby.

"They made an excellent, dizzying offer, but I'm under contract and my decision is to fulfil it," said Ramos.

But Spurs have denied making any offer and said: "No individual was or has been offered the position while that position has been held by Martin Jol."

Spurs were reported to have met the Ramos camp over the weekend before telling Jol his job was safe providing he delivered Champions League football.

"There was not the slightest possibility that I would accept it because I'm under contract. It did not interest me or the club," added Ramos.

"I wasn't in a meeting with anyone, what happened was that I met with a person and that person went on to meet other people who were surely Tottenham."

Ramos is regarded as one of the most promising coaches in European football after guiding Sevilla to back-to-back Uefa Cups.

Sevilla beat Spurs on the way to their success in last season's Uefa Cup, while Ramos also led his side to third in La Liga and victory in the Copa del Rey - Spain's top domestic cup competition.

The Andalucian club are now primed to qualify for the group stages of this season's Champions League after a 2-0 win over AEK Athens in the first leg of their third round qualifier.

Ramos has already won the club's first trophy of this season after a 6-3 win on aggregate over league champions Real Madrid.

He said: "We are in the middle of a great project with Sevilla and there is still work to do."

Meanwhile, Jol has led Spurs to a fifth place in the Premier League in the past two campaigns, while going out in the last eight in the FA Cup to Chelsea and Sevilla in the Uefa Cup last season.