Steven Taylor still Pearce's captain in waiting

Steven Taylor still Pearce's captain in waiting

By Charles Carrick

Stuart Pearce has told Steven Taylor that he would like to make the Newcastle defender his new England Under-21 captain.

Taylor will miss tonight's Under-21 friendly against Romania at Bristol City's Ashton Gate as he has been called up to Steve McClaren's squad for the friendly against Germany tomorrow evening.

But Pearce is keen for the highly-rated Taylor, 21, who impressed during the Under-21 European Championship campaign in the summer, to replace Nigel Reo-Coker as his skipper on a full-time basis.

Nevertheless, the former Manchester City manager has stressed that he does not mind which squad Taylor is in and the youngster's development is the most important consideration.

"Part of my job is to get results and part of it is to get players upgraded," Pearce said. "I spoke to him on Sunday to congratulate him and tell him he'll be captaining this side when he's available to play.

"How quickly he gets into the seniors and stays there is a situation dependant on form and injuries.

Steve [McClaren] will make the final call. If you ask for my personal opinion: would he learn more from playing for me or sitting in the stands watching a game with one or two players ahead of him?

"If Steve wants to pick him on the bench to bring him on to get him capped that's ideal. If that's not the case, he's a big influence on this squad and we'd love to have him back."

ENGLAND U-21 (probable, 4-4-2): Hart (Manchester City); Gardner (Aston Villa), Onuoha (Manchester City), A Taylor (Middlesbrough), Wheater (Middlesbrough); M Johnson (Manchester City), Huddlestone (Tottenham), Noble (West Ham), Milner (Newcastle); Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Walcott (Arsenal).

Taylor warned to keep feet on ground

Aug 21 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

Steven Taylor

SAM ALLARDYCE is delighted that Steven Taylor has been called up for England – but he has warned his young defender to keep his feet firmly on the ground.

The Newcastle defender is expected to be on the bench for tomorrow’s friendly with Germany at Wembley.

Wes Brown and Micah Richards are ahead of Taylor in the pecking order at the heart of the injury-hit defence.

But I would not be surprised if Taylor is called off the bench to add a full England cap to his 18 Under-21 appearances.

Allardyce, who was not too far away from being England manager, believes it will be a great experience for Taylor, whom Stuart Pearce yesterday said would captain the Under-21s should he ever be available to him again.

He said today: “I think that from Steven’s point of view it’s a great honour at a young age to get called up for England.

“Initially, I thought he was getting called up for the Under-21s, but I got the call from Steve who has included him so he can get a feel for it.

“It’ll be a great experience for him, so long as it doesn’t go to his head.”

Taylor’s United colleagues Michael Owen and Alan Smith are also in the England squad and are more likely to be in Steve McClaren’s starting line-up than the young defender.

Howey the lad says old boy Steve

Aug 22 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

Steve Howey in action for Newcastle

STEVE HOWEY is backing Steven Taylor to follow in his footsteps into the England team – and win more than the five caps he picked up as a Newcastle United defender.

Of course, Jonathan Woodgate played for England in his short time in a black-and-white shirt.

But Taylor will become the first home-grown central defender to break into the national team since Howey in the mid-90s if, as expected, he is called off the bench in tonight’s friendly with Germany at Wembley.

United have three players in the England set-up in Taylor, Michael Owen and Alan Smith.

However, Howey can recall when himself, Alan Shearer, Les Ferdinand, Rob Lee, Warren Barton and David Batty all represented their country in the halcyon days under Kevin Keegan.

The Sunderland-born former United defender broke off from a family holiday in Tenerife to tell me today: “I could not be more pleased for Steven Taylor.

“With him playing in my old position, and being a local lad like myself, I have watched his progress, and I have to say he thoroughly deserves his England call-up.

“What will help him is the fact he has Sam Allardyce as his manager at St James’ Park.

“I only worked under Sam for a short while at Bolton right near the end of my career.

“He did wonders for me, and I expect young Taylor to feel the benefit from Allardyce’s coaching.”

Howey (pictured) is still very much involved in the game as he coaches the Middlesbrough Under-14 team with Kevin Taylor at the Riverside and has another coaching position at Houghall College in Durham.

He wants to become a manager or coach in the Premiership and is halfway through his Pro ‘A’ licence.

However, he does have one regret about his international career – the fact he only has five caps tucked safely away at home.

He added: “I only hope young Taylor is luckier than I was with injuries.

“Terry Venables told me I was going to be his central defender but then I got injured and first Gareth Southgate and then Sol Campbell came in – the rest is history.

“I am sure Steven will have a long and successful career for both club and country as long as he avoids injuries.

“I would urge him to enjoy every moment.”

I think the bit in bold might be wrong.

Anyway, any thoughts on Steve Howey?

I never rated Howey that much although a lot seemed to think he was class. I always thought under KK Peacock and Albert was the best partnership in central defence.

I rated him. Injuries nobbled him and Elliott to shells of their former selves in the latter days.

True, although I rated Elliott more highly as a youngster.

howey was a good but not great player.

albert was class.

I think Albert was a tad over rated as a defender. People just remember his rampaging runs (and that chip) but all in all...was an average defender imo.

Defensively better than Howey and a better footballer too (especially pre-injury). They were both sweepers essentially, preferring to drop-off, I just felt Albert was better at reading the game (and in just about every other aspect) and he transformed Peacock as a player too.

I rated him. Injuries nobbled him and Elliott to shells of their former selves in the latter days.

Aye, Elliott I used to rate a lot, but he got that really bad injury at the start of his Bolton career and never looked anywhere near the same player.

I thought Super Robbie would become an England international before his first bad injury. Lost 2 yards of pace after he did his knee in. Horrible luck.

Did we flog Elliott to Bolton due to Beresford or Pistone?

I remember both Elliott and Beresford playing in midfield under Kenny. Bereford scored a fucking screamer against Villa too.

Aye, Elliott I used to rate a lot, but he got that really bad injury at the start of his Bolton career and never looked anywhere near the same player.

He had 2 bad knee injuries at the Toon IIRC before Bolton. I heard thats why Dogleash sold him.

howey was a good but not great player.

albert was class.

I think Albert was a tad over rated as a defender. People just remember his rampaging runs (and that chip) but all in all...was an average defender imo.

Defensively better than Howey and a better footballer too (especially pre-injury). They were both sweepers essentially, preferring to drop-off, I just felt Albert was better at reading the game (and in just about every other aspect) and he transformed Peacock as a player too.

Peasy was on the verge of boo-boy-dom at one point. I can remember Wee John Spencer out jumping him then going on to score v Chelsea at home one year. Got his act together in the end though.

He had 2 bad knee injuries at the Toon IIRC before Bolton. I heard thats why Dogleash sold him.

He had a blinder and scored a good goal against Leeds iirc in the match where he (re-) done his knee. He was never quick anyway but I think he lost a bit of pace with that. He still looked a good player though and I think I'm right in saying that Dalglish played him in every league game after he arrived often on the left of a midfield 3. He looked good there but he was sold and Pistone arrived :icon_lol:

I think got the double leg break on his Bolton debut (home debut mebbies). I seem to remember it was the Monday night after Princess Diana died, i.e. the day after our game against Liverpool was cancelled. The fucking bitch.

He had a blinder and scored a good goal against Leeds iirc in the match where he (re-) done his knee. He was never quick anyway but I think he lost a bit of pace with that. He still looked a good player though and I think I'm right in saying that Dalglish played him in every league game after he arrived often on the left of a midfield 3. He looked good there but he was sold and Pistone arrived :icon_lol:

I think got the double leg break on his Bolton debut (home debut mebbies). I seem to remember it was the Monday night after Princess Diana died, i.e. the day after our game against Liverpool was cancelled. The fucking bitch.

Can remember coming downstairs and my mother telling me the game had been cancelled cos Priincess Di had died. I was gutted.......that the game was off. :rolleyes:

My Mam woke me up in bed in tears :icon_lol: I thought there'd been a death in the family. I was over the moon when she told me what it was. I said 'Is that it?' and went back to sleep.