11-year old shot dead in Liverpool

Hatful Of Hollow

It actually kinda reminds me of how violent attacks on teachers have gone from being pretty much non-existent in the early 90's to a fairly common thing (last I heard was over a 5000% - yes five thousand I didn't add an extra 0 by mistake :icon_lol: - increase in them, so from 1 a year to 5000 a year etc - not a lot of room for statistical massage in that :D ).

Which isn't directly linked to gang-like murders and such, but IS another symptom of the underlying issues that have caused both to occur.

[pedant] a 5000% increase would be from 1 per year to 50 per year. Still a shocking stat if true, but there is a huge difference between 5000x and 5000% [/pedant].Think about the stuff they print, as a lot of it is for shock value.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It actually kinda reminds me of how violent attacks on teachers have gone from being pretty much non-existent in the early 90's to a fairly common thing (last I heard was over a 5000% - yes five thousand I didn't add an extra 0 by mistake :headphonedance: - increase in them, so from 1 a year to 5000 a year etc - not a lot of room for statistical massage in that :icon_lol: ).

Which isn't directly linked to gang-like murders and such, but IS another symptom of the underlying issues that have caused both to occur.

[pedant] a 5000% increase would be from 1 per year to 50 per year. Still a shocking stat if true, but there is a huge difference between 5000x and 5000% [/pedant].Think about the stuff they print, as a lot of it is for shock value.

Oops yeah. :headphonedance: (should have realised there'd be more attacks than teachers :D ) But still it's a pretty huge rise.

If the incidence of cancer went up 50x is a similar period of time, or incidence of murder (or level of council tax for that matter), etc. etc. it'd never be out of the news and there'd be a billion (meaningless) Government initiatives.

Either way it's gone from being a non-existent (effectively) problem to a fairly common one and is probably tied into the same underlying issues as other current youth crime issues.

Expect a initiative to have a ping pong table on the end of every street to stop gun deaths and physical assaults (as clearly it would). :headphonedance: