Luque to join Ajax

smoggeordie

NEWCASTLE’S £9.5million flop striker Albert Luque is joining Ajax on a free.

The Spaniard, 29, scored one Premier League goal in two seasons.

Luque moaned: "I started the season in a positive frame of mind but the coaches have quickened my exit."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390...7250874,00.html

It's very much mirrored what happened last season... he starts games preseason, does well and even scores looking like he might challenge for the first team again, then just gets blocked out. Oh well, might as well put an end to to it.

I feel disapointed, but I'm starting to wonder if two different managers seemingly wash their hands of him can be a coincedence ?

It's very much mirrored what happened last season... he starts games preseason, does well and even scores looking like he might challenge for the first team again, then just gets blocked out. Oh well, might as well put an end to to it.

And what's the common factor there?

It looked apparent he was not going to feature in the scheme of things so perhaps it's best to bite the bullet and let him go on a free, at least the money for his weekly wage won't keep going down the drain.

At least he's gotten £6m in wages or whatever off the books.

I was a bit suprised the way he was phased out after he started games in pre-season and Fat Sam was knocking out sounbites about how much he rates him from his time at Mallorca etc.

There's just GOT to be something else though (and I'd hardly say he's set the world a light this season - or any season).

I mean Allardyce is renowned for getting difficult players to play so if he's getting rid then there really is something terribly wrong (or just plain :D ) with Luque.

And what's the common factor there?

He's failed to win a statring place under 3 consecutive managers. No matter how shit you might think they are (or how shit you might think some of them are) it says a lot. Not suited to English football is probably the polite way of putting it. Also, while not ideal, him going on a free is better than him going somewhere on loan and us paying half his wages for a year. I honestly can't see him leaving us under different circumstances to this as there's no way he would get what were giving him. So that would have meant 3 more seasons (iirc) including this one on upwards of 50k a week. Call this the least unsatisfactory solution if you like. I'm guessing he's getting a canny signing-on fee btw.

mercenary, but wih a horrendous injury that he's only just (allegedly) recovered from according to big sam.

hopefully the managers and coaches will do a little more homework on their future signings so that we don't have this happen again.

As Alex stated its the least unsatisfactory stuation....

mercenary, but wih a horrendous injury that he's only just (allegedly) recovered from according to big sam.

hopefully the managers and coaches will do a little more homework on their future signings so that we don't have this happen again.

As Alex stated its the least unsatisfactory stuation....

Or alternatively Sam has just discovered the truth about said injury.

He must have a pretty good reason to be getting rid, especially as you'd think Luque would be more suited to playing in the type of formation we've played for much of this season than the usual 4-4-2 he's been slotted into here before.

Maybe Albert just thought he was out of his depth and told the management as much - I wouldn't have thought it would just be a case of getting rid without some feedback from the player - its unfortunate but without in depth research on a player its a lottery even with the research nowts nailed on

Newcastle United striker Albert Luque has confirmed his intention to join Ajax.

The Spaniard has struggled to make an impact during two years at St James' Park and has missed the start of the season through injury.

He has long been linked with an exit as Newcastle look to recoup part of their £9.5million outlay on Luque.

The former Deportivo La Coruna attacker had admitted an interest in joining Real Betis, while he has also been courted by Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven.

But Luque has now opted to join Ajax after acknowledging he had received an offer to link up with Betis.

"I will move to Ajax," Luque told Radio Sevilla.

"I want to thank Betis for their interest, but I will move to Ajax."

The Spaniard has struggled to make an impact during two years at St James' Park and has missed the start of the season through injury.

He has long been linked with an exit as Newcastle look to recoup part of their £9.5million outlay on Luque.

The former Deportivo La Coruna attacker had admitted an interest in joining Real Betis, while he has also been courted by Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven.

But Luque has now opted to join Ajax after acknowledging he had received an offer to link up with Betis.

hopefully Ashley will up the price at the last minute again :D

hopefully Ashley will up the price at the last minute again :icon_lol:

:D