Stuck on which car...

peasepud

I've narrowed down my search to three types of motors but really cant decide between them.

Mondeo ST220

2003_MonST2.jpg

I like Fords, they're nae hassle well built and Ive always felt comfortable driving them, the ST's a different class again with a 3.0 litre V6 but at the end of the day its just a Mondeo :icon_lol:

Jag X-Type

Jaguar-X-Type-5.jpg

I've always wanted to own a Jag and with prices being as low as they are at the minute Im very tempted, It would have to be a 2.5 or 3.0 V6 Sport version though. But then again it has to be asked...."why are the price of them so low??" :D

Mercedes CLK Convertible

clk_cabriolet_8_main.jpg

Always liked them always will but not sure on the practicalities of a convertible considering we just had our one day of sun today. Anything I do get in this model will probably be slightly older than either of the above.

Other than those 3 I cant think of anything else that takes my fancy, chances are I'll end up getting a bog standard motor :headphonedance: Whats the thoughts of everyone else?

The x-type is a mondeo with a different body, you're paying a premium for the name and image.

Running cost will be much higher for a Merc than a Ford, the spec will probably be lower or, as you said, you'll have to go for and older / high-miler one. I also can't see the point of convertibles in this country, plus there's the security issue, plus they're hairdressers cars.

I'd go for the ST. You're getting a cracking V6 engine, all the toys plus the usual benefits of owning a Ford ie cheap parts, loads of dealers, easy parts availability. The only downside is the image: that everybody has a Ford or they are a rep-mobiles.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

The x-type is a mondeo with a different body, you're paying a premium for the name and image.

Running cost will be much higher for a Merc than a Ford, the spec will probably be lower or, as you said, you'll have to go for and older / high-miler one. I also can't see the point of convertibles in this country, plus there's the security issue, plus they're hairdressers cars.

I'd go for the ST. You're getting a cracking V6 engine, all the toys plus the usual benefits of owning a Ford ie cheap parts, loads of dealers, easy parts availability. The only downside is the image: that everybody has a Ford or they are a rep-mobiles.

Quoted for truth tbh

Its true though about the x-type just being a mondeo in a sexier body, thing is though the premium isnt a great amount more than the Ford. The x-type also comes in a 3 litre V6 so I wonder whether the engine loses much over the STs?

As for the Merc I dont see them as hairdressers cars, admittedly most convertibles are but I would say the Merc is one of the few that can get away with it. It is an altogether different drive again when the weathers good and the tops down. But like you say, just how often will that happen in this gawd foresaken place??

Quoted for truth tbh

Its true though about the x-type just being a mondeo in a sexier body, thing is though the premium isnt a great amount more than the Ford. The x-type also comes in a 3 litre V6 so I wonder whether the engine loses much over the STs?

As for the Merc I dont see them as hairdressers cars, admittedly most convertibles are but I would say the Merc is one of the few that can get away with it. It is an altogether different drive again when the weathers good and the tops down. But like you say, just how often will that happen in this gawd foresaken place??

The engine in the Jag is essentially the same as the ST220 one, with the addition of variable valve timing. It produces slightly more power (in terms of bhp) but the torque is fractionally less. Not sure how they compare for economy.

The engine in the Jag is essentially the same as the ST220 one, with the addition of variable valve timing. It produces slightly more power (in terms of bhp) but the torque is fractionally less. Not sure how they compare for economy.

Aye but if you're driving a 3 litre V6 you cant really haggle over an extra 2mpg or so though :D

Aye but if you're driving a 3 litre V6 you cant really haggle over an extra 2mpg or so though :D

Ain't that the truth. I've ran a couple of V6's in the past, you don't pass many petrol stations. Lovely noise though.

Ive got a 2.5 V6 SRi Vectra sitting unused in the garage, its the car Ive enjoyed driving the most, like you say theres a certain growl when you open it up and then the whine as it cools down once the engines off. I never confess to knowing that much about motors but I know the torque in that thing was mental.

if those were the only 3 choices - it would have to be the mondeo.

but if it were my money - i'd look at audi.

Ive looked and Im just not keen, you dont seem to get a lot for your dosh Audi wise tbh, I know theyve got good engines but they only ever seem to come in 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0 litre versions. I also toyed with the idea of a 9-3 Saab convertible but was put off by the wheels (of all things!) they're just too small for the car.

Ive searched and searched but have seen very little that takes me fancy other than the three mentioned.

Ive looked and Im just not keen, you dont seem to get a lot for your dosh Audi wise tbh, I know theyve got good engines but they only ever seem to come in 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0 litre versions. I also toyed with the idea of a 9-3 Saab convertible but was put off by the wheels (of all things!) they're just too small for the car.

Ive searched and searched but have seen very little that takes me fancy other than the three mentioned.

You can get a 3.2 V6 engine in the A4, but as you say they don't come cheap. I'm fancying an A3 sportback at the moment.

Thats where your dosh goes, on the mechanics.

what about the vectra 3.2 v6 gsi?

i think alfa have new v6 model out

nissan 350z v6?

the new golf v6?

I wouldn't touch an Alfa if you rely on your car on a day-to-day basis.

I know, I like the look of the Spider but frankly its less reliable than filling Papa Laz full of bevvy and locking the toilet door :D

As for the new GSi vectra, I love my old shape one but Ive driven a couple of the new ones and theyre really flat.

Only thing Id say about the Merc is that I had a CLK270 and was easily the most comfortable drive Ive had. I do alot of motorway miles and it was an automatic which makes things so much easier. In fact I always get auto's now. down side of them is things like tyres, you're paying waaaay over the odds when you change em. Think I now pay something like £80 ~ £120 ea. Another problem I had with mine was driving in the snow. Couple of seasons ago I couldnt get off the drive (bit of an incline) due to the snow. Its rear wheel drive. Mine wasnt the convertable like, since changed it for an enviroment destroying 4x4 :D

Edit : forgot to mention, the mpg wasnt too shabby on the CLK, I was getting about 36mpg avg.

Edited by JawD

of the 3 you've chosen the mondeo wins hands down.

i'm getting a new car in october. an audi s3. very nice.

My bro's got one, he fucking hates it, had tons of bother with it as has one of his colleagues with the same model.

BMW for me, I've put 140,000 miles on my 523 and only on the third set of tires and first set of replacement break pads and shoes.

Edit - it's crap in snow/ice tho

Edited by Toonpack

Well my uninformed opinion is:

Mondeo: Solid, unspectacular. To me it doesn't look like it cost as much as it does.

Jag: Lost some of its exclusivity now that I see taxi drivers running round in them.

CLK: A convertible? Not unless you're a woman or a balding 50 year old.

My bro's got one, he fucking hates it, had tons of bother with it as has one of his colleagues with the same model.

BMW for me, I've put 140,000 miles on my 523 and only on the third set of tires and first set of replacement break pads and shoes.

blimey, i've had nothing but good reports of of people that have one. i've got a mate with one and he's had no bother.

blimey, i've had nothing but good reports of of people that have one. i've got a mate with one and he's had no bother.

Can only speak from what my brother says, him and his mate got them at the same time (company cars) and both have had a mare. Possibly just unlucky with a dodgy production run, but they reckon the after sales/fixing service was shite as well.

jags just scream Alan Partridge to me. They are hideous. Mondeos are probably the most depressing car you can get too, but the new style is a lot nicer than the old ones

Partridge was a Lexus man, no? "The Japanese Mercedes"

Rover and Lexus iirc.