Toon’s £225m price tag

Jimbo

Toon’s £225m price tag

Aug 26 2007

NEWCASTLE UNITED owner Mike Ashley is ready to name his price to would-be buyers of the club: £225 MILLION.

And he must now wait to see if that figure scares off a Chinese consortium showing interest in the Magpies.

Although a rumoured Icelandic bid for the club came to nothing, the Sunday Sun understands there is real substance to talk of an approach from China.

But whether that will offer Ashley a £50 million-plus premium on his investment in United remains to be seen.

The sports retail billionaire has ploughed around £170 million – £133 million in buying the club, £30 million to reduce its debts and a £7 million net spend on players – into St James’s Park.

I think everyone who'd read the other stories had done the sums and knew they didn't make sense so the SS has just named the figure and made another none story.

I love the way people actually think theres a difference between the tabloid tossers and the Thomson House muppets.

From a NOTW interview with Spurs vice-chairman Paul Kemsley.

Kemsley, speaking from his yacht in the south of France, then scotched all talk that he wants to topple chairman Levy and assume control of the club himself.

And he laughed off reports that he has teamed up with multi-millionaire chum Ashley to try to seize control at White Hart Lane.

Kemsley added: "I am a great admirer of Daniel and what he has done for this club. The report that I'm teaming up with Mike to take charge is just nonsense.

"Yes, Mike is my best friend and has been from the time we worked together in a sports shop as teenagers. But he's not a Tottenham fan and I know he is totally committed to Newcastle.

"Me? I always have been a Spurs fan so I would love it if we could stuff Newcastle 4-0 when we play them and, friends or not, I would laugh straight in Mike's face."

For £225m I reckon he'd sell.

He probably would but that's valuing the club at something like £265million (inc the debt) isn't it? Someone could have had the club for a lot less than that before it was bought (around £200million if you include the debt as it stood). I can't see why there's this sudden interest in buying the club for more now Ashley has bought it. I just get the feeling the press aren't getting anything much out of the club these days so they're making things up.

Everything has a price. But this number for one seems to have been plucked out of thin air. But secondly, its like saying would we sell Given for £20M Well, yes sure we would, but is he worth £20M and would anyone actually offer £20M? No. Its all very well saying he would sell the club for £225M, but would anyone actually pay that? Would anyone actually buy something for £225M that was worth £170M or whatever? Is there someone around with that much spare change in their pocket who really want this club that badly? I think not.

A fair comment about these stories from Mort on .cock

Sunday Speculation - Chairman Comments

IN response to various speculative reports in the weekend's newspapers Newcastle United Chairman Chris Mort told nufc.co.uk on Sunday:

"The Club is not going to get drawn in to commenting on press speculation in the sports pages.

"I think most fans appreciate that there are those that make mischief by circulating stories about players and clubs.

"We have not, for example, had offers for Obafemi Martins or, for that matter, for the Club itself.

"Rather than reacting each time stories such as these appear in the press any developments at the Club will be reported on the Club's website."

For £225m I reckon he'd sell.

He probably would but that's valuing the club at something like £265million (inc the debt) isn't it? Someone could have had the club for a lot less than that before it was bought (around £200million if you include the debt as it stood). I can't see why there's this sudden interest in buying the club for more now Ashley has bought it. I just get the feeling the press aren't getting anything much out of the club these days so they're making things up.

I came to this conclusion a couple of weeks ago. The press are getting absolutely zip from NUFC these days (from feast to famine - pun intended, by comparing Mort's BMI with Shepherd's and their relative messages to the media) and are just making any old shite up in order to get some response, hell, any response from the club. As Mort has just said, they are now not going to play ball by commenting on any made-up story in the papers.

It's a clever bit of p.r. Signals his intentions far more effectively than a press release. Wonder if he had his shoes off?

I couldn't agree more. Those are not the actions of a man who is in the mood to sell up imo.

:D:icon_lol: for the shoes off comment!

EDIT: btw, reports of him turning to Steve Gibson after Viduka had scored, shouting 'Up yours, you toilet-brush-headed pauper' are (wait for it) wide of the mark!!

Edited by snakehips