Middlesbrough v Newcastle: Match Thread

Besty

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There we are F/T - 2-2

Now wait for all the doomsday fans to start coming out now!

Looked a bit better in the second half as the midfield started playing around with the ball but there is a lot to work with there. We are still undefeated and have played 3 games.

We have the Bull coming in next weekend and will slot into LB, Taylor moved to RB and Cacapa and Rozehnal at CB.

I think we need a creative link in the midfield but at the same time cannot wait till Joey Joe Joe Junior gets fit and raring to go.

Aye we need a creative player and more importantly we just need time for the players to get used to this formation, get Barton back, and get Owen 100% fit.

We're still unbeaten and tbh I'd take draws away from home for the most part with the odd win here and there.

EDIT! Viduka is still some way from full fitness too. It'll all come together eventually.

I think starting with Owen and Viduka against Barnsley would be good. Maybe even push Martins into a central midfield role and allow him to use his pace to run at some players and create something.

NO is in meltdown. Some people have way too high expectations, it is early on in the season. Plenty of time to get it right and all you need is a string of games won and you never know where you can head.

Guest Patrokles
If we're gonna get Owen back to 100%, he needs games, not 20 minutes here and there. And let's face it, Martins is fuck all use, so we may as well start starting games with Owen imo.

Agreed about Owen, but I thought Martins worked hard, Viduka on the other hand did fuck all other than his goal.

I'll take his goal today over Martins' hard work, thanks.

we just need time for the players to get used to this formation

Or just start using a formation that suits the players?

60 mins before our first corner, 62 mins before Viduka's first shot on goal, I daren't even look at the possession stats, either way, it speaks volumes about our style of play.

If we're gonna get Owen back to 100%, he needs games, not 20 minutes here and there. And let's face it, Martins is fuck all use, so we may as well start starting games with Owen imo.

Agreed about Owen, but I thought Martins worked hard, Viduka on the other hand did fuck all other than his goal.

Martins did work hard today, which is why i was surprised he came off.

I think Viduka doesnt suit this formation. He was consistantly outnumbered up front and had no one to work with as Milner and Martins were generally in wide positions. I think if he had Martins or Owen at his feet in a 4-4-2 then we would see a different Viduka. Just my thoughts though, and i agree he didnt do too much but classy goal.

Fuck me, you don't say ?

Guest Patrokles

Fuck me, you don't say ?

What was your point, then?

Fuck me, you don't say ?

I was making an observation regarding how much effort Martins put into the match, he worked tirelessly, as opposed to Viduka how strolled around and did very little.

Ultimately, strikers are there to score goals, and Viduka produced a fine goal today and the only measure of a striker is goals, but people seem quick to slag off Martins, the point I was making he worked very hard today, tracking back and getting forward and that deserves credit in my opinion.

Guest Patrokles

Fuck me, you don't say ?

I was making an observation regarding how much effort Martins put into the match, he worked tirelessly, as opposed to Viduka how strolled around and did very little.

Ultimately, strikers are there to score goals, and Viduka produced a fine goal today and the only measure of a striker is goals, but people seem quick to slag off Martins, the point I was making he worked very hard today, tracking back and getting forward and that deserves credit in my opinion.

His work-rate deserves acknowledgment, but as Gemmill said, he didn't actually contribute anything.

Fuck me, you don't say ?

His work-rate deserves acknowledgment, but as Gemmill said, he didn't actually contribute anything.

You could argue thats as much to do with tactics as much as anything else, very few chances for any of the strikers, as it was said before, it took Viduka an hour before his first shot on target, what was his contribution up until then ? I don't see how anyone can single out Martins, thats my point.

So little creativity again. It was the same as the villa match but with 2 good individual goals. That midfield 3 just doesnt work.

Nzogbia seems to be our only creative outlet at the minute. We need to revert to 442 with our new expensive LB and Zoggy on the LW.

I just found it such a frustrating game to watch, we are playing no better than last season, geremi isnt all hes cracked up to be and im scared as captain hes going to be an ever present this season

Guest Patrokles

Fuck me, you don't say ?

You could argue thats as much to do with tactics as much as anything else, very few chances for any of the strikers, as it was said before, it took Viduka an hour before his first shot on target, what was his contribution up until then ? I don't see how anyone can single out Martins, thats my point.

No one is singling out Martins on this performance, I would speculate that it's a perception of him that was formed throughout last season. Especially by Gemmill.

We played very well in first half up until they scored. Was Taylor's mistake I reckon, should have stepped up with Roz and the rest of the back for instead of following Mido and playing him onside! After their goal we just looked deflated and Viduka proved once again that he is no Kevin Davies in the air so why the ball is pumped to him at head height from all over the place I'll never know. The lad has a big head, fair enough; but he is so much more comfortable with a ball to feet than in the air, it's sick to keep watching it, I reckon Andy Carroll and Ameobi would have won as much if not more in the air than the Duke today.

Disappointing to see Martins come off again to make way for Owen, service to Martins was poor today and I bet you he would have finished off that chance Owen missed. I thought Martins didn't play too badly today and passed it around no problems. He also showed ridiculous pace from Viduka's ball over the top in the first half and it was a shame he couldn't do better in the finish, but few would have got close to carving a chance out for themselves in that position so credit to him for that. Was disappointing to see Martins' reaction to coming off either, hopefully was just frustration but it's never good to see a player look so glum coming off...

Cacapa was bloody solid when he came on. On this showing, i'd start him in the middle against Barnsley with Taylor at right back and Roz in the middle. Was loving Cacapa's challenges, brutal.

Smith was useless today, passion < quality. With everyone fit he would not get anywhere near the starting lineup for me after the 3 games I have seen this season, thought he was alright against Sampdoria though. He just lacks footballing ability for me, more likely to get sent off than make a goal for the team imo =/

Butt played well I thought, better than Geremi who was a bit anonymous today. Milner was alright in patches, and Zog although not the greatest defensive display today was our shining light offensively. We need to play him left wing sooner rather than later as he's showing some of that form we know he has in him, wonderful goal today, sheer quality.

Viduka took his goal very well, was a nice bit of footwork and caught a decent volley into that bottom corner. Needs to show much more with the rest of his play though, and we need to be giving it to his feet more, not just lump it to that fat beacon of a head he has.

Was one of those annoying games that we should have won and would have if we could have hung onto the lead for more than 10 mins I reckon. Much work to be done but I'm positive Sam and the lads will sort it out....

Good to see Ashley with the shirt on by the way, now he needs to show us a heinous amount of money!

Smith was useless today, passion < quality. With everyone fit he would not get anywhere near the starting lineup for me after the 3 games I have seen this season, thought he was alright against Sampdoria though. He just lacks footballing ability for me, more likely to get sent off than make a goal for the team imo =/

:D

:D

May have been a tad harsh but it wasn't his day for me. It's a long season and I'm sure we'll have to see him up front a few times and then make our judgment, but that 6 million could have been put towards a Manuel Fernandes for example, an exciting ball-playing midfielder with pace and forward drive in both his passing and athleticism. Still hoping we get another creative player in as well as Faye, a couple short of a decent squad.

I really think some people need a reality check. New manager, new players and new formation. Surely you have to understand it takes time to get these things to work. I was glad to see SA seen it wasnt working in the first half and we caused many more problems in the 2nd at 442. Whether 442 or 433 he needs time and people shouldnt expect us to go win 3-1 away from home all the time. Tad disappointed yes, but after that game that really could have gone either way is fair. Good performances from Milner & Zog down the left. Cacapa looked good when he came on.

I do think we lack creativity in the centre though but SA did say he would build from the back and dare I say we are looking much better there. Despite being desparate for a new RB (more so with todays injuries).

So, chill the fk out and lets see how we do on Wed when we might see Owen get more than 20mins and Enrique may get a look at LB.

Still unbeaten :D

A poor point IMO, We should have hammered them but we have no creative spark. Smith,Geremi & Butt give plenty of effort and bite in the middle but none of em can create or have vision. I really think this 4-3-3 isnt going to produce anything other than dour,defensive football.

Graet strikes from Vid & Zog, liked the look of Capaca at the back with Taylor at RB, be interesting to see Enrique at LB, push Zoggy into LM in a 4-4-2 formation.

Lets see who comes in this week, or goes out, then we will have a good idea of what we have to look forward to for the next four months, not more of this shite hopefully

The goals courtesy of Soccerpulse if anyone didn't see it:

asd.jpg

Premiership 4th Round - Sunday, 26 August

True Sports 1 Coverage - English Commentary

HQ Clips - XviD - 900 kbps - 496 x 372

Middlesbrough v Newcastle

0 - 1 N'Zogbia

Download Sendspace

1 - 1 Mido (No Sound)

Download Sendspace

1 - 2 Viduka

Download Sendspace

2 - 2 J.Arca

Download Sendspace

I mentioned it straight after the Villa game, but we miss Dyer imo. There's nobody moving through the centre of midfield between defence and attack, the midfield is just very static and pretty easy to read. Smith managed to surge forward once today iirc. Hopefully things will change when Barton starts getting a game.

I mentioned it straight after the Villa game, but we miss Dyer imo. There's nobody moving through the centre of midfield between defence and attack, the midfield is just very static and pretty easy to read. Smith managed to surge forward once today iirc. Hopefully things will change when Barton starts getting a game.

I think I know what you mean, we miss a player who take the ball and run past players, and breathe some creativity into the game, we just need someone that can do that but with a better final ball than Dyer.

N'Zogbia's contribution today was a good example of what we are wasting by playing him at left-back, although I thought he did well, he's better utilised as an attacking player.

Hopefully we won't have to wait until Barton is back for that. Once Enrique is ready to step in maybe Zog could play in a much more attacking role. He could be great in a Dyer type role. Overall a better player already imo.

I think I know what you mean, we miss a player who take the ball and run past players, and breathe some creativity into the game, we just need someone that can do that but with a better final ball than Dyer.

Aye I've seen Dyer miss enough chances/play enough poor final balls in the last week to tell me we don't really miss Dyer specifically, but we miss someone prepared to take on the responsibility for making things happen. Someone buzzing around in the midfield, giving people an option, taking players on etc. I haven't really seen enough of Barton to know if he can do this (without the pace obviously, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have that). Maybe Emre can do something along these lines. Although tbh, I think we need to bring someone in otherwise we'll just be making do.

Hopefully we won't have to wait until Barton is back for that. Once Enrique is ready to step in maybe Zog could play in a much more attacking role. He could be great in a Dyer type role. Overall a better player already imo.

Looks like he's enjoying his football for the first time in a while. He looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders when Roeder was here.