Middlesbrough v Newcastle: Match Thread

Besty

I mentioned it straight after the Villa game, but we miss Dyer imo. There's nobody moving through the centre of midfield between defence and attack, the midfield is just very static and pretty easy to read. Smith managed to surge forward once today iirc. Hopefully things will change when Barton starts getting a game.

I think I know what you mean, we miss a player who take the ball and run past players, and breathe some creativity into the game, we just need someone that can do that but with a better final ball than Dyer.

I was shot down for saying we should have replaced Dyer with a player with similar qualities at the time we signed Smith, so far this season our midfield trio has created fuck all and don't look like doing so either, in fact the two best players at bringing the ball forward for us have been N'Zogbia and Rozenhal, it's not good enough and it's painful to watch.

Still at least all three of them get stuck in.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned it straight after the Villa game, but we miss Dyer imo. There's nobody moving through the centre of midfield between defence and attack, the midfield is just very static and pretty easy to read. Smith managed to surge forward once today iirc. Hopefully things will change when Barton starts getting a game.

I think I know what you mean, we miss a player who take the ball and run past players, and breathe some creativity into the game, we just need someone that can do that but with a better final ball than Dyer.

I was shot down for saying we should have replaced Dyer with a player with similar qualities at the time we signed Smith, so far this season our midfield trio has created fuck all and don't look like doing so either, in fact the two best players at bringing the ball forward for us have been N'Zogbia and Rozenhal, it's not good enough and it's painful to watch.

Still at least all three of them get stuck in.

I shot you down for just repeatedly saying that Smith is shit. Which I still don't think is true. I've been saying that we'll miss Dyer when he's gone for a long while now.

to be fair the miserable little bastard (N'Zogbia) always looks like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders, must be the French in him. He does look the player that he was the season before last though and I can't wait for him to get a run of games either on the left mid of a 4-4-2, or the left centre of a 4-3-3. Emre may be useful in that position also but we have to see how committed and fit he looks under the new regime before passing judgment on the little fella imo...

Edited by bassplayerjj

Hopefully we won't have to wait until Barton is back for that. Once Enrique is ready to step in maybe Zog could play in a much more attacking role. He could be great in a Dyer type role. Overall a better player already imo.

Looks like he's enjoying his football for the first time in a while. He looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders when Roeder was here.

Still doesnt smile for fuck... but he's been getting on with it even though being played out of position. Running his socks off tracking, making challenges and the first to celebrate with team mates when we score.

Btw, he kissed the badge after he scored :D

Thought he did pretty well, comfortable and composed. Looks so good on the ball, very two-footed, good range of passing. Didn't really have to do a lot today though he was almost left red-faced once when he and Zog failed to deal with someone (can't remember who). Closest player I have seen to him in the past 4 games I've seen him is Rio Ferdinand but without the bling-factor. Not the most commanding but a cultured centre-back, the ideal partner for Taylor or Cacapa, a more solid and aggressive player.

How did Rozehnal play today?

Another problem-free performance. Cacapa looked every inch the experienced, composed centre half when he came on too.

Agreed, Cacapa is looking a fantastic aquisition.

Another problem-free performance. Cacapa looked every inch the experienced, composed centre half when he came on too.

Cacapa was the bees knees. Rozehnal was good, made 1 notable mistake where he dived in when I think Butt was already there.

Cacapa was the bees knees. Rozehnal was good, made 1 notable mistake where he dived in when I think Butt was already there.

Wasn't on long but the way he handled that challenge on Tuncay in the box where he just calmly took the ball off him, and then the other challenge when Boro looked to be breaking down the left, and he just stepped up and dispossessed someone without lunging in at all, and came away with the ball at his feet was quality.

If we're gonna get Owen back to 100%, he needs games, not 20 minutes here and there. And let's face it, Martins is fuck all use, so we may as well start starting games with Owen imo.

Agreed about Owen, but I thought Martins worked hard, Viduka on the other hand did fuck all other than his goal.

I just don't see what people see in him, Jimbo. If he's not doing the spectacular then he's fucking rubbish imo. And he doesn't do the spectacular often enough to make him worth the bother when he can't handle the basics.

If we're gonna get Owen back to 100%, he needs games, not 20 minutes here and there. And let's face it, Martins is fuck all use, so we may as well start starting games with Owen imo.

Agreed about Owen, but I thought Martins worked hard, Viduka on the other hand did fuck all other than his goal.

I just don't see what people see in him, Jimbo. If he's not doing the spectacular then he's fucking rubbish imo. And he doesn't do the spectacular often enough to make him worth the bother when he can't handle the basics.

Works hard, strong, fast great leap and hes not going to score too many goals in his wide position, hes a striker and its where he should be playing. Martins has a very poor touch which is quite clear but he still is a class act.

Works hard, strong, fast great leap and hes not going to score too many goals in his wide position, hes a striker and its where he should be playing. Martins has a very poor touch which is quite clear but he still is a class act.

Strong, fast, good leap, combined with a total fucking inability to control a football, and a complete lack of a football brain. Sounds like he should have taken up the long jump.

anyone else notive how chuffed mort and ashley were when charlie scored our first? That was pretty reaauring as well as whilst I understand they're not really newcastle fans its good to see they arwe being bitten by the geordie bug!

Seriously, how is that clear?

Strong, fast, good leap, combined with a total fucking inability to control a football, and a complete lack of a football brain. Sounds like he should have taken up the long jump.

He passed the ball well today and worked hard for the team. Would take him over Alan fucking Smith up front any day of the week. He gets such a harsh treatment on here considering how well he did last year given the dire circumstances in which he had to perform. I still think he has it in him to do well as a wide forward in a 4-3-3.

To be honest, I'm not saying drop Martins or anything and Owen hasn't done enough yet to earn a start but it isn't clear he's a class act.

Thought Taylor was a bit in the middle again today btw. Definitely at fault for the first goal, even if it might have been just off-side. Think it might be a blessing Carr and Ramage getting injured if it sees Taylor playing RB and Cacapa playing in the middle. He looked good when he came on.

He passed the ball well today and worked hard for the team. Would take him over Alan fucking Smith up front any day of the week. He gets such a harsh treatment on here considering how well he did last year given the dire circumstances in which he had to perform. I still think he has it in him to do well as a wide forward in a 4-3-3.

He "did well" last season in the sense that he scored more goals than we all expected. But on a match to match basis he was shit an awful lot of the time.

He didn't do that well last year. It's a total myth. He did ok. I know 17 goals etc. He was about joint 11th highest scorer in the league. Not bad for a first season in a struggling team. Nothing special either though. And at times he was shocking. By no means the only one, obviously.

To be honest, I'm not saying drop Martins or anything and Owen hasn't done enough yet to earn a start but it isn't clear he's a class act.

Thought Taylor was a bit in the middle again today btw. Definitely at fault for the first goal, even if it might have been just off-side. Think it might be a blessing Carr and Ramage getting injured if it sees Taylor playing RB and Cacapa playing in the middle. He looked good when he came on.

He didn't do well for the goal but for the rest of the game I thought he was very good, seemed to get in the way of a lot.

He didn't do well for the goal but for the rest of the game I thought he was very good, seemed to get in the way of a lot.

I meant a bit dodgy btw. Dunno, I'm just never convinced by him.