Middlesbrough v Newcastle: Match Thread

Besty

I thought Martins put in a good shift today, Viduka on the otherhand did jack-shit other than score.

I'd rather have a striker who can be quiet all game and then score a classy goal than a player who runs around a lot but not much else.

Given the choice, only a fool would disagree, but in my opinion Martins did the next best thing to scoring, he worked his arse off, with no service he went looking for the ball himself but people still find room to slag him off.

Viduka scored and you're slagging him off.

Other than his goal I thought his effort and contribution was near zero, so yes I am.

As I said before, I don't think any of the strikers deserve praise from the match, I just don't get the vitriol aimed at Martins, who in my opinion worked the hardest out of all of them.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Martins put in a good shift today, Viduka on the otherhand did jack-shit other than score.

I'd rather have a striker who can be quiet all game and then score a classy goal than a player who runs around a lot but not much else.

I seem to remember Martins getting slagged off for that too last season tbh.

Martins, Viduka and Owen have done nothing so far this season and they've all been poor however we all know that all three will score goals if the chances are created for them, the problem we have at thew moment is that Allardyce is trying to turn us into the new Bolton which isn't going to work, Viduka isn't Kevin Davies and doesn't do well with having 50 yard balls pumped at him all game, Martins and Owen need someone to work off and not be starting from out wide, on top of that the midfield is a shambles with zero creativity and as productive as the Butt/Parker partnership we had last season.

I can't see the point in picking out any of our attackers for criticism when they've got no service to work with, there's usually a 30 yard gap between midfield and attack and it needs closing quickly.

We need Barton fit. Or even Emre but he needs to (forced if thats what it takes) play further up the field and not so deep. With the tactics we are using at the moment he should be able to do this though.

Well I'm at it I've got to say how impressed I was with Cacapa, I don't remember ever seeing him play for Lyon but he really looked top drawer, him and Rozenhal together for the next few games IMO as Taylor has been caught out twice in the last 2 games and is still prone to dropping a bollock.

Rozenhal is looking like a good signing too although he isn't fully committed to some tackles, a few times he's left his leg hanging instead of trying to win the ball but apart from that his distribution and willingness to bring the ball out from the back is impressive.

Well I'm at it I've got to say how impressed I was with Cacapa, I don't remember ever seeing him play for Lyon but he really looked top drawer, him and Rozenhal together for the next few games IMO as Taylor has been caught out twice in the last 2 games and is still prone to dropping a bollock.

Rozenhal is looking like a good signing too although he isn't fully committed to some tackles, a few times he's left his leg hanging instead of trying to win the ball but apart from that his distribution and willingness to bring the ball out from the back is impressive.

Agreed, Cacapa and Rozenhal are just what the club have been missing.

Mido's goal aside, the other 3 goals were top drawer you have to say.

As for Mido, how pathetic, you score your first goal at home in front of your new crowd and what do you do? You ignore them and goad the away fans for a few minutes. What a wanker. Having said that, he realised straight away that Ramage was seriously knackered and told his teamates to stop play. Still, he's a wanker all the same.

Mido's goal aside, the other 3 goals were top drawer you have to say.

As for Mido, how pathetic, you score your first goal at home in front of your new crowd and what do you do? You ignore them and goad the away fans for a few minutes. What a wanker. Having said that, he realised straight away that Ramage was seriously knackered and told his teamates to stop play. Still, he's a wanker all the same.

To be fair he just ran to the only part in the stadium where he wouldn't be celebrating in front of empty seats.