Mocking people's beliefs.

Kevin Carr's Gloves

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Science has revised many of its predictions/theories/top pics over the last decade....And it might still be wrong about the existence of a God.

Thats how it works by definition.... and Bollocks.

Aye by definition the null hypothesis is supposed to remove bias anyway, of course in practice it often doesn't, but the way things work pretty much does (people question the most accepted things, never mind the more out there ones).

It's like Darwin was massively "wrong" in much of what he thought about Evolution, but his genius wasn't in getting it 100% right, it was in putting the pieces together at all and producing a framework that does broadly hold up to this day.

And it might still be wrong about the existence of a God

Again science is pretty separate to the existence of God, there's no real evidence either way at the present. Although there probably is enough to be fairly certain of there being no need of a creator from just after the Universe came into being, through the creating of life, till today. But that's not really the same thing.

Can I mock this?

Clicky

Perhaps its just my warped brain but the icon used on that advert reminds me of something......

54b82tj2.jpg

The Jimbo (and me) equivlent of seeing the face of christ in a cheese toastie.

or a dogs arse

canyouseejesusof8.jpg

Science has revised many of its predictions/theories/top pics over the last decade....And it might still be wrong about the existence of a God.

I'm aware how science works but I am more intrigued and genuinely curious about the possible existence of a creator or unifying force. Man who lives by reason alone is a pretty boring man.

I'm aware how science works but I am more intrigued and genuinely curious about the possible existence of a creator or unifying force. Man who lives by reason alone is a pretty boring man.

Much better to belief in unreasonable things like ;) AIDs is not caused by HIV ;) if it makes you more interesting then?

Much better to belief in unreasonable things like ;) AIDs is not caused by HIV ;) if it makes you more interesting then?

What the fuck are you blabbering about?

I think he's trying to make out that all Christians believe that Aids is caused by God punishing people (or something). It's a Leazesmag tactic usually :D

I think he's trying to make out that all Christians believe that Aids is caused by God punishing people (or something). It's a Leazesmag tactic usually <_<

Do you think that is what he extrapolated from the last sentence of my post? :D

Edited by Parky

I think he's trying to make out that all Christians believe that Aids is caused by God punishing people (or something). It's a Leazesmag tactic usually <_<

Yep. God knows how though :blush:

Yep. God knows how though :blush:

Man who lives by reason alone is a pretty boring man.

Not at all, I was referring to the above and something Parky has said in the past, as he must well know, nothing whatsoever to do with Christians. My point being that Parky tends to believe conspiracy theories, at least partly I suspect because he thinks they're more interesting than common sense rational explanations. Because that makes a person boring, obviously, it would seem.

Tell me I'm wrong Parky and you have never said HIV does not cause AIDS? Or have you changed your mind?

I'm quite sure there was a massive flood - the exact story I'm not too sure about.

There was a possible flood of the black sea which became the subject of a Sumerian myth (Gilgamesh) - the jews simply ripped it off (as they did the concept of Satan and other thing).

As I said the point is do you want a God who would drown everyone even it is just metaphorical.

Can't really answer that question well sadly. Some of the stories such as that of Noah's Ark and the plagues in Egypt from the OT I ask many questions about. It doesn't make me doubt God, but merely question.

I think he's trying to make out that all Christians believe that Aids is caused by God punishing people (or something). It's a Leazesmag tactic usually :victory:

Yep. God knows how though :yahoo:

Man who lives by reason alone is a pretty boring man.

Not at all, I was referring to the above and something Parky has said in the past, as he must well know, nothing whatsoever to do with Christians. My point being that Parky tends to believe conspiracy theories, at least partly I suspect because he thinks they're more interesting than common sense rational explanations. Because that makes a person boring, obviously, it would seem.

Tell me I'm wrong Parky and you have never said HIV does not cause AIDS? Or have you changed your mind?

I might have read summat in a magazine, then come on here and taken a strong stance to start a debate yes. I't s what makes these boards interesting..(sometimes). That must have been a a fair few months ago? <_<

If you're asking me if I think HIV causes aids I'd say most probably.

My initital point about reason still stands however you've chosen to misconstrue it to your evil ends Renton. :blush:

I might have read summat in a magazine, then come on here and taken a strong stance to start a debate yes. I't s what makes these boards interesting..(sometimes). That must have been a a fair few months ago? ;)

My initital point about reason still stands however you've chosen to misconstrue it to your evil ends Renton. ;)

Sincere apologies, didn't mean to drag up old discussions. Well I did but I shouldn't have. :D

I do think we disagree though. At the end of the day I'm not sure humans have any other means than pure reason to understand the world we live in. And I'm not sure there is any other method of reason than using objective, iterative, empiricism. Boring or not I just think that's the truth. But in fact, it isn't boring at all, far from it.

I might have read summat in a magazine, then come on here and taken a strong stance to start a debate yes. I't s what makes these boards interesting..(sometimes). That must have been a a fair few months ago? ;)

My initital point about reason still stands however you've chosen to misconstrue it to your evil ends Renton. ;)

Sincere apologies, didn't mean to drag up old discussions. Well I did but I shouldn't have. :D

I do think we disagree though. At the end of the day I'm not sure humans have any other means than pure reason to understand the world we live in. And I'm not sure there is any other method of reason than using objective, iterative, empiricism. Boring or not I just think that's the truth. But in fact, it isn't boring at all, far from it.

Fair enough. I on the other hand got nowhere with reason and gave it up as a bad lot in my teens. <_<

I'm quite sure there was a massive flood - the exact story I'm not too sure about.

There was a possible flood of the black sea which became the subject of a Sumerian myth (Gilgamesh) - the jews simply ripped it off (as they did the concept of Satan and other thing).

As I said the point is do you want a God who would drown everyone even it is just metaphorical.

Can't really answer that question well sadly. Some of the stories such as that of Noah's Ark and the plagues in Egypt from the OT I ask many questions about. It doesn't make me doubt God, but merely question.

I think that's why the term "personal god" has become more popular in recent times - I think people have come to realise that some questions they have about the "traditional" God means that they can't accept him as defined in the bible or whatever so they define their own.

I think that's all well and good and if everyone who did this kept it to themselves it would be fine but its the organisation that I think is the problem - with all the politicisation and power trips that go with it.

As I've said I do think that these beliefs are irrational but being honest its more the churches and their power and how that does or may affect me and other people that I object to.

every one should chill a little banter / piss take is part of life as long as its in "good humour" people should take it that way

wot gets me going is how PC the government is trying to be about things , bend over backwards for a minority that claims they have been called ******* yet if its the other way round its ok! imagine if you said you wanted a school to be all christian or all white there would be war on.

im not racist i just think the rules shoud be for all or none ! seems to be dependant on colour or ability !

everyone should respect everyone period !

and have a sense of humour ;) although for some there is no hope tee hee

• 5 months later...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-...sex-792761.html

In the late stages of the Second World War, Evelyn Waugh was trapped in Europe in the company of Randolph Churchill, the boorish son of the wartime prime minister. "In the hope of keeping him quiet," he wrote to Nancy Mitford, "Freddie and I bet him £20 that he cannot read the whole Bible in a fortnight. Unhappily it has not had the result we hoped. He has never read any of it before and is hideously excited; keeps reading quotations aloud... or merely slapping his side & chortling 'God, isn't God a shit!'."

:lol: