Jump to content

Allardyce hints at signings


Recommended Posts

Sam Allardyce admits he could face a hectic time in the closing stages of the transfer window.

 

The Newcastle manager saw two of his defenders, Stephen Carr and Peter Ramage, collect injuries in Sunday's 2-2 draw with Middlesbrough and Allardyce could be looking to bring in cover.

 

Carr limped out of the first-half with a hamstring problem, while Ramage, who replaced Carr, was stretchered off after landing awkwardly on his knee during a challenge with Mido and is believed to have sustained ligament damage.

 

Allardyce has previously stated that his squad was lacking defensive strength in depth and the new injury problems may now make new signings a priority.

 

"Stephen Carr has a hamstring injury and Peter Ramage looks more serious," Allardyce told Newcastle's official website.

 

"I'll have to be busy next week to cover that."

 

 

Glen Johnson, anyone?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam Allardyce has confirmed he is looking to add two players to his Newcastle United squad before the close of the transfer window.

 

 

After losing Stephen Carr and Peter Ramage to injury against Middlesbrough on Sunday, Allardyce is aiming to bolster his defence.

 

The Newcastle boss is pressing on with plans to recruit two players and has alternative options if he is unable to land his prime targets.

 

Bolton Wanderers stopper Abdoulaye Faye is believed to be one of the players in question, while Chelsea full-back Glen Johnson has also been linked.

 

"We are pursuing two targets at this particular moment, and outside of that, if they don't work there's another couple we can move to very quickly," said Allardyce on Sky Sports News.

 

"We'll have to just see where we get with them from the point of view, will the club sell them, what will they sell them for and can we sort the player out financially?

 

"Then, there's the medical that needs to be done really quickly in the next 24, 48 hours to give ourselves enough time before the closing of the window.

 

 

No Martins offers

 

"So, hopefully, at least one player will arrive by Friday and hopefully two."

 

Allardyce also revealed the club have received no bids during the summer for Obafemi Martins, who has a £13million get-out clause in his contract.

 

Of Martins, the Magpies manager said: "There's no welcome bidders for his services.

 

"There hasn't been a bid of any sort since I arrived in this job in the summer.

 

"There has been lots of speculation in the papers on a week-to-week basis and we can't seem to get past that.

 

"Certainly by next week there'll be nobody writing about it anymore because the window will have shut."

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would guess I'm not alone in thinking that it could possibly have been XXXL Sam himself who spread the word about the buy-out clauses? As an attempt to get a few bob in, in order to buy his choice of strikers? I guess we'll never know. The last bit about Oba seems to be saying, 'Hey, if you want Martins you had better hurry!'

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...