Mido slams Newcastle drunks

Jimbo

Mido has branded fans who chanted that he was carrying a bomb "ridiculous" and "drunk".

The Egyptian striker was livid when Newcastle fans sang "Mido, he's got a bomb, Mido" in a reference to his Arab Muslim background. They also chanted "Mido is a paedo" to wind him up during the Tyne-Tees derby on Sunday.

The 24-year-old was booked by ref Mike Dean for gestures Newcastle fans say included several V-signs to the away end, with officials saying the player had jeopardised "security".

Mido (right) is becoming a cult hero among Boro fans for his all-action battling displays since signing for £6million a fortnight ago.

Advertisement

He said: "I am used to it from opposition fans. I just think it was ridiculous. They were taking the p***. Maybe some of them were drunk or something, I don't know.

"But how should you react? It made me want to score more goals. I was very delighted to have scored once and I wanted another. But I heard it. It was very clear and I understood what they were saying.

"When the ref gave me a yellow card I was really frustrated. I just don't understand why I got booked. I was told it was for security reasons but I don't see how that is possible. I just put my finger to my mouth to say quiet.

"I don't think I deserved a booking but that is football I suppose and you just have to get on with it."

Mido reckons Gareth Southgate's squad are ready to prove the doubters wrong this season, and they showed some bright attacking play to scrap back level twice against their Geordie rivals.

He added: "We have so much quality. We have a lot of young players who are hungry and desperate to do well.

"The fact that we came back twice shows a lot of character and underlines where this club is going.

"The crowd have been fantastic to me and the staff, and I feel really settled.

"It was an amazing reception from the home fans, I really appreciated it. The fans do appreciate players who fight and they see that I am fighting for the club."

FA to look at Mido abuse

The Football Association has confirmed they will be looking into possible racial abuse directed at Middlesbrough's Mido, during the Tees-Tyne derby on Sunday at The Riverside.

Newcastle fans subjected the Egyptian to a torrent of abuse during the 2-2 draw, and it is now claimed that some chants were Islamophobic.

"We will certainly be looking into it," an FA spokesman told the Guardian.

Both Mido and Gareth Southgate have reacted angrily to referee Mike Dean's decision to book the striker after he celebrated in front of the visiting fans after he scored

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2690420,00.html

FA chiefs probe Mido abuse

FA chiefs have confirmed they will be looking into possible racial abuse directed at Middlesbrough's Mido during Sunday's Tees-Tyne derby.

Newcastle fans subjected the Egyptian to a torrent of abuse during the 2-2 draw, and it is now claimed that some chants were Islamophobic.

"We will certainly be looking into it," an FA spokesman told the Guardian.

Both Mido and Gareth Southgate have reacted angrily to referee Mike Dean's decision to book the striker after he celebrated in front of the visiting fans after he scored.

"I find it strange that 3,000 people can abuse one person and nothing is done," said Southgate. "On the other hand when the boot is on the other foot, it gets him into trouble.

"In terms of civil liberties I find that strange. We had to calm Mido down at the end of the first half."

Mido was also at a loss to understand his yellow card.

"I was very frustrated when the referee gave me a booking," he said. "I don't think I deserved a yellow card but that is football, I suppose, and you have to get on with it.

"I don't understand why I was booked, though. I'm told it was for security reasons but I don't see how that is possible. I don't see why what I did affected the security of the fans. I just put my finger to my mouth to say 'quiet'."

Mido himself admitted he was angered by the chants, saying "I heard it; it was clear and I could understand what they were saying.

"I'm used to it from opposition fans but I just think this was ridiculous.

"I don't know why they do it. I just think they were maybe taking the p*** and maybe some of them were drunk or something, I just don't know. It made me want to score goals. I was very delighted to score once and wanted another."

"I don't understand why I was booked, though. I'm told it was for security reasons but I don't see how that is possible. I don't see why what I did affected the security of the fans. I just put my finger to my mouth to say 'quiet'."

Would it be in bad taste? :mellow:

No, i'll not

Edited by Skol

Mido just said they were drunk and daft, basically. From his quotes, he doesn't sound particularly angry about it. If anything he's pissed off about getting booked.

Other people are getting offended on his behalf.

There's some other quotes that seem to be missed out from that first source.

One where he was directly asked if he was offended by what he heard:

"Well, I don't know. I think they were just taking the mickey. Maybe some of them were drunk or something. I don't know."

Which hardly sounds like he was "offended" by the issue, annoyed perhaps, spurred on certainly. By crying to teacher? Nope.

In fact rightly so he's more pissed off about getting a yellow card. :razz:

Another think that made me laugh is some journalists in an effort to be a PC as humanly possible have referred to him as "said the African" which frankly is beginning to take the piss.

As technically yes he is "african", but in reality there's a sub-saharan divide and anyone from Egypt would usually be referred to as "Egyptian" or even "middle-eastern" unless the PC brigade were out in FULL moralistic force. :mellow:

Mido just said they were drunk and daft, basically. From his quotes, he doesn't sound particularly angry about it. If anything he's pissed off about getting booked.

"Well, I don't know. I think they were just taking the mickey. Maybe some of them were drunk or something. I don't know."

Which hardly sounds like he was "offended" by the issue, annoyed perhaps, spurred on certainly. By crying to teacher? Nope.

Another think that made me laugh is some journalists in an effort to be a PC as humanly possible have referred to him as "said the African" which frankly is beginning to take the piss.

As technically yes he is "african", but in reality there's a sub-saharan divide and anyone from Egypt would usually be referred to as "Egyptian" or even "middle-eastern" unless the PC brigade were out in FULL moralistic force. :mellow:

Political Correctness = thought control.

I bet that's written on your pencil case.

In fact rightly so he's more pissed off about getting a yellow card. :blush:

As technically yes he is "african", but in reality there's a sub-saharan divide and anyone from Egypt would usually be referred to as "Egyptian" or even "middle-eastern" unless the PC brigade were out in FULL moralistic force. :razz:

I bet that's written on your pencil case.

I dont have a pencil case.

They aren't PC enough :mellow:

Free the pencils!

Edited by T-Keith

So Mido says he's used to it from opposing fans, eh? Perhaps, then, he can tell the FA which opposing fans he means - just so it's not only us that are condemned (as the media shites would like).

This could well spawn a thousand and more ditties throughout football e.g. 'Mido's not a terrorist, gets abuse then gets really pissed [off, as in the American way]. Or 'Mido is really safe, and has got a lovely face'. You know the type of piss-take songs I mean, that no-one can do fuck all about and the press get really annoyed at.

Edited by snakehips

The problem is that there is clear ground between "the PC brigade gone mad" (© Richard Littlejohn) and genuine debate as to what is and isn't acceptable as times and attitudes change. We've all heard older people I'm sure use words that we wouldn't, to describe people of ethnic origin and we've probably felt some were racist and others were just using the words they'd grown up with.

The fact is, that "what" is considered to be offensive CAN NOT be decided by those throwing the insult. If we say something either individually or as a portion of a crowd and that person is offended, it is their right to express their feelings.

The argument that "it's part of the game", or "they're paid enough, they should bloody deal with it" is not acceptable and wouldn't be acceptable in any other place of work.

I do agree that there are more than likely some pretty unpleasant journos trying to stir up trouble, but that doesn't detract from the bigger picture of our duty to behave in an acceptable way when we attend a public event.

The problem is that there is clear ground between "the PC brigade gone mad" (© Richard Littlejohn) and genuine debate as to what is and isn't acceptable as times and attitudes change. We've all heard older people I'm sure use words that we wouldn't, to describe people of ethnic origin and we've probably felt some were racist and others were just using the words they'd grown up with.

The fact is, that "what" is considered to be offensive CAN NOT be decided by those throwing the insult. If we say something either individually or as a portion of a crowd and that person is offended, it is their right to express their feelings.

The argument that "it's part of the game", or "they're paid enough, they should bloody deal with it" is not acceptable and wouldn't be acceptable in any other place of work.

I do agree that there are more than likely some pretty unpleasant journos trying to stir up trouble, but that doesn't detract from the bigger picture of our duty to behave in an acceptable way when we attend a public event.

Some moron will ALWAYS get "offended" at something (or at the very least fake "outrage" to further another agenda as this case so clearly shows).

That's a physical law of the universe. :mellow:

And IF you live or worse govern by that rule then basically EVERYTHING has to be BANNED.

And frankly then you live in a society that about as "free" as any of the classic bogeymen societies of yesteryear.

Because you can created a repressive, non-free and frankly unjust society just as easily that way, as in the end telling people what they can and cannot do/think/say/believe ends up the same regardless of the intention.

Some moron will ALWAYS get "offended" at something (or at the very least fake "outrage" to further another agenda as this case so clearly shows).

I agree but that argument always gets trotted out as a defence from those who wish to continue doing what they are doing. I don't think Mido is faking outrage by not wishing to be compared to a suicide bomber to be fair.

I agree but that argument always gets trotted out as a defence from those who wish to continue doing what they are doing.

Such as living in a free and mostly non-oppressive country?

I don't think Mido is faking outrage by not wishing to be compared to a suicide bomber to be fair.

Er... if you read what he has SAID he's not "outraged" at all, just a lot of journalist being faux-"outraged" on "his" and "our" (so "everyones" I guess) behalf.

I agree but that argument always gets trotted out as a defence from those who wish to continue doing what they are doing.

Such as living in a free and mostly non-oppressive country?

I don't think Mido is faking outrage by not wishing to be compared to a suicide bomber to be fair.

Er... if you read what he has SAID he's not "outraged" at all, just a lot of journalist being faux-"outraged" on "his" and "our" (so "everyones" I guess) behalf.

I said he's entitled to not be called a suicide bomber. You seem to think if we stop being allowed to say it that then we'll forego all civil liberties and be living under the equivalent of Sharia law, I simply disagree. There are shades of grey in a democracy for very good reason - we just differ on which side of the line this particular incident is on.