Sam hopes to sign Faye and Beye

Sever07

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce admits he is still trying to sign Bolton's Abdoulaye Faye, while Chelsea's Glen Johnson is another Magpies target.

Allardyce is hoping to make two further additions to his squad before Friday's transfer deadline.

He has been linked with England right-back Johnson, 23, who spent last season on loan at Portsmouth and could surplus to requirements at Stamford Bridge.

However, the Toon boss is first hoping to clinch a £2million swoop for Faye within the next 24 hours.

Asked about Faye, Allardyce said: "I hope maybe it will be finalised within the next 24 hours, but I am not so sure.

"Because it has gone on so long, I really just don't know where it lies at the moment.

"We are pursuing two targets at this particular moment and outside of that, if they do not work, there are another couple that we can move to very quickly.

"Hopefully, at least one player will arrive by Friday, and hopefully two

Edited by Scottish Mag

Glen Johnson was a laughing stock on these boards last year. Kicked out of the under21s for his shit attitude, Bramble esqe mistakes on a weekly basis. We could do without

he's still got to be better than carr, ramage huntingdon etc.

apparently he did pretty well for pompey last season.

Glen Johnson was a laughing stock on these boards last year. Kicked out of the under21s for his shit attitude, Bramble esqe mistakes on a weekly basis. We could do without

Last year? No, he was very good for Pompy. The year before and you may have a point :mellow:

At least we know Faye is comfortable with the long ball shite Allardyce has had us playing...

Johnson isn't as bad as some make out, with the right coaching he could still become a decent player.

At least we know Faye is comfortable with the long ball shite Allardyce has had us playing...

Johnson isn't as bad as some make out, with the right coaching he could still become a decent player.

Thats what they kept saying about Bramble.

faye will br good for newcastle he is strong and wil him a rozhanl will be good

an johnson will be got 2 he is young and much much better then carr i was buzzing when he got injure he is shit

They still say the same about Steven Taylor now, in fact I'd say Johnson has been better than Taylor over the past 12 months from what I've seen of them.

They still say the same about Steven Taylor now, in fact I'd say Johnson has been better than Taylor over the past 12 months from what I've seen of them.

i wouldnt' but thats your opinion. :mellow:

Marseille have confirmed that captain Habib Beye is set to join Newcastle United.

The Senegalese international has been a long-term target of manager Sam Allardyce and he finally looks to have sealed a deal for him.

Beye insisted earlier this summer he was happy to stay at the Stade Velodrome, but he has now accepted the overtures from St James' Park.

Marseille chairman Pape Diouf has confirmed that the club had accepted Beye's request to let him move to Newcastle.

"We are looking to reach an agreement between the two clubs," said Diouf.

"Something should be done within the next 24 hours, it should definitely be done."

Diouf admitted it was tough to see his captain leaving.

"Habib has been with us for four years, he had said he wanted to leave - but he remained with us," he continued.

"However, he has now chosen to accept the offer of Newcastle - once it was put to him."

Allardyce stepped up his interest in Beye - who is most at home at right-back - following injuries to Stephen Carr and Peter Ramage at the weekend.

Newcastle hope to confirm the signing of both Beye and Bolton's Abdoulaye Faye in the next 48 hours

So Martins, Beye, Geremi and if we sign Faye all away in January?

Our squad has quite a bit of depth now so it shouldn't be too bad, as long as we don't have injuries at the time anyway.

we could still do with someone attack minded in midfield. Our defence looks fine but we dont look too clever going forward at the minute. Its almost as if we have 4 defenders, 3 sweepers and 3 strikers with nothing in between.

we could still do with someone attack minded in midfield. Our defence looks fine but we dont look too clever going forward at the minute. Its almost as if we have 4 defenders, 3 sweepers and 3 strikers with nothing in between.

I am sure when Emre and Barton come back they will add a little more of an attacking dimension to our play.

N'Zogbia's been something else at left back so if we don't get a creative midfielder in i'd love to see him in that role.

what about nzogbia, barton, duff, emre or milner?

what about nzogbia, barton, duff, emre or milner?

I worry that there won't be an attacking midfield signing because the style of play we seem to be employing relies more and more on the long ball.

BUT if we are to play the ball on the deck we have at our disposal; Smith, Emre, N'Zogbia, Barton, Barton (ish), Milner.

Now unfortunately not one of those have the invention nor vision of, say, Scholes. I reckon another midfield signing would be a good thing, if he were young, and showed promise in an area that is (to all intents and purposes) a luxury for our team. By that I mean, is it not a priority to fortify our defence, then build upon a strong forward line and resolute back line by adding guile and creativity to our midfield, next season?