Newcastle United vs Barnsley FC

Tom

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what the circumstances of our playing Barnsley might be, to me this fixture always evokes memories of being 3-0 down at half time at a rain soaked Oakwell, watching Wayne Fereday literally run into touch with the ball at his feet like a complete mong, without being under any pressure from an opposing player. Now there was a player!

Fereday.

QPRnet.com: You eventually left QPR for Newcastle, was Jim Smith a big part in the decision for you?

WF: It was the biggest mistake I could have ever made and my career was never the same after that. At the time Trevor Francis was the manager and he was struggling for a left back and I was filling in. I did OK, luckily I had my pace to get me out of trouble but I was never a defender. I’d always had a good relationship with the fans over the years at QPR but I remember this one game against Man United. I was playing left back again and Russell Beardsmore was twisting me inside and out and giving me a bit of a time and I could hear some fans were unhappy which was a shame.

Towards the end of that season Trevor called me and said I wasn’t doing as well as he hoped and he needed a proper left back. He wanted to sign Kenny Samson from Newcastle and I was needed to be the makeweight in the deal. Really I should have just said no, I loved the club and I should have stayed and fought for a place but he made it clear he didn’t want me and wouldn’t use me so I felt forced to go.

Obviously Jim being there was a massive factor in the decision for me, having had so much respect for him when he was at QPR but Newcastle seemed like a world away. No disrespect to Rangers but they were a small family orientated club and the pressure at Newcastle was something else entirely. Things started OK, funnily enough I ended up in the same situation for my first game as our left back got injured and I ended up filling in for him. I did OK and we won the game but over my time there I didn’t play well in fairness. The Newcastle fans either love you or hate you, there’s no in-between and I think I let them get to me. In the end Jim pulled me in and said it wasn’t working out and that was that.

QPR.net

I cant find any feeds and www.nufc.com claims its not on any TV and doesnt give any radio information,

I cant find owt on BBC Radio Newcastle, Magic 1152 or Metro Either :mellow:

Ah right so long as i can get it online.

I dont have an analog radio :razz:

and as a student i cant really afford to actually go even though its a measley £15, i could afford that when i was 13 doing paper rounds :mellow:

It'll be on BBC Newcastle (Either the FM of the MW version, if not both). The website is shite for listings.

Confirmed.

Cant wait to see enrique in a toon shirt :mellow:

It'll be on BBC Newcastle (Either the FM of the MW version, if not both). The website is shite for listings.

Confirmed.

Cant wait to see enrique in a toon shirt :razz:

That's some advanced radio you've got. :mellow:

Confirmed.

Cant wait to see enrique in a toon shirt :razz:

That's some advanced radio you've got. :mellow:

Ye nar wot i meen man!

TEAMS

NUFC: Shay Given, Nobby Solano, Jose Enrique, Steven Taylor, Cacapa, Charles N'Zogbia, Geremi, Alan Smith, Emre, Michael Owen, Shola Ameobi

Subs: Steve Harper, Oba Martins, Nicky Butt, David Edgar, Paul Huntington

BFC: Heinz Muller, Lewin Nyatanga, Robert Kozluk, Sam Togwell, Miguel Mostto, Grant McCann, Rohan Ricketts, Dennis Souza, Martin Devaney, Dwayne Mattis, Dominik Werling

Subs: Nick Colgan, Robert Atkinson, Kim Christensen, Michael Coulson, Jacob Butterfield