Jeff Winter - Ban The Brown Ale-Addled Geordies

Scottish Mag

I don't know if you noticed the lack of coaches, vans and cars from Tyneside last Sunday, but instead a blue tardis parked behind the South Stand.

Yes, those Geordies all traveled Dr Who style to the Riverside. The thinking is that those 'magnificent' fans, weary of 40 trophyless years, have decided to travel back in time to the glory years when the FA Cup came to Tyneside and they were a really big club.

This was their first trip and as you would expect there were some teething troubles. In travelling back they inherited some of the problems of those earlier years, you know, like racist behaviour and other childish goings-on.

Remember when you were about six and you used to run around the schoolyard calling people names, usually in rhymes; well it was easy if the names were Bell which rhymed with Smell or Bob that rhymed with Knob but sometimes it was more difficult, for example Mido. That would really test even the most stupid Brown Ale-addled Geordie.

In those days Newcastle had a worse reputation than most when it came to black players. I even recall the Geordie faithful giving their own black players stick and it seemed for a time that they did not want to sign players who had the same skin colour as half of their famous striped shirts.

Thankfully, times have moved on now. We live in a multi-racial society where every colour and creed display their skills in the Premiership, but not for the space-travelling Geordies. Their behaviour on Sunday at once dispelled the myth that they are the loveable army but instead put them near the bottom of the 'Scumbag' fans league table. They are now on a par with those who sing about 'ice on runways' and the like.

Now don't get me wrong as not all fans from Newcastle are like this. They are loyal and deserving of more success, but 3,000 is not a small minority. Did the decent folk amongst the travelling support shout down the idiots who started their practised vitriol? Guilty by association then, I am afraid.

It will be very interesting to see what happens next. The silence from St James' is deafening. What action will the FA take? None probably.

A question for the Geordie dickheads. With Muslims like Emre in your side and with Big Sam's reputation for signing all colours and creeds, do you think players will want to come to a club whose supporters behave like this?

I have previously supported the call to give Newcastle fans the whole South Stand, sell the tickets and have a better atmosphere. It's not like we can sell them ourselves. But now; well perhaps next season we should ban the travelling support altogether? Let them take their tardis back into the dark ages where they belong.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8...2693032,00.html

I don't know if you noticed the lack of coaches, vans and cars from Tyneside last Sunday, but instead a blue tardis parked behind the South Stand.

Yes, those Geordies all traveled Dr Who style to the Riverside. The thinking is that those 'magnificent' fans, weary of 40 trophyless years, have decided to travel back in time to the glory years when the FA Cup came to Tyneside and they were a really big club.

This was their first trip and as you would expect there were some teething troubles. In travelling back they inherited some of the problems of those earlier years, you know, like racist behaviour and other childish goings-on.

Remember when you were about six and you used to run around the schoolyard calling people names, usually in rhymes; well it was easy if the names were Bell which rhymed with Smell or Bob that rhymed with Knob but sometimes it was more difficult, for example Mido. That would really test even the most stupid Brown Ale-addled Geordie.

In those days Newcastle had a worse reputation than most when it came to black players. I even recall the Geordie faithful giving their own black players stick and it seemed for a time that they did not want to sign players who had the same skin colour as half of their famous striped shirts.

Thankfully, times have moved on now. We live in a multi-racial society where every colour and creed display their skills in the Premiership, but not for the space-travelling Geordies. Their behaviour on Sunday at once dispelled the myth that they are the loveable army but instead put them near the bottom of the 'Scumbag' fans league table. They are now on a par with those who sing about 'ice on runways' and the like.

Now don't get me wrong as not all fans from Newcastle are like this. They are loyal and deserving of more success, but 3,000 is not a small minority. Did the decent folk amongst the travelling support shout down the idiots who started their practised vitriol? Guilty by association then, I am afraid.

It will be very interesting to see what happens next. The silence from St James' is deafening. What action will the FA take? None probably.

A question for the Geordie dickheads. With Muslims like Emre in your side and with Big Sam's reputation for signing all colours and creeds, do you think players will want to come to a club whose supporters behave like this?

I have previously supported the call to give Newcastle fans the whole South Stand, sell the tickets and have a better atmosphere. It's not like we can sell them ourselves. But now; well perhaps next season we should ban the travelling support altogether? Let them take their tardis back into the dark ages where they belong.

This from a man who as an official cancelled a game between Boro and NUFC because Boro's team wasn't fit.

I think I hear the wheels of a distant bandwagon begin to roll down south and the media guttersnipes have got their seats pre-booked in the comfy end - this is the kind of sensationalist, stereotypic geordiophobia that would only eminate from those parts - jump on its a free for all - ignore the fattist chants at viduka the tumorist chants at Roeder etc. And how the fuck can that put us on a par with fans who chant about deaths and disasters?

Thanks pal but i would rather take the tardis than a bandwagon - oh and for your information the Robledo brothers weren't bleached white but that didn't stop them gettin hero worshipped more than forty years ago - you knob

I can see this gettin blown out of all proportion and the fa doin something silly

Are all Muslims guilty by association if they don't "shout down" Al Qaeda sympathisers?

Idiot.

I think I hear the wheels of a distant bandwagon begin to roll down south and the media guttersnipes have got their seats pre-booked in the comfy end - this is the kind of sensationalist, stereotypic geordiophobia that would only eminate from those parts - jump on its a free for all - ignore the fattist chants at viduka the tumorist chants at Roeder etc. And how the fuck can that put us on a par with fans who chant about deaths and disasters?

Thanks pal but i would rather take the tardis than a bandwagon - oh and for your information the Robledo brothers weren't bleached white but that didn't stop them gettin hero worshipped more than forty years ago - you knob

I can see this gettin blown out of all proportion and the fa doin something silly

It's got fuck all to do with north and south. It's about crap journalism.

The whole things pathetic. Numerous chants get shouted across the country that go close to the bone. Why the sudden uproar? Perhaps because the guy is a Muslim? What about chants said about people being Gay/Ugly/RC/On Drugs/Thief/Scottish/Welsh/etc? Was the chant clever or funny? No not really. Is it any worse that what is said across the country every week? No. Doesnt make it right, but doesnt call for each "do gooder" to jump to conclusions and bash our away support with the PC stick. Wankers.

This article has really boiled my piss to be frank.

These chants happen in every ground in every league in every country on the planet.

Its called football terrace banter and like many have said before it can be close to the bone and not erveryones cup of tea

but this kind of stuff has being going on for years and will continue to do so.

Take a listern to the chants in the Glasgow derbys, Manchester / Liverpool, Tottingham / Arsenal

Ours has only hit the headlines because of the new buzz work of Islamaphobic

We have Turkish fans showing actions of cutting their throats when they play English clubs for fucks sake

See the silence is astounding from our so called Journalists in the Chronicle and Journal

Fuck the lot of them

This from a man who as an official cancelled a game between Boro and NUFC because Boro's team wasn't fit.

How did he cancel it? He wasn't even allowed to ref a Boro game.

He was the ref consulted by the ""Safety committee"

A quick excerpt from his autobiography:

“I had mixed feelings. On the one hand I wanted to finish the game a little early and get off the pitch before people saw big tough Jeff Winter in tears. Then again, I didn’t want the game to end. Liverpool were 4-0 up, so it was in my hands. Nobody would care either way. In the end I played a little bit extra, waiting until play was at the Kop end, before sounding the final shrill blast — a bit like the Last Post. The fans behind the goal burst into spontaneous applause. It was longer and louder than normal, even for a big home win. Did they know it was my final visit? Was the applause for me? They are such knowledgeable football people, that it would not surprise me.”

A quick excerpt from his autobiography:

“I had mixed feelings. On the one hand I wanted to finish the game a little early and get off the pitch before people saw big tough Jeff Winter in tears. Then again, I didn’t want the game to end. Liverpool were 4-0 up, so it was in my hands. Nobody would care either way. In the end I played a little bit extra, waiting until play was at the Kop end, before sounding the final shrill blast — a bit like the Last Post. The fans behind the goal burst into spontaneous applause. It was longer and louder than normal, even for a big home win. Did they know it was my final visit? Was the applause for me? They are such knowledgeable football people, that it would not surprise me.”

Ha ha, that's seriously hilarious. :mellow:

I'm no Papa Lazaru when it comes to slagging off referees, but this guy is a total cock knocker. He represents everything bad a referee could; vain, egotistical, biased, and most of all, completely deluded. As well as being an ugly c**t it has to be said.