Big Sam's wheeling and dealing

Scottish Mag

If we do get Beye and Faye for the figures of around 2 million each with the sales of Dyer and Parker we have managed to purchase for around about a net spend of 11 million

Rozenhal

Cacapa

Enrique

Beye (?)

Faye (?)

Geremi

Barton

Smith

Viduka

Thats some pretty decent business. Whilst we have not looked great in creating etc from midfield so far hopefully Emre may be more comfortable in a 3 man midfield, I think Barton will make a big difference and if Sam can get Duff both fit and motivated he could be an important player in the 4-3-3 formation. Yes many will complain throughout the season about a lack of attacking flair from the side but it certainly looks like hes building from the back, something we have been crying out for.

With the current debt so high I am also impressed with the way we have dealt in the market without sending silly money especially with the talent and experience we have brought in. Just look at the mackems..

Gordon - 9

McShane - 2.5

Etuhu - 1.5

Richardson - 5.5

Chopra - 5

Anderson - 1

Halford - 3.5 (?)

Higginbotham - 3

Jones - 6

37 million for a team consisting of Championship and SPL players.

Whilst many were expecting to see us spend silly money its good to see the club being run professionally and building a decent squad whilst also looking at the bigger picture both off field and for the near future.

:mellow:

Edited by Scottish Mag

Guest Patrokles
They now have 9, maybe 10 players who can play upfront, if you include Roy O'Donovan, who cost £500k from Cork City. Absolute madness, not one of them is capable of getting 15+ goals!

Probably why they need so many.

While so far this season Ive often said we look like we need creativity in the midfield to create openings for the forwards, it has to be said that Sam has been working on making us difficult to beat. Well we're looking much much better at the back and he can tweak the rest moving forward. Ive certainly been impressed with his signings so far like. Was well impressed last night with Cacapa and Enrique.

he's mostly bought well - especially in sorting out the defence.

but i don't think spending £6m on smith was a particularly wise use of our budget. nor do i see the point in signing faye from bolton. we're well stocked for players that can play the midfield holding role - i'd sooner that money went on a more creative midfielder. if it did, i'd say we have our most balanced squad in years.

all in all though a vast improvement on last year's fiasco with last minute panic buys siberski and bernard.

Faye can play CD, and RB so it boosts the squad and gives up depth.

I know people are crying over getting a more attack minded player but I think Big Sam is trying to get us a sorted at the back first and Emre and Barton can play there along with Zoggy when Jose gets his match fitness up.

I'd say Faye is seen as a back up right back more than a midfielder to be honest. Although having these options is never going to be a bad thing.

I would have liked to have seen a creative, almost luxury, player brought in, but that's hardly Allardyce's style.

Sam doing what he does best, no doubt there will be the trophy signing mongs doing their OMG WE HAVNT SPENT £28M ON AN ATTAKING MIDFDLER!!1111ONEONE but I am very happy with this window.

I dunno he seems to be building up a good, balanced and reasonable strong squad (which is what we've needed for a season or two now), but equally we do still (again we've probably needed it for a season or two) need a quality attacking/playmaking midfielder (although it looks doubtful that we will get one this summer - unless Emre becomes the player he's supposed to be).

On the contrary Dr G, I think the signing of Smith is an inspired one. OK, he's not been effective every time he's played, but I think he was bought to deepen the squad as he can cover more than one base.

Gives the likes of Martins, Owen and Viduka something to think about too and hopefully results in them upping their game.

We look like a tight, solid unit at the back and it's something I haven't really witnessed in over 20 years of following this club.

In terms of sorting the squad out, I think he's performed a miracle and it makes the sorry effort of Glenn Roeder 12 months ago all the more laughable.

On the contrary Dr G, I think the signing of Smith is an inspired one. OK, he's not been effective every time he's played, but I think he was bought to deepen the squad as he can cover more than one base.

He hasn't been effective in much at all in competitive games this season imo.

He hasn't been effective in much at all in competitive games this season imo.

I agree with you on that one. He showed his worth against Sampdoria when he seemed to have a much more free role and was allowed to go on the attack.

from what i've seen of smith he doesn't actually know what his best position is.

It's not so much about him knowing his best position as the manager knowing where and how to play him and doing so on a consistent basis.

my problem with smith is that it seems he's been bought primarily as a midfielder. if everyone's fit he's probably going to be 4th or 5th choice striker and 3rd or 4th choice for centre mid - where he's largely ineffective imo. nowt wrong with signing good squad players but £6m on a player who probably won't start when everyone is fit isn't the most sensible use of our budget.

Considering this is Allardyce's first transfer window, I have no complaints.

To me, it makes sense to get the basics right first: sort the defence out; add some depth and versatility to the squad; give us a solid base and something to work on.

From September to January he can take stock of what we've got, have a better look at what Barton, Emre and Duff are capable of and go from there. If he decides flair & creativity are what needs to be added to the mix I expect he'll go out and get it.

Although he has a reputation for workman-like teams, don't forget that this is the man who brought Jay-Jay 'showboat' Okocha to the prem and rates Youri Djorkaeff as his best-ever signing. He's not adverse to a bit of flair.

Yes, Big Sam has done a hell of a job sorting the shambles he inherited out, and for a relatively small amount of money as well. As people have said he's building from the back and making us hard to beat, something we haven't been for god knows how long and with that will come games where we maybe don't create as much as we'd like.

It was only against Barnsley but i think Cacapa just looked pure class, in a different league to some players on the pitch and so calm and assured about everything he does. Also really liked the look of Enrique as well, both of them look like intelligent, talented footballers not something you would fit with our defenders in recent years!

I would like a real flair player bought in midfield, but as it stands with hopefully Beye and Faye to come in then Big Sam has done some excellent business for the club and will probably do more in January.

Edited by Papa Lazaru