Thursdays Football Gossip

Scottish Mag

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Abdoulaye Faye should finally be confirmed as a Newcastle United player today after the defender had a medical on Tyneside yesterday before attending the club’s Carling Cup match against Barnsley. Bolton Wanderers will receive in the region of £2 million for the Senegal defender. Newcastle are also closing in on Habib Beye, of Marseilles, Faye’s international teammate. (Times)

Newcastle United have expressed an interest in Juninho but Lyons have said that the former Brazil midfield player is not for sale. (Times)

Chelsea are trying to sign winger Ricardo Quaresma from manager Jose Mourinho's former club Porto. (The Sun)

An unhappy Dynamo Kiev president, Igor Surkis, wants to give Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko the chance of first-team football by signing him on loan. (The Sun)

Aston Villa have agreed a £9m deal for West Brom defender Curtis Davies with the move initially being on a season-long loan. (Various)

Derby have turned their attentions to Wigan striker Henri Camara after missing out on David Nugent. (Daily Mirror)

Sunderland's injury problems will lead them to sign midfielder Thomas Gravesen on loan from Celtic. (The Daily Star)

Sheffield United are planning a double raid on Bolton to land Ivan Campo and Stelios Giannakopoulos. (Various)

Portsmouth will try to sign Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe if they fail to lure Nicolas Anelka from Bolton. (Times)

But the race is on for Defoe as he is also wanted by Chelsea and Aston Villa. (Daily Telegraph)

Pompey are doing all they can to land a striker and have targeted Barcelona's Eidur Gudjohnsen. (Various)

OTHER GOSSIP

Manchester United striker Louis Saha may make a return to action in a reserve game against Everton on Thursday.

Shevchenko is doing double training sessions to get back up to full fitness and force his way into Chelsea's team. (Daily Star)

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone will buy a stake in QPR but has not ruled out attempting a takeover of Arsenal at a later date. (Times)

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney could return sooner than expected as he is already saying he wants to play. (Daily Mail)

Joe Cole had a row with Chelsea boss Mourinho over his lack of first-team football. (Daily Mail)

AND FINALLY

Arsenal want to trademark the word Gooner to use on their club merchandise. (Guardian)

There is more than one Juninho IIRC - is this the same bloke who said Teeside was his 'spiritual home'??

I also remember him finger-wagging up to Philippe Albert :lol:

Odd fella....

that was Dragutinovic I think, Beye was the one that didn't want to leave Marseille because he's captain and they are in champs league =) Looks like he's changed his mind

Yep you're right I think it was him now you mention the name. That's good from the position of the getting a (hopefully) good player and not being held to ransom then.

This is Juninho Pernambucano, he's 32 years old. Quality at set-pieces but that's all I know about him tbh.

was an excellent player is still very good, but not the quickest over the ground. and a little on the elderly side of things.

imho, one of the absolute best free kick takers i've ever seen.

This is Juninho Pernambucano, he's 32 years old. Quality at set-pieces but that's all I know about him tbh.

was an excellent player is still very good, but not the quickest over the ground. and a little on the elderly side of things.

imho, one of the absolute best free kick takers i've ever seen.

I dunno that pace is absolutely vital (be much better of course), just being able to join together defenders and attackers with something more than a hopeful hoof. :lol: