Russia ahead in Arctic 'gold rush'

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Look here dickhead. I will smash your face through a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Renton, for a nice seafood dinner and then never call her again!

You'll have to find her first, you dim-witted Lancashire twat!

Just reverse her orientation and he'll be completely fucking stumped.

So I'm looking for a Chinese lass what looks like Gordon Ramsay. Can't be too hard.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UK jets 'chase Russian bombers'

Norway says Russia has increased military flights in the Arctic

The UK's Royal Air Force has launched fighter jets to intercept eight Russian military planes flying in airspace patrolled by Nato, UK officials say.

Four RAF F3 Tornado aircraft were scrambled in response to the Russian action, the UK's defence ministry said.

The Russian planes - said to be long-range bombers - had earlier been followed by Norwegian F16 jets.

Russia recently revived a Cold War-era practice of flying bomber jets on long-range patrols.

A Norwegian officer, Lt Col John Inge Oegland, told the BBC the Russian Tupolev Tu-95 Bear bombers flew in international airspace from the Barents Sea to the Atlantic, before turning back.

Two Norwegian F-16s shadowed them on Thursday morning and another two went up later, he said.

There have been several similar incidents in recent months, Lt-Col Oegland added.

Lazarus' great grandad was navigator on the Titanic tbh.

Nee need for that like.

On a completely random note, my granda was in the royal navy during the war and once told me a few stories about seeing great whites in the indian ocean.

Nee need for that like.

On a completely random note, my granda was in the royal navy during the war and once told me a few stories about seeing great whites in the indian ocean.

Canny that mind.

Nee need for that like.

Canny that mind.

i thought so, especially as he (to my knowledge) never talked much about what he did during the war.

Nee need for that like.

Nothing wrong with the navigation to be fair. It was on a suitably diverted course and following accepted practice for ice fields, i.e. go faster.

Nee need for that like.

Nothing wrong with the navigation to be fair. It was on a suitably diverted course and following accepted practice for ice fields, i.e. go faster.

Fucking global warming man, if only it took real effect over 150 years ago..

the surviving crew ahd their wages paid up to the moment they were on the Titanic - their pay stopped when they got into the lifeboats

and the White Star Co. didn't pay their trip back to Liverpool either..............

the surviving crew ahd their wages paid up to the moment they were on the Titanic - their pay stopped when they got into the lifeboats

and the White Star Co. didn't pay their trip back to Liverpool either..............

Probably a bit late to have a whip round rob....

• 10 months later...

Arctic 'has 90bn barrels of oil'

The Arctic is estimated to hold 90bn barrels of untapped oil, according to figures from the US Geological Survey (USGS).

The USGS says the area has three times as much untapped natural gas as oil.

Drilling plans in the Arctic have been controversial, with environment groups worried about the effect on wildlife.

While oil prices have been falling in recent days to around $125 a barrel, many analysts expect oil prices to remain high, and even to rise again.

The figures from the USGS are said to be the first estimate of the energy available north of the Arctic circle.

According to the survey, the Arctic holds about 13% of the world's undiscovered oil, 30% of the undiscovered natural gas, and 20% of the undiscovered natural gas liquids.

"Before we can make decisions about our future use of oil and gas and related decisions about protecting endangered species, native communities and the health of our planet, we need to know what's out there," said USGS director Mark Myers.

US President George W Bush has already urged Congress to end a ban on drilling for oil in US coastal waters, to make the US less reliant on imports.

Exploration companies believe the recent rapid ice melt in the Arctic may make it easier to get reserves out of the region.

The oil and gas is said to be recoverable using current technology, but the USGS said it "did not consider economic factors such as the effects of permanent sea ice or oceanic water depth in its assessment of undiscovered oil and gas resources".

USGS said it "did not consider economic factors such as the effects of permanent sea ice or oceanic water depth in its assessment of undiscovered oil and gas resources".

bloody expensive in other words.............

US DECLARES WAR ON ESKIMOS!

oh dear............... like using the N word to talk about Americans of colour

It's INUIT these days FFS

Guest Stevie

They look like cold chinkies.

Just make sure you don't reheat the rice.

That's a popular misconception actually. All Inuit's are Eskimos, but not all Eskimos are Inuit.

That's a popular misconception actually. All Inuit's are Eskimos, but not all Eskimos are Inuit.

that's interesting - more reading suggestions please

Just make sure you don't reheat the rice.

:icon_lol:

Wikipedia

There are two main groups referred to as Eskimo: Yupik and Inuit. A third group, the Aleut, is related. The Yupik language dialects and cultures in Alaska and eastern Siberia have evolved in place beginning with the original (pre-Dorset) Eskimo culture that developed in Alaska. Approximately 4000 years ago the Unangam (also known as Aleut) culture became distinctly separate, and evolved into a non-Eskimo culture. Approximately 1500-2000 years ago, apparently in Northwestern Alaska, two other distinct variations appeared. The Inuit language branch became distinct and in only several hundred years spread across northern Alaska, Canada and into Greenland. At about the same time, the Thule Technology also developed in northwestern Alaska and very quickly spread over the entire area occupied by Eskimo people, though it was not necessarily adopted by all of them.

In Canada and Greenland the term Eskimo is widely held to be pejorative and has fallen out of favor, largely supplanted by the term Inuit. However, while Inuit describes all of the Eskimo peoples in Canada and Greenland, that is not true in Alaska and Siberia. In Alaska the term Eskimo is commonly used, because it includes both Yupik and Inupiat, while Inuit is not accepted as a collective term or even specifically used for Inupiat (which technically is Inuit). No universal replacement term for Eskimo, inclusive of all Inuit and Yupik people, is accepted across the geographical area inhabited by the Inuit and Yupik peoples.