Mort's Plea to Fans

JawD

CHRIS Mort has urged Newcastle’s supporters to help him ensure there is no repeat of the anti-Islamic chanting that overshadowed last weekend’s Premier League fixture at Middlesbrough.

Some visiting supporters abused Mido during Sunday’s Tees-Tyne fixture at the Riverside Stadium and with Football Association officials set to investigate the matter, the Magpies chairman is hoping it was an isolated incident.

“Unfortunately, it was the abuse of Mido and not our open play and goals that captured the headlines,” said Mort, writing in his column in this afternoon’s official match programme. “This isn’t typical behaviour from our supporters.

“We value highly the great work that has been done by and with important organisations such as Kick It Out and we also do a considerable amount of work which goes unnoticed. This club doesn’t judge people on the grounds of race, religion or personal beliefs. I want to encourage fan participation and we must all work hard together to make sure the Mido incident is a one-off.

“I would like to say a public thank-you for the way the Middlesbrough owner (Steve Gibson) and manager (Gareth Southgate) reacted to the incident. While they naturally supported their player, all their comments about Newcastle United were both sensible and measured.”

Fair enough really. We've all said our bit on this now and we know while it was perhaps not the most intelligent of chants (either), it was also blown out of proportion. I wouldnt like to hear us singing it again and would much rather we came up with something more witty next time around. Even just a big "SSSHHHHHH" whenever he got the ball ...

CHRIS Mort has urged Newcastle’s supporters to help him ensure there is no repeat of the anti-Islamic chanting that overshadowed last weekend’s Premier League fixture at Middlesbrough.

Some visiting supporters abused Mido during Sunday’s Tees-Tyne fixture at the Riverside Stadium and with Football Association officials set to investigate the matter, the Magpies chairman is hoping it was an isolated incident.

“Unfortunately, it was the abuse of Mido and not our open play and goals that captured the headlines,” said Mort, writing in his column in this afternoon’s official match programme. “This isn’t typical behaviour from our supporters.

“We value highly the great work that has been done by and with important organisations such as Kick It Out and we also do a considerable amount of work which goes unnoticed. This club doesn’t judge people on the grounds of race, religion or personal beliefs. I want to encourage fan participation and we must all work hard together to make sure the Mido incident is a one-off.

“I would like to say a public thank-you for the way the Middlesbrough owner (Steve Gibson) and manager (Gareth Southgate) reacted to the incident. While they naturally supported their player, all their comments about Newcastle United were both sensible and measured.”

Fair enough really. We've all said our bit on this now and we know while it was perhaps not the most intelligent of chants (either), it was also blown out of proportion. I wouldnt like to hear us singing it again and would much rather we came up with something more witty next time around. Even just a big "SSSHHHHHH" whenever he got the ball ...

Now thats a canny idea.

Now thats a canny idea.

Miss Taylor might come along and claim that because Mido is of islamic persuasion, Newcastle fans don't think he is worthy of having an opinion.

Now thats a canny idea.

Miss Taylor might come along and claim that because Mido is of islamic persuasion, Newcastle fans don't think he is worthy of having an opinion.

The best thing anyone can do is just not read the Guardian, and frankly this issue is the LEAST of the reasons why.