Newcastle United Vs Wigan Athletic

Tom

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the match. The defence were awesome today, Taylor looks more suited to RB than CB. But the one down side has got to be Geremi. 3 games in a row now and he has been the worst player on the pitch. He has so litte vision and nearly always picks out the wrong pass. Hes also great at breaking up our counter attacks by dwelling on the ball for 5 seconds before passing it to the opposing team.

As soon as Barton is back he needs to be dropped and a new captain installed.

Cacapa looks like our best defender since Woodgate and Rosenhal isnt far behind. Played together today like they had been playing together for years. More of the same lads

I thought Geremi had the better game of our two central midfielders. Butt won balls and found space, but never did anything with the ball once he had it. The chance he missed was gutting too. Geremi always looked compsed to me.

Overall a class performance by everyone though, dominated the whole game. More of this please.

Dear Big Sam:

Thanks for putting Martins on. Next step: Take Owen off.

Maybe next game you'll go the whole nine yards and take Owen off for Martins. Thank you.

So clueless. :lol:

Easy to say now that Owen's goal won us the match. But whose cross was it? Martins's.

tbh I also couldn't see Martins muffing those clear chances that Owen did.

Owen doesn't play for this club. He makes cameo appearances. I have to put my trust in workhorse Martins.

Dear Big Sam:

Maybe next game you'll go the whole nine yards and take Owen off for Martins. Thank you.

So clueless. :lol:

Easy to say now that Owen's goal won us the match. But whose cross was it? Martins's.

Owen doesn't play for this club. He makes cameo appearances. I have to put my trust in workhorse Martins.

If any of my workhorses were like Martins, I'd put them down tbh.

Anyone that would rather start Martins over Owen needs their head examined.

Dear Big Sam:

So clueless. :razz:

Are you taking the piss or just talking shit? Owen was superb yesterday, easily MOM imo. He proved he could create and then he also scored against a tight Wigan defence.

I've criticised Owen in the past but this is a new era and for me that is bygones. The lad is still class, in fact better class than ever, and with a bit of luck (from injuries) will help us get a top 6 position.

Dear Big Sam:

The point is that Martins would never find himself in the position to miss the chances that Owen did yesterday because he hasn't got the brain that Owen has. Owen's makes runs and anticipates the play to find himself in these positions, and once he's got a few more games under his belt, he'll start scoring a lot more of these chances than he's missing. And what's more, he's been making runs like this since he was a teenager, because it just comes naturally to him. The only thing that comes naturally to Martins is running fast, and if he plays til he's 100 he will never learn to make these sort of runs, or anticipate the play in the way that Owen does, because it's just not in him. The gulf in class between the two players is enormous.

PS Fucking workhorse?! :icon_lol:

Just watched the game on Football First and I was pretty impressed with our overall play and the chances we created, on another day it would have been 5 or 6 nil. Thought our defense looked composed when called upon, Cacapa looks like a very good player and fits in well with Rozenhal, be interesting to see what happens when Beye is ready for action.

I agree with what has been said about Owen`s positional play, bloody excellent. He`s starting to look sharp and I reckon if he stays fit he can get us 25 goals this season. Ameobi on the other hand is bollocks. Oba looked lively when he came on, I would like to see him and Owen start together in a 4-4-2 with quality balls being played behind the oposition I think they would form quite a potent partnership, obviously punting long balls forward wouldnt work tho`.

So five competative games, three clean sheets and no defeats plus Faye,Enrique,Beye,Duff & Emre to come into the squad. I think we can kick on and really go places this season

Dear Big Sam:

The point is that Martins would never find himself in the position to miss the chances that Owen did yesterday because he hasn't got the brain that Owen has. Owen's makes runs and anticipates the play to find himself in these positions, and once he's got a few more games under his belt, he'll start scoring a lot more of these chances than he's missing. And what's more, he's been making runs like this since he was a teenager, because it just comes naturally to him. The only thing that comes naturally to Martins is running fast, and if he plays til he's 100 he will never learn to make these sort of runs, or anticipate the play in the way that Owen does, because it's just not in him. The gulf in class between the two players is enormous.

Yeah, the original (1998) Owen phenomenon was as much about his then physical attributes as anything, but since then it's always been about his brain to get into positions for chances and his finishing as much as that (you can see this in his headed goals which have little to do with his pace - then or now).

So whilst Martins is an incredible athlete he still has a fair old bit missing as a footballer (although as usual in these situations if you could put Owen's brain in Martins body you'd have an amazing striker). It was pretty much that which allowed Shearer to still play at a very high level despite being effectively immobile in his last couple of season (you don't need to be fast IF you can anticipate where you need to be and can finish most anything).

The biggest issue with Owen is him staying fit however.

Dear Big Sam:

Unless you're referring to Matthew Perry's romantic comedy vehicle, using that phrase precludes you from having an opinion on the matter.

Edited by Sicklee Sausage Roll

Paul Scharner to die a horrible, horrible death. Preferably from an inane attempt to feign injury a spike somehow manifests itself from the turf and impales him.

That is all.

He was a disgrace wasnt he! There was one tackle where he sat on his arse for 5 seconds watching play go on and when wigan lost posession he suddenly grasped his ankle and started rolling over. fortunately the ref played on and the boos from the crowd embarrassed him into getting back up again

Knew we'd win on the basis I wasn't there. Was Bramble man of the match or does Peasepud owe me a tenner?

I said the away game although he did have a canny enough game tbh

Link? :razz: Anyway, the original bet was he would get in the England squad (or rather wouldn't from my POV) within the year. This was double or quits. You can just give my 20 quid to tacheback now if you want.

Knew we'd win on the basis I wasn't there. Was Bramble man of the match or does Peasepud owe me a tenner?

Link? :razz: Anyway, the original bet was he would get in the England squad (or rather wouldn't from my POV) within the year. This was double or quits. You can just give my 20 quid to tacheback now if you want.

nope, we'll wait but either way, the dosh can go to tacheback although you had your chance to help it raise a fortune and you heartlessly let them down you baaaastard.

nope, we'll wait but either way, the dosh can go to tacheback although you had your chance to help it raise a fortune and you heartlessly let them down you baaaastard.

:icon_lol: Wor lass wouldn't have it tbf. I'd look like a baldy Paul Calf. I'm not arsed about the bet btw but I'm more than happy for it to go to Tacheback, win or lose.

Dear Big Sam:

Trying to use Owen's ability to ream the game and use great movement to knock Martins is pretty pointless, to start with their styles of football is completely different and you won't find many players in World football with better movement than Owen, on the other hand Owen could only dream of scoring some of the quality goals Martins has scored here and defenders panic when he gets anywhere within 30 yards of goal, two important players who will play a big part if we're to do well this season.

One thing about Owen thought is his pace has gone, I know he's lost alot since he was a lad but even when he first came here he had the pace to sprint away from defenders (Man City at home a good example) now though he doesn't look like he's going to pull away from anyone so he's going to need intelligent balls to his feet, he needs space created for him like Bellamy did for Shearer so it's even more disappointing that we replaced Dyer with Smith who done nothing again yesterday apart from a few sliding tackles and a few poor attempts at goal, certainly not what you're looking for from someone wide right.

Dear Big Sam:

Trying to use Owen's ability to ream the game and use great movement to knock Martins is pretty pointless, to start with their styles of football is completely different and you won't find many players in World football with better movement than Owen, on the other hand Owen could only dream of scoring some of the quality goals Martins has scored here and defenders panic when he gets anywhere within 30 yards of goal, two important players who will play a big part if we're to do well this season.

One thing about Owen thought is his pace has gone, I know he's lost alot since he was a lad but even when he first came here he had the pace to sprint away from defenders (Man City at home a good example) now though he doesn't look like he's going to pull away from anyone so he's going to need intelligent balls to his feet, he needs space created for him like Bellamy did for Shearer so it's even more disappointing that we replaced Dyer with Smith who done nothing again yesterday apart from a few sliding tackles and a few poor attempts at goal, certainly not what you're looking for from someone wide right.

agreed. i can't see why we spent so much on smith, nor where he's going to fit into the side when everyone's fit. on the evidence so far, he doesn't look much of a midfielder.