Newcastle United Vs Wigan Athletic

Tom

Guest Patrokles
Knew we'd win on the basis I wasn't there. Was Bramble man of the match or does Peasepud owe me a tenner?

I said the away game although he did have a canny enough game tbh

Link? :razz: Anyway, the original bet was he would get in the England squad (or rather wouldn't from my POV) within the year. This was double or quits. You can just give my 20 quid to tacheback now if you want.

Given Heskey's recall, I wouldn't be so confident... :icon_lol:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Big Sam:

Thanks for putting Martins on. Next step: Take Owen off.

Maybe next game you'll go the whole nine yards and take Owen off for Martins. Thank you.

So clueless. :razz:

Easy to say now that Owen's goal won us the match. But whose cross was it? Martins's.

tbh I also couldn't see Martins muffing those clear chances that Owen did.

Owen doesn't play for this club. He makes cameo appearances. I have to put my trust in workhorse Martins.

The point is that Martins would never find himself in the position to miss the chances that Owen did yesterday because he hasn't got the brain that Owen has. Owen's makes runs and anticipates the play to find himself in these positions, and once he's got a few more games under his belt, he'll start scoring a lot more of these chances than he's missing. And what's more, he's been making runs like this since he was a teenager, because it just comes naturally to him. The only thing that comes naturally to Martins is running fast, and if he plays til he's 100 he will never learn to make these sort of runs, or anticipate the play in the way that Owen does, because it's just not in him. The gulf in class between the two players is enormous.

PS Fucking workhorse?! :icon_lol:

Trying to use Owen's ability to ream the game and use great movement to knock Martins is pretty pointless, to start with their styles of football is completely different and you won't find many players in World football with better movement than Owen, on the other hand Owen could only dream of scoring some of the quality goals Martins has scored here and defenders panic when he gets anywhere within 30 yards of goal, two important players who will play a big part if we're to do well this season.

One thing about Owen thought is his pace has gone, I know he's lost alot since he was a lad but even when he first came here he had the pace to sprint away from defenders (Man City at home a good example) now though he doesn't look like he's going to pull away from anyone so he's going to need intelligent balls to his feet, he needs space created for him like Bellamy did for Shearer so it's even more disappointing that we replaced Dyer with Smith who done nothing again yesterday apart from a few sliding tackles and a few poor attempts at goal, certainly not what you're looking for from someone wide right.

I don't need to use Owen's movement and ability to read the game to knock Martins. It's easier to just point at how shit Martins' movement and ability to read the game are. It's not a question of the one relative to the other.

And I think the "defenders panic when he gets anywhere within 30 yards of goal" is a MASSIVE overstatement btw. I've certainly not seen much evidence of it.

I was trying to remember the last time it looked like a toon manager was building a solid, intelligent defence who dominate games and give us the platform to win games by 1 goal and are good footballers as well...then i remembered that's never happened before, ever! Obviously they've got some tests against the big teams to come, but with Beye and Enrique still to add in its looking really good.

Excellent first half performance where 2 crap decisions, a good save, the crossbar and a couple of misses kept us from the goals we should have had which would have lead to Wigan getting a bit of a hammering. Second half got very tight as they put 10 men behind the ball but we got our reward in the end and Owen did what he does better than most despite somebody on here seemiing to think he's shit when he's one of the best finishers in the business and makes perfectly timed, intelligent runs off the ball time and again to create these openings.

As for Wigan what a disgrace they were, a team of cloggers who also managed to be the biggest bunch of tarts i've seen in ages, every five mintues one of the bastards was on the ground feigning some sort of injury. What was good to see was after the first time we kicked the ball out for one of the cheating bastards (which we shouldn't have) the second time we just said fuck them and kept on attacking!

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Was really impressed with the team on Saturday tbh. Granted the opposition weren't up to much but the back four looked as solid as I have ever seen (I think Taylor will find it very difficult to get back in the centre ahead of Roz and Cacapa who are both looking top class so far).

We created plenty of chances which on another day would have seen us score at least three.

I think it's important to stick with 4-4-2 at home as it offers much more when we need to force the attacking play.

My only worries are where Smith actually fits into the team and a central two of Geremi and Butt is a bit too much like Butt and Parker and not attacking enough especially at home against teams like Wigan. Although I Barton will change that quite a bit when he's fit.

Was really impressed with the team on Saturday tbh. Granted the opposition weren't up to much but the back four looked as solid as I have ever seen (I think Taylor will find it very difficult to get back in the centre ahead of Roz and Cacapa who are both looking top class so far).

We created plenty of chances which on another day would have seen us score at least three.

I think it's important to stick with 4-4-2 at home as it offers much more when we need to force the attacking play.

My only worries are where Smith actually fits into the team and a central two of Geremi and Butt is a bit too much like Butt and Parker and not attacking enough especially at home against teams like Wigan. Although I Barton will change that quite a bit when he's fit.

Agree it'll be good to see what difference Barton makes to the attacking drive of the team whenhe makes his return from injury, also the option of Zog playing in midfield once Enrique is match fit and playing at LB.

And whilst its early days, i've never been this impressed with the potential of a toon defence with Beye and Enrique to come!

Agree it'll be good to see what difference Barton makes to the attacking drive of the team whenhe makes his return from injury, also the option of Zog playing in midfield once Enrique is match fit and playing at LB.

And whilst its early days, i've never been this impressed with the potential of a toon defence with Beye and Enrique to come!

I think N'Zogbia could slot in the midfield and be that "creative midfielder" some of us wanted to sign in the transfer window.

I think N'Zogbia could slot in the midfield and be that "creative midfielder" some of us wanted to sign in the transfer window.

I don't think he has the vision

...that is all I have to say right now.

I don't think he has the vision

...that is all I have to say right now.

I agree, he's the kind of player the creative midfielder finds in space to finish moves rather than the one who starts them

Wigan have been charged by the Football Association with failing to control their players at Newcastle on Saturday.

"The charge relates to the conduct of their players towards referee Steve Bennett in two separate incidents," said an FA statement.

Wigan have until Wednesday 19 September to respond to the FA's charge.

The Latics lost 1-0 to a late Michael Owen goal at St James' Park and had midfielder Kevin Kilbane sent off after 46 minutes for two bookable offences.

Wigan have been charged by the Football Association with failing to control their players at Newcastle on Saturday.

"The charge relates to the conduct of their players towards referee Steve Bennett in two separate incidents," said an FA statement.

Wigan have until Wednesday 19 September to respond to the FA's charge.

The Latics lost 1-0 to a late Michael Owen goal at St James' Park and had midfielder Kevin Kilbane sent off after 46 minutes for two bookable offences.

It's no surprise this happing in a game that Bennett refereed. The guy is a clown of the highest order and without doubt the worst referee in the premier league.

Its good that they're doing this, but what a shock its a little club like Wigan they've picked on, whilst ignoring the fact CHelski do it on a weekly basis and the likes of manu and arse have had long spells where their teams made a point of harrassing refs every game.