Sunday Paper gossip

Jimbo

TRANSFER RUMOURS

David Beckham wants a loan move to play in England after the American season has finished to increase his chances of reaching 100 England caps - he currently has 97 (Express).

Everton's Phil Jagielka could be on his way back to Sheffield United on loan (People).

Portsmouth will try and sign Eidur Gudjohnsen from Barcelona in January after a bid to sign him in August was scuppered by injury (Mirror).

Tell us your transfer rumours

OTHER GOSSIP

Ronald Koeman is the new favourite to succeed Martin Jol if the Tottenham board lose patience with the manager (Express).

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech says Aston Villa loan signing Scott Carson should be England's goalkeeper (Mail).

Manchester City's Kasper Schmeichel is set to land a new three-year contract, tripling his wages, after his impressive start to the season (Mail).

Uefa say they want "professional and gentle" stewarding when Manchester United visit Roma, after last season's baton charges by Italian police (Mail).

Birmingham boss Steve Bruce said there were "absolutely no positives" from their 2-0 defeat at Middlesbrough and they were "woeful" (Independent).

Former Chelsea coach Ruud Gullit has hinted he would be interested in returning to management in England (Telegraph).

West Ham chairman Eggert Magnusson says the team will succeed because he "feels semi-English" and understands the culture in a way other overseas owners do not (Observer).

Russia coach Guus Hiddink says foreign teams are not scared of England because too many visitors have won at Wembley (News of the World).

David Dein insists he is not involved in a takeover bid at Arsenal but wants to "bring more financial firepower to the table" (Times).

Peter Reid is favourite to be the new Leicester manager, and Glenn Roeder has been interviewed as a potential director of football (News of the World).

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez fell out with his number two Pako Ayestaran because he was too friendly with Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho (News of the World).

Leicester's Clive Clarke says he could not sleep after his heart stopped because he was scared he would not wake up (News of the World).

Neil Warnock could replace Peter Taylor as Crystal Palace boss (People).

Arsenal's Spanish goalkeeper Manuel Almunia would be interested in playing for England when he qualifies for a British passport in 2009 on residency grounds (People).

AND FINALLY

Sir Bobby Charlton has revealed he persuaded the Manchester United board to appoint Sir Alex Ferguson rather than Terry Venables as United manager in 1986 after Ron Atkinson was sacked (Express).

Leicester's sports scientist Damien Doyle, who helped save Clive Clarke's life after his heart stopped, has been sacked along with manager Martin Allen (Mail).

The Ministry of Culture, Media and Sport has told the Football Supporters' Federation it is considering its report into the re-introduction of terracing (Observer).

Portsmouth's Gary O'Neil had just paid £5,000 annual membership fee at Wentworth Golf Club before he was sold to Middlesbrough (Mirror).

Peter Reid is favourite to be the new Leicester manager, and Glenn Roeder has been interviewed as a potential director of football (News of the World).

Well thats 2008/09's "What the fuck where you thinking?" award sown up. :razz:

The Ministry of Culture, Media and Sport has told the Football Supporters' Federation it is considering its report into the re-introduction of terracing (Observer).

:razz:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment that the atmosphere is not the same as it was in the days of terracing, I do wonder how they'd set about doing it. Surely it'd be a 'new ground' thing only? SJP for instance has been totally transformed for seating only (i'm talking about the underlying infrastucture of the stadium) and it's not simply a case of tearing up the seats and letting people stand.

With that in mind, they have to carefully consider any action they take. Although I miss terracing, I think the world has moved on and it won't come back. They can't risk having another Hillsborough which we all know wasn't a failure of the stadium but of the policing. They couldn't guarantee that they'd get the policing right in future so they changed the other factor.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment that the atmosphere is not the same as it was in the days of terracing, I do wonder how they'd set about doing it. Surely it'd be a 'new ground' thing only? SJP for instance has been totally transformed for seating only (i'm talking about the underlying infrastucture of the stadium) and it's not simply a case of tearing up the seats and letting people stand.

With that in mind, they have to carefully consider any action they take. Although I miss terracing, I think the world has moved on and it won't come back. They can't risk having another Hillsborough which we all know wasn't a failure of the stadium but of the policing. They couldn't guarantee that they'd get the policing right in future so they changed the other factor.

I don't agree. When people here the bring back terracing argument they think its all or nothing. What should happen is for grounds to be able to have small terracing sections for those people who want it. If it is small enough pockets in the right area and with the right design there is no chance of another hillsborough.

I think only certain sections of the stadium should have seats, like below for example. I think the barrier these days with terraces are obviously safely & security. If they do introduce new terracing sections they'd have to make sure they'd be safe & secure & also maybe every supporter having the right to stand in the place they chose to just as they do with seating.

sjpseatplanzu8.jpg

I don't agree. When people here the bring back terracing argument they think its all or nothing. What should happen is for grounds to be able to have small terracing sections for those people who want it. If it is small enough pockets in the right area and with the right design there is no chance of another hillsborough.

That's the main problem - the 'right' design will likely not be cost effective for the return of terracing. The amount of research into how to get it right and make the chance of a repeat of what happened as low as possible (we can never say there'd be no chance of a repeat) would be immense.

I'd love to see it come back, sadly I just don't see it happening.

i think bringing terraces into st james would ruin the fantastic stadium we already have

Don't agree with that - it might make it not look as 'pretty' but the effect it would have on the atmosphere would be tremendous.

Bottom line is that there is no comparison between the atmosphere generated at SJP now compared to the terraces. Even the shite games in those days were more enjoyable than sitting through some games these days where we are doing OK but the place is like a mausoleum.