Heskey recalled to England squad

Paul

Heskey recalled to England squad

England coach Steve McClaren has called Wigan forward Emile Heskey into his squad for the Euro 2008 qualifiers against Israel and Russia.

The Wigan striker won the last of his 43 caps against France at Euro 2004.

McClaren watched the 29-year-old in action for Wigan at Newcastle on Saturday and subsequently requested his release from the Latics.

"I think he deserves to be recalled. We need his experience at this time," said McClaren on the FA's website.

"Emile is a player with a lot international experience and has played many times with Michael Owen in the past.

"He's been in good form for Wigan this season, he played very well against Sunderland and I saw him play well against Newcastle.

Peter Crouch is suspended for Saturday's encounter with Israel at Wembley, while Wayne Rooney has been sidelined with a broken bone in his foot.

Heskey has scored just five times in his 43 appearances at international level, but has been tipped for a recall after some powerful Premier League displays this season.

And McClaren was keen to bring in some muscle up front after watching Owen impress when partnered with Mark Viduka and Shola Ameobi for Newcastle.

The coach's other striking options for the game against Israel are Tottenham's Jermain Defoe, Andrew Johnson of Everton and Newcastle's Alan Smith - although there have been suggestions that winger Joe Cole could be used in a more attacking role.

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...als/6974969.stm

Published: 2007/09/02 11:44:18 GMT

© BBC MMVII

:razz:

I don't know what he's done to earn his place again, but we always seem to have at least one shit inclusion. Bentley & Young on the other hand...mind, still not impressed by Bentley’s decision to withdraw from the under21's, like.

what a joke. his 5 goals in 40 odd internationals says it all. he had more than a fair chance and never did it at international level. in fact, he's been pretty shit ever since he left leicester.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Looks like England are shaping up to play a long-ball game if Heskey starts.

I would have preferred to give someone like Joe Cole a role just behind a lone striker, or even just starting with Johnson or Bent up front with Owen.