When everyone is fit (I know) who is your holding mf?

Park Life

For me I think Geremi edges it over Butt. His passing and overall awareness is better with less stray passes and also he's not afraid of passing forward when the opp arises. Butt although good since last season is way too one dimensional for me and also prone to take random shots from anywhere (off target) giving up position.

Geremi is more of a talker and leader as well.

So....

...................Geremi..

.......Barton..................Zoggy...

Would be my three. With Zoggy interchanging with the left forward Milner/Duff in a classic 433.

I haven't been impressed with Geremi at all. I'd definitely not drop Milner or Zoggy in his stead, which would leave a 4-3-3 midfield too light weight. I'd play a 4-4-2, Barton and Butt or Smith Milner and Zoggy on the wings. Rotate Martins and Owen, Viduka and Ameobi. Flat back four or (if they come good) Beye and Enrique and the central defenders would have to be Cacapa and Rozenhal, I know that puts Taylor down the pecking order, but I reckon he's still learning the game and these two seem more assured and capable than the players he's been slung into partnership before.

I haven't been impressed with Geremi at all. I'd definitely not drop Milner or Zoggy in his stead, which would leave a 4-3-3 midfield too light weight. I'd play a 4-4-2, Barton and Butt or Smith Milner and Zoggy on the wings. Rotate Martins and Owen, Viduka and Ameobi. Flat back four or (if they come good) Beye and Enrique and the central defenders would have to be Cacapa and Rozenhal, I know that puts Taylor down the pecking order, but I reckon he's still learning the game and these two seem more assured and capable than the players he's been slung into partnership before.

Ideally I'd like to go 442 but I don't think apart from the odd game SA is going to do it. I'd prefer it as we have players more suited to the orthodox system.

It doesn't bother me putting Taylor behind those two.

I could only really describe Smith's role as an attacking midfielder like Scholes & Dyer, but without the goals & pace, just great work rate. He's not good enough as a striker nor is he really a midfielder.

It would have to be between Geremi, Faye & Nicky Butt. It looks more like Faye & Butt fighting it out for a defensive midfield role, but neither is as composed as Geremi. Geremi is simply a holding role midfielder.

I'd say against the more physical teams Faye because of his power and obvious aerial threat, and Sam seems to rate him very highly. Against the more ball playing teams like the Arsenal I'd have Butt in there as he's still one of the best DMCs around on his day.

I could only really describe Smith's role as an attacking midfielder like Scholes & Dyer, but without the goals & pace, just great work rate. He's not good enough as a striker nor is he really a midfielder.

It would have to be between Geremi, Faye & Nicky Butt. It looks more like Faye & Butt fighting it out for a defensive midfield role, but neither is as composed as Geremi. Geremi is simply a holding role midfielder.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...3/sfnnew103.xml

Go to the bottom of the page and it is quite a revelation looking at how much Geremi was involved compared to the rest of the midfield.

I'd say against the more physical teams Faye because of his power and obvious aerial threat, and Sam seems to rate him very highly. Against the more ball playing teams like the Arsenal I'd have Butt in there as he's still one of the best DMCs around on his day.

I agree with you, Faye is a big presence and gives us the height and power we lack, he would look good with Barton,Milner & Zog in a 4-4-2 against the weaker teams

Away to the big 4 I would play

Geremi----------Faye------------Butt

------------------Zoggy---------------

----Owen/Martins---------------Viduka

That will give us a solid base, a creative midfielder,presence up top and some pace. Cant see us shipping too many goals either

Edited by jaythesouthernmag

I've been impressed with Geremi too. I admit I wasn't particularly excited about his signing having never been a fan but I've liked what I have seen so far.

His passing is superior to anyone else we've had in midfield for god knows how long and he's got a good engine to get about the pitch and stop the opposition.

I'm not keen on the partnership of him and Butt in the middle though as I don't think either of them offer enough drive into the oppostions defensive third. I think their pairing has been more to do with other missing parts of the team though than Allardyce thinking they are the way to go.

I would expect that we will more than likely see Geremi and Barton at home and Faye added to them in a 4-3-3 for away games. I think that might well be a very nice balance of ability and graft in the middle of the park.

I think Butt is still doing a very decent job but I just expect SA like any other manager to want to play his signings so I think his games might be a bit more limited if everyone is fit.

Cant believe theres hardly a mention for barton? and what all this about 433?? Come on guys it isnt great and it dont suit us...

Id go with 442, enrique and beye as fullbacks, tayls and cacapa in middle, milner and zoggy on the flanks and smith and barton in the middle (when fit) until then geremi and smith, with shola/viduka and oba/owen...thats the way foward me thinks

Edited by Barba...

trouble with smith is he offers nothing apart from hard work, he needs to be played further forward as i have yet to see players with a better first touch than him, just a shame about his other attributes.

He has been known to score the odd goal in the past as well.

Gotta say ive been disappointed with geremi too. I just dont see what he gives to the team. He looks scared to make that final pass and would rather play safe going sideways or backwards. Hence the ball comes back to him 5 seconds later which is why he has such a high pass rate.

I wouldnt mind seeing faye being given a chance in his role until barton is fit. Not like BS is going to drop the capt like.

Slightly off topic but I think the only thing Allardyce got wrong on Saturday was to have Butt as the more attacking out of him and Geremi.

I'm sure Geremi would have buried that second half chance that Butt skied before Owen scored.

Slightly off topic but I think the only thing Allardyce got wrong on Saturday was to have Butt as the more attacking out of him and Geremi.

I'm sure Geremi would have buried that second half chance that Butt skied before Owen scored.

Barton will play this hunting and late arriving stuff when he gets back.

What we are missing in mf is real creativity, not even the wingers we have (Zoggy has his moments but he's still learning) really understand how to change the patterns and tempo of a game.

What we are missing in mf is real creativity, not even the wingers we have (Zoggy has his moments but he's still learning) really understand how to change the patterns and tempo of a game.

Emre can do it. Whether he will is another story.

Emre can do it. Whether he will is another story.

I have a feeling SA will take a long hard look at Emre with the Jan window in mind.