Solano tribute to Toon Army

Scottish Mag

NOBBY SOLANO has apologised to Newcastle United for not winning a trophy for them in his two stints at St James’ Park.

In an emotional and exclusive interview with the Chronicle, the popular little Peruvian told me: “I will never forget the Newcastle United supporters.

“They will always have a place in my heart, no matter where I am in the world.”

Yet Solano insists he had changed his mind about leaving United and had decided to stay when West Ham came back in for him just hours before Friday’s midnight transfer deadline.

The Chronicle revealed on August 9 that Solano wanted to leave “for family reasons” and that the Hammers were keen to sign him.

It all happened very quickly on Friday, but I tracked Solano down as he waited in Madrid airport with his big pal, Chelsea’s Claudio Pizarro, on their way to Peru for the forthcoming friendlies with Bolivia and Colombia.

He said today: “I only have one regret about my time at Newcastle United, and that is I did not help give the fans the trophy they deserve.

“I have to say the Newcastle supporters were great to me and I can honestly say I always tried my very best for them.

“The only reason I wanted to leave was because of my family, and they all seemed to understand this.

“I know I am a professional footballer, but my family is very important to me.

“While my daughter Luana was born in Birmingham during my time at Aston Villa, my son Madias was born and bred in Newcastle and he is a real Geordie boy.

“They are in London and that is the only reason I wanted to go down there.

“Yet on Friday morning I had changed my mind and I was convinced I would be staying – and I was happy with that.

“Looking at the great squad Newcastle have, I accepted I would not play that many matches this season.

“So for that reason and for my family, I thought it was best to go when West Ham came back in for me.”

Solano went on: “While we did not win a trophy, I am going with a lot of great memories.

“The best came in the Champions League with Sir Bobby Robson.

“From a personal point of view, I did not score a better goal than the one against 1860 Munich in the Olympic Stadium in the InterToto Cup in 2001.

“The goal which gave me the greatest pleasure, though, was probably the winner at Elland Road over Christmas that same year, when Kieron Dyer and myself created havoc against Leeds United.”

After his trip back to Peru, Solano will make his Upton Park bow for West Ham against Middlesbrough.

Then it is back to St James’ Park with fellow former United colleagues Craig Bellamy and Lee Bowyer and possibly Scott Parker – but not, of course, Dyer who has a broken leg – for the Premier League match with Sam Allardyce’s side on September 23.

Solano added: “It will be great to come back so soon because everything happened so fast on Friday I did not have much time to say many goodbyes.

“You never know, I might be back permanently one day as manager of Newcastle United.

“Or as a coach if Alan Shearer is looking for one in years to come!”

It all happened very quickly on Friday, but I tracked Solano down as he waited in Madrid airport with his big pal, Chelsea’s Claudio Pizarro, on their way to Peru for the forthcoming friendlies with Bolivia and Colombia.

Alan Oliver - Thomson House's very own Jack Bauer

:razz:

Alan Oliver - Thomson House's very own Jack Bauer

:razz:

For "Tracked down" read "rang him on his mobile"

So he wouldn't have a problem living in Newcastle to manage or coach?

I'm sure his kids might be a little older ife comes back for that.

Edited by khay

legend. would love to see him, gary speed and rob lee coaching under shearer as manager - assuming they're all up to it like. they might not make it as coaches but the sentimentalist in me would love to see them return and win a trophy for the club. those four were more than good enough to win something for us. it was the management and other players that let them down.

legend. would love to see him, gary speed and rob lee coaching under shearer as manager - assuming they're all up to it like. they might not make it as coaches but the sentimentalist in me would love to see them return and win a trophy for the club. those four were more than good enough to win something for us. it was the management and other players that let them down.

Speed is already coach at Bolton I think, however I reckon the likes of Warren Barton and Mike Newell are more likely to join the back room staff ahead of Nobby imo.

There was also a very good interview with Rozehal in the chronicle, he comes across well and sounds like an intelligent footballer/person who also it turns out spent alot of last season playing midfield and he was a striker as a kid, hence why he looks very composed at the back.

There was also a very good interview with Rozehal in the chronicle, he comes across well and sounds like an intelligent footballer/person who also it turns out spent alot of last season playing midfield and he was a striker as a kid, hence why he looks very composed at the back.

He looks like a gay Polish barman.

He looks like a gay Polish barman.

Quality signature. Usefully adapted after a night on the piss to: "My guts are writing cheques my ringpiece can't cash"