More dross from Louise Taylor

Jimbo

Night on the Toon - Newcastle owner follows party line

Louise Taylor

Wednesday September 5, 2007

The Guardian

Typically dressed in an extra large black and white striped replica shirt with the name "Smith" on the back, the billionaire founder of Sports Direct is fast developing a taste for nights on the Toon.

Last Wednesday saw Ashley celebrate Newcastle's Carling Cup win against Barnsley at the Blu Bamboo nightclub in the city's Bigg Market, and Saturday featured a visit to Buffalo Joe's on the banks of the Tyne.

Keen to mark his team's Premier League victory against Wigan, the UK's 25th-richest man took a dozen friends to the wild west theme bar which features bikini-clad dancing cowgirls, bare-chested dancing cowboys and a mechanical rodeo bull. Buffalo Joe's regularly offers free drinks to patrons willing to sing on the bar's stage but, with Ashley around, few customers were required to dig deep into their pockets.

At Blu Bamboo Ashley bought countless drinks for strangers before handing staff, who had permitted him to breach the dress code, a £500 tip when he departed at 3am with his chairman, Chris Mort, a London lawyer, and things were little different on Saturday.

"They were buying drinks for people and set up an account behind the bar; everyone loved Mike Ashley," said Gemma Dunn, Buffalo Joe's deputy entertainment manager. "He's definitely not shy, he was loving all the attention and was very popular with the ladies. He said he was having a really good time and we gave him the picture with all the girls in bikinis to take home.

"He was with a big group and they were all in high spirits. They joined in with all the singing and cheesy dancing. We also played a few football songs and they loved that."

Christ almighty.

I can't say Blu Bambu or Buffalo Joes are my cup of tea, but what's the problem?

I mean jesus christ, she's really got a chip on here shoulder where we're concerned hasn't she?

Am I being whooshed? What has she said wrong in this instance?

Christ almighty.

I can't say Blu Bambu or Buffalo Joes are my cup of tea, but what's the problem?

I mean jesus christ, she's really got a chip on here shoulder where we're concerned hasn't she?

Am I being whooshed? What has she said wrong in this instance?

I think its more what shes inferring, the way its written about "typically dressed" and how shes portraying the area tbh.

As an aside, (in an Anal O styleee) my sources at the club were telling me that after the match Ashley had about 60 in the clubs box which is meant to hold half that many, the drinks bill came to 3grand and at some stage someone spilt a glass of red wine down Mikeys toon top so they rang the Metro Centre store and got them to make another Smith 17 one and had a driver go over and pick it up as Mikey boy wouldnt be without it for the evening. :razz:

He was seen to have had at least 15 pints and allegeldy you wouldnt have been able to tell that he'd even had one, seems our boy is quite the drinker :icon_lol:

It sounds like she's doing her best to portray a non-story (or even positive story in a way from a fans point of view) in a negative FFS/Feckless Hall-esq way.

Fairly sure she does have something personally against Newcastle or NUFC.

It sounds like she's doing her best to portray a non-story (or even positive story in a way from a fans point of view) in a negative FFS/Feckless Hall-esq way.

I think that's bollocks and everyone's being paranoid tbh.

She may be biased against Newcastle but it doesn't come across in that piece. It's not a complete non-story either, it dispells the myth of Ashley being a recluse which I think is quite positive.

Oh, it's a fine line. I'm pleased he seems to be trying to bond with the lercals as it means the stories about him selling up should die down.

On the other hand, it plays into the lazy journalist's hand who will paint him as Freddie MkII. With Big Sam adding grit to our side and getting rid of the "leaky defence" tag, I was looking forward to being seen as a respectable club and not a patronising caricature.

She may be biased against Newcastle but it doesn't come across in that piece. It's not a complete non-story either, it dispells the myth of Ashley being a recluse which I think is quite positive.

I think her language is pushing as much toward the negative (regularly drunk, football shirted, free spending [lager lout?] chairman in bikini bar) as she can get away with without being blatantly called biased, especially to a 3rd party reader.

And it is a non-story for a national newspaper, not perhaps for a local one (which I agree on the positive for the fans, not only in his willingness to be at Newcastle, but that he seems to be enjoying owning the club too).

Oh, it's a fine line. I'm pleased he seems to be trying to bond with the lercals as it means the stories about him selling up should die down.

On the other hand, it plays into the lazy journalist's hand who will paint him as Freddie MkII. With Big Sam adding grit to our side and getting rid of the "leaky defence" tag, I was looking forward to being seen as a respectable club and not a patronising caricature.

I'd imagine chairman and players stories have been lazy sport journalist staple slow news day filler material for so long now that the poor dears almost don't know what to do these days.

I think her language is pushing as much toward the negative (regularly drunk, football shirted, free spending [lager lout?] chairman in bikini bar) as she can get away with without being blatantly called biased, especially to a 3rd party reader.

And it is a non-story for a national newspaper, not perhaps for a local one (which I agree on the positive for the fans, not only in his willingness to be at Newcastle, but that he seems to be enjoying owning the club too).

Where does it say he was drunk, let alone regularly drunk?

He was wearing a football shirt was he not?

Is free spending a bad thing when you're a billionaire? More importantly, it's true isn't it?

Was he not in a bikini bar?

At the end of the day he's a high profile buissnessman and owner of one of the biggest clubs in the EPL. If he's going to go out on the piss, especially in places like Blu Bamboo and Buffalo Joes, it's going to raise eyebrows. But I could see nowt wrong with that report personally, it was factually correct and if you don't like it I suggest it's you that has the problem with Ashley and Mort's actions.

Is free spending a bad thing when you're a billionaire? More importantly, it's true isn't it?

At the end of the day he's a high profile buissnessman and owner of one of the biggest clubs in the EPL. If he's going to go out on the piss, especially in places like Blu Bamboo and Buffalo Joes, it's going to raise eyebrows. But I could see nowt wrong with that report personally, it was factually correct and if you don't like it I suggest it's you that has the problem with Ashley and Mort's actions.

I suggest you get Alex to explain subtext to you. :razz:

I understand subtext, I just believe if it hadn't been Taylor who penned that piece you wouldn't be criticising it.

I understand subtext, I just believe if it hadn't been Taylor who penned that piece you wouldn't be criticising it.

If it hadnt been Taylor who penned that piece it wouldnt have been written is more the point

I suggest you get Alex to explain subtext to you. :icon_lol:

There is a faintly critical sub-text at work here, but it isn't of the smash and grab ouevre. It is playing on two levels. Renton is right in the sense that it is factually correct and not particularly devisive, however for me it is a piece that is setting up various caveats in the sense of..'Look at this guy what is he upto'?!

For us as Toon supporters we aren't really bothered that he is developing a dialogue with the locals in this manner infact it is on the whole welcomed. What she (Louise) is doing is setting Ashley up for inspection by the broader general public by not using netural or positive wordage ie..

..'rubbing elbows, showing enthusiasm, jolly, (free spending could be replaced by generous) etc...

As someone mentioned earlier, they are playing in the realms of caricature and are looking to start a narrative or settle a narrative with regard to Ashley one which may lay in wait for his first big mistake....On one of these nights out.

So I'd settle on faintly critical, but factually correct...But you get the feeling she is waiting in the bushes for big Mike. :razz:

There is a faintly critical sub-text at work here, but it isn't of the smash and grab ouevre. It is playing on two levels. Renton is right in the sense that it is factually correct and not particularly devisive, however for me it is a piece that is setting up various caveats in the sense of..'Look at this guy what is he upto'?!

For us as Toon supporters we aren't really bothered that he is developing a dialogue with the locals in this manner infact it is on the whole welcomed. What she (Louise) is doing is setting Ashley up for inspection by the broader general public by not using netural or positive wordage ie..

..'rubbing elbows, showing enthusiasm, jolly, (free spending could be replaced by generous) etc...

As someone mentioned earlier, they are playing in the realms of caricature and are looking to start a narrative or settle a narrative with regard to Ashley one which may lay in wait for his first big mistake....On one of these nights out.

So I'd settle on faintly critical, but factually correct...But you get the feeling she is waiting in the bushes for big Mike. :razz:

That's actually the first of your conspracy theories I have subscribed to. Excellent analysis tbh.

Yep it's like she's setting the scene/getting in the groundwork for what is to come (one way or another).

It is subtlety negative, but negative it certainly is.

So I'd settle on faintly critical, but factually correct...But you get the feeling she is waiting in the bushes for big Mike. :icon_lol:

That's actually the first of your conspracy theories I have subscribed to. Excellent analysis tbh.

Conspiracy theory is about right! :razz:

Do people generally think the piece should not have been written, as Spongebob implies? If it is deemed newsworthy, how else would you write it?

I do agree that Ashley is risking setting himself up for a fall in the future a la Shepherd stylee, but surely that's his lookout. He's hopefully not as daft as Shepherd though.

Yep it's like she's setting the scene/getting in the groundwork for what is to come (one way or another).

Yep. let's criticise her for articles she hasn't written yet, the bitch. :icon_lol:

Oh yes.

For me it's beautiful in another way. It looks like we're going to have our own Citizen Kane moment although Mike is desperately fighting the recluse tag, (probably under PR team orders) the time will surely come when he will revert to type.

She also has to be careful because he is a true survivor unlike FS having come through the minefield that is 'the city' to obvious outsiders like him.

I always remind myself that he used to go to those big meetings in London with all his papers in a plastic bag.

Edited by Parky

I'm not saying it shouldnt have been written. If he goes on nights out like that then it's clearly out of the ordinary behaviour for a club chairman and is therefore 'newsworthy' in a sense. At the same time though I don't need any convincing that Taylor has an agenda about NUFC and I think that is evident in the language she uses. I think Parky's assessment is forensic rather than hysterical and he calls it spot on.