Facebook

RlCO

Myspace is a complete dead duck nowadays. Being a student facebook is great for sorting stuff out, nearly all my mates have it so good for keeping in contact

well thats just put me right off if it's full of students... :lol:

There is a lot of younger people on there but facebook is quie private compared to myspace. You will only really become friends with people you have already met rather than meet new friends on it.

in that case were'nt they already friends anyway ??

Correct..but now they are all in an address book style friends network. You wont gain NEW friends from facebook. Its just a away of keeping in touch...and wasting time away at work. :yes

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myspace is a complete dead duck nowadays. Being a student facebook is great for sorting stuff out, nearly all my mates have it so good for keeping in contact

There is a lot of younger people on there but facebook is quie private compared to myspace. You will only really become friends with people you have already met rather than meet new friends on it.

Correct..but now they are all in an address book style friends network. You wont gain NEW friends from facebook. Its just a away of keeping in touch...and wasting time away at work. :yes

aaahhh so it's a Gemmil thing then ??

Correct..but now they are all in an address book style friends network. You wont gain NEW friends from facebook. Its just a away of keeping in touch...and wasting time away at work. :hunter:

aaahhh so it's a Gemmil thing then ??

Not since he got a job where work is actually a requirement .... :yes

Just signed up to it and lo and beholf..there is a young lass on there I sacked about 5 years ago :yes

See, now you can build bridges. Poke her!

:lol: I beg your pardon !!

That's what you do on Facebook. Poke people

Just signed up to it and lo and beholf..there is a young lass on there I sacked about 5 years ago :hunter:

See, now you can build bridges. Poke her!

:lol: I beg your pardon !!

That's what you do on Facebook. Poke people

oh...ermmmm...I see :yes

Just signed up to it and lo and beholf..there is a young lass on there I sacked about 5 years ago :lol:

You have a habit of bumping into people you've sacked, haven't you? :yes

Its got the reputation of being full of students because up until about a year ago you needed an academic email address to make a profile. It's much better than myspace IMO which I think is a pile of shite. I see it more as the next generation Friends Reunited.

As for meeting new people, it is impossible, but then I don't think that's the intention of the site.

I think it was better when it was only for academic users,

Because now it's overcrowded and all the Americans installed the 'Love Football' application and none of them know anything about football. Wankers...

Guest Patrokles

This privacy thing is guff anyway. As if anyone on facebook is worth being monitored by anyone important.

'I see Steve has set his profile status to 'selling nukes to the Africans,' best do something about that.'

This privacy thing is guff anyway. As if anyone on facebook is worth being monitored by anyone important.

'I see Steve has set his profile status to 'selling nukes to the Africans,' best do something about that.'

Information is power.

The press are making more of this than they need to tbh. Until you accept someone as a 'friend' on there, all they can see of you is a thumnail image (doesn't show much) and the list of friends you having.

It's not like they're allowing access to private information FFS!

That's not the privacy issue. The issue is that facebook have now decided to open up their entire database to the search engines so that it is indexed. This allows people outside facebook to search for you. The way it used to work was that you could not search for someone unless you had registered first - even then you could control what they saw of you.

It's all a ploy to get facebook more members and make it bigger. The problem is, it basically flaunts the data protection issue of opt-in not opt-out. You can opt-out of the public thing, but it's turned on by default.

Anything and everything you put up on your facebook profile will now be publicly visible. Some people have pictures of their bairns or of their friends which they share with their online facebook friends. If it's public you have no control over that. It's fine as long as you opt-out, but that's the point you have to opt-out. There has been little notification by facebook of this happening until after the fact.

I wasn't, my wife wasn't and neither were all the people in my office. Given that we are all involved in web related activities we all became aware of it pretty quickly. Still, it gave us something to blog about I suppose.

but i

OK, then I'd say they've got a case to answer. Maybe I'm just special. ;)

I'm sure thats what your mummy tells you ;P

I'm curious though. When did you get your notification? This might have been because of the arguments raised when it first emerged this was happening. Maybe they added this to the system but we all missed it in the office because we'd already changed our settings.

Mrs Paws didn't update her profile until the weekend though ;)

hmmm

as far as i was aware, unless you have been accepted as a friend of the user you get to view very little of his/her facebook, certainly not family pics and blogs etc. Ive just try to google myself and nothing has come up tbh

In the beginning that was the way it worked. It still will work that way if you change your privacy settings. As for the Google results - it takes time. Search indexes aren't instant. It may take a few months for the facebook stuff to be properly indexed.

so....facebook v myspace ...which one do I go for ??

Facebook imo. Register on MySpace and be prepared to be spammed to buggery... unless they've sorted that shite out now.