Big Sam eyes Carling bid

bawan

Sam Allardyce will look to overturn his own personal hoodoo when Newcastle face Arsenal in the Carling Cup third round.

Newcastle have not won a major trophy in 39 years and the League Cup is a real target for Allardyce - who reached the final with Bolton in 2004, only to lose to The Magpies' North East rivals Middlesbrough.

If Allardyce wants to taste victory in the Carling Cup, though, he must win at Arsenal - something he has never done as a manager.

"We were looking for a bit of luck with the draw, but it has got to be played to an end, and we will see how we go," bemoaned the Newcastle chief.

"I have never won at Arsenal - this would be the first time. It came down to the 93rd minute one year when Gilberto scored an equaliser.

"Hopefully, I can go one better this time."

Allardyce is buoyed by the fact that Arsenal, as is now tradition, will field a youthful side, although he insists that he will not be fielding his first team either.

"He will play his squad players - he always starts with them - and we will rotate our squad accordingly, just the same," he said.

"The Carling Cup tie drops in a difficult week for us because we play on the Sunday, then we are going to have to play them on the Tuesday night and then Saturday morning against Manchester City.

"Two out of those three games are away from home, so that's going to be a difficult week."

Whatever way you look at it its a really shitty draw. Arsenal are capable of destroying anyone, even their reserve team are brilliant! It's funny that everyone thought they'd fall apart when Henry left, but they have actually grown as a side. I think we'll maybe have to try our luck in the FA Cup, or wait until next year.

I think we are more tham capable of getting a win at Arsenal at the very least a draw.

There's no replay, is there? Normally I'd give us no hope in a penalty shoot out against Arsenal, but under Sam we might just have a chance.

We wont win anything this season.

FACT.

I agree

this season is about getting some badly needed stability in the squad and the club as a whole, winning stuff comes later