STEVEN TAYLOR has turned down a new five-year contract

Sever07

STEVEN TAYLOR has turned down a new five-year contract with Newcastle United.

The Taylor camp tell me that the financial terms of the contract are “completely inadequate” and it is something which concerns the young defender, who will captain the England Under-21 side in their match in Montenegro tonight.

Taylor’s dad Alf, who is looking after his son’s affairs these days, told me today: “I only hope they are not trying to force Steven out.

“He loves Newcastle United and it is the only club he wants to play for, but he is most disappointed at what they are offering him.”

United have made a formal offer to Taylor of a new five-year contract with a three-year option, but this has been rejected by the player.

Obviously footballers talk among themselves, especially about how much each earn, and Taylor will be very much aware how much United have come up with for James Milner and Charles N’Zogbia, who had their contracts reviewed and signed new deals at St James’ Park in the past couple of weeks.

And the word from Bolton is that Abdoulaye Faye is picking up £30,000 a week after joining United last week.

Yet at the moment, Taylor’s basic wage in his current deal, which runs until June 2009, is less than a third of that.

This leaves Alf Taylor to add: “Fans seeing the likes of Albert Luque and Jean Alain Boumsong coming into the club with massive wages must think Steven is also on big bucks, but this is not the case.

“He is not playing for Newcastle for the money, but because he loves football and the club – but it is a short career and the financial aspect is still important.

“Fortunately, while he is disappointed, Steven has never – nor ever will – let it affect his performance on the field.

“He is a local lad who only wants to play for his local team.

“But perhaps this is why his contract offer is not in the same category as those players who are coming in from all over the place.

“Yet I do not see this being a problem at Liverpool with Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher.”

STEVEN TAYLOR has turned down a new five-year contract with Newcastle United.

The Taylor camp tell me that the financial terms of the contract are “completely inadequate” and it is something which concerns the young defender, who will captain the England Under-21 side in their match in Montenegro tonight.

Taylor’s dad Alf, who is looking after his son’s affairs these days, told me today: “I only hope they are not trying to force Steven out.

“He loves Newcastle United and it is the only club he wants to play for, but he is most disappointed at what they are offering him.”

United have made a formal offer to Taylor of a new five-year contract with a three-year option, but this has been rejected by the player.

Obviously footballers talk among themselves, especially about how much each earn, and Taylor will be very much aware how much United have come up with for James Milner and Charles N’Zogbia, who had their contracts reviewed and signed new deals at St James’ Park in the past couple of weeks.

And the word from Bolton is that Abdoulaye Faye is picking up £30,000 a week after joining United last week.

Yet at the moment, Taylor’s basic wage in his current deal, which runs until June 2009, is less than a third of that.

This leaves Alf Taylor to add: “Fans seeing the likes of Albert Luque and Jean Alain Boumsong coming into the club with massive wages must think Steven is also on big bucks, but this is not the case.

“He is not playing for Newcastle for the money, but because he loves football and the club – but it is a short career and the financial aspect is still important.

“Fortunately, while he is disappointed, Steven has never – nor ever will – let it affect his performance on the field.

“He is a local lad who only wants to play for his local team.

“But perhaps this is why his contract offer is not in the same category as those players who are coming in from all over the place.

“Yet I do not see this being a problem at Liverpool with Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher.”

Here we go.

Well FUCKOFF then.

Mate I nominate you to take over these delicate negotiations. :lol:

Well FUCKOFF then.

Mate I nominate you to take over these delicate negotiations. :lol:

He loves us so much he'll only play if we offer him a pay rise and a new swimming pool with a pool cleaner.

He is not playing for Newcastle for the money, but because he loves football and the club

Fine, what's the problem then?

I'm sure we'd have more respect for footballers and their agents if they didn't talk shite. He's been poor recently as well, and is not the finished product, so should zip it. COmments like 'I only hope they are not trying to force Steven out' are also ridiculous and contemptible.

At the minute he should be starting the match on the bench as hes probably only our 3rd or 4th choice CB now. His deal should reflect that.

Let Spurs have him for silly money if hes going to start getting arsey

Yeh if we can get £10m +

Cacapa has a few years in him and Roz is still young,

For me its right back for now

or left back....on the bench :lol:

He is not playing for Newcastle for the money, but because he loves football and the club

Fine, what's the problem then?

I'm sure we'd have more respect for footballers and their agents if they didn't talk shite. He's been poor recently as well, and is not the finished product, so should zip it. COmments like 'I only hope they are not trying to force Steven out' are also ridiculous and contemptible.

Saw that and it's totally not needed, looks like 'they' are trying to stoke the fire and get some attention.

Edited by Parky

If it true that he's on less than £10k a week and they aren't offering him much of a rise I can understand his frustrations tbf.

From what I undertand Carroll is on £6k and he's a player who's barely figured in the first team squad let alone starting eleven.

Taylor has been our best defender by some way of the last two seasons which has led to him being called up the national squad (even if that was premature).

I'm not advocating stupid money for him but if you consider that Faye appears to be a squad buy and if he's on £30k I would be expecting Taylor to be offered something better than a third of that.

Whilst I personally think the central pairing that played in the last game is currently our best I do believe Taylor is the future for us and I would be very upset if we were to lose him, especially if it were down to us only offering him cut price contract.

And yes before anyone says it the amounts of money he's getting paid already is obscene but that's football I'm afraid.

Nice move having your father do this for you. Can't blame some money-grabbing agent in the aftermath.

Thinks way too much of himself by the looks of things. Promising youngster on the bench, that's it. Needs to get his head down if he wants to attain the importance of N'Zogbia, never mind Carragher or Gerrard.

Taylors far from a great centre back but has the potential to be one, I'd expect him to be offered something like 25-30k a week at this stage with a opportunity to review this in a couple of years. Personally I am somewhat surprised and disappointed at the club for making what looks to be a derisory offer.

Taylors far from a great centre back but has the potential to be one, I'd expect him to be offered something like 25-30k a week at this stage with a opportunity to review this in a couple of years. Personally I am somewhat surprised and disappointed at the club for making what looks to be a derisory offer.

we dont actually know the club have offered though so perhaps we should wait and see what happens

on last seasons form and this so far i'd put taylor int the 20k a week bracket. faye is not worth 30k a week....

the carragher reference makes me shudder, carraghers an excellent defender, taylor doesn't look any where near that class....

While I agree you can't compare the two at the moment, Carragher looked nothing more than a very average premiership player up until a couple of years ago.

I would say Taylor looks a better player now than Carragher did at the same age.

Seeing as how Zoggy has just signed a new contract I'd be interested in seeing how it compares with what Tayls has been offered. They're both young, both have great potential, but both can be affected by the new signings and returns from injuries in regard to their future playing time.